My experiences in downloading Squeak

squeakman
Greetings,

I have been in a bit of a black hole over the past few days in
attempting to get a version of Squeak 3.9 downloaded.  I thought it may
be helpful to list what I did so here goes:

1. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 (web) from here:
http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/

2. Did the following test on the downloaded image: "1 break". What I was
expecting when I did this is a Debugger but instead I got a "Syntax
Error" window with a bunch of meaningless text in the window (at least
to me it was meaningless).

3. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 (dev) from here:
http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-dev/

4. Execute "1 break" and got the same "Syntax Error" window.

5. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 from here: http://www.squeak.org/Download

6. Execute : "1 break" and I got the normal debugger that I expected.

What I conclude from this is that there may be something wrong with the
download images at step 1 and 3 above.

My goal was to have an image with Squeak and Seaside and that is what I
think  the link at steps 1 and step 3 offers but I suspect something is
not right - at least it did not work for me - and I can reproduce the
behaviour.

Eventually I downloaded the "One Click" image from here
http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak
and everything works as I expected.

If there is something wrong with the images at
http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/ I hope that it can be fixed because
an image with seaside, pier and magritte is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers,
Frank

Re: My experiences in downloading Squeak

David Röthlisberger

> 1. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 (web) from here:
> http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/
>
> 2. Did the following test on the downloaded image: "1 break". What I was
> expecting when I did this is a Debugger but instead I got a "Syntax
> Error" window with a bunch of meaningless text in the window (at least
> to me it was meaningless).
>
> 3. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 (dev) from here:
> http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-dev/
>
> 4. Execute "1 break" and got the same "Syntax Error" window.

> My goal was to have an image with Squeak and Seaside and that is what I
> think  the link at steps 1 and step 3 offers but I suspect something is
> not right - at least it did not work for me - and I can reproduce the
> behaviour.

Can you tell me where and how you performed step 2 or 4 in these images?
Because I cannot reproduce the error you got. I executed "1 break" in a
workspace and in a system browser in both images you mentioned and it
worked as it's supposed to work.

Cheers,
David

David Röthlisberger wrote:

>> 1. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 (web) from here:
>> http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/
>>
>> 2. Did the following test on the downloaded image: "1 break". What I
>> was expecting when I did this is a Debugger but instead I got a
>> "Syntax Error" window with a bunch of meaningless text in the window
>> (at least to me it was meaningless).
>>
>> 3. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 (dev) from here:
>> http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-dev/
>>
>> 4. Execute "1 break" and got the same "Syntax Error" window.
>
>> My goal was to have an image with Squeak and Seaside and that is what
>> I think  the link at steps 1 and step 3 offers but I suspect something
>> is not right - at least it did not work for me - and I can reproduce
>> the behaviour.
>
> Can you tell me where and how you performed step 2 or 4 in these images?
> Because I cannot reproduce the error you got. I executed "1 break" in a
> workspace and in a system browser in both images you mentioned and it
> worked as it's supposed to work.
>
> Cheers,
> David

I performed steps 2 and 4 in a workspace.

I will perform steps 1 to steps 4 again to verify my results and I will
get back to you.

I don't know if it matters but I am running Windows XP,

David Röthlisberger wrote:

>> 1. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 (web) from here:
>> http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/
>>
>> 2. Did the following test on the downloaded image: "1 break". What I
>> was expecting when I did this is a Debugger but instead I got a
>> "Syntax Error" window with a bunch of meaningless text in the window
>> (at least to me it was meaningless).
>>
>> 3. Downloaded Squeak 3.9 (dev) from here:
>> http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-dev/
>>
>> 4. Execute "1 break" and got the same "Syntax Error" window.
>
>> My goal was to have an image with Squeak and Seaside and that is what
>> I think  the link at steps 1 and step 3 offers but I suspect something
>> is not right - at least it did not work for me - and I can reproduce
>> the behaviour.
>
> Can you tell me where and how you performed step 2 or 4 in these images?
> Because I cannot reproduce the error you got. I executed "1 break" in a
> workspace and in a system browser in both images you mentioned and it
> worked as it's supposed to work.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Well I am sticking to my story :)  I re-installed Squeak 3.9 dev from
scratch and I get the same results.

Also, I tried it on another windows machine and I get the same results
(as described above).

Cheers,
Frank

Re: My experiences in downloading Squeak

David Röthlisberger

> Well I am sticking to my story :)  I re-installed Squeak 3.9 dev from
> scratch and I get the same results.

ok, this is strange...
I'm using Squeak 3.9 dev on a Mac, so the problem could be indeed related to Windows
and the VM.

Can you send me the whole text you get when this "Syntax Error" occurs?

David

Re: My experiences in downloading Squeak

Damien Cassou-3
I can't reproduce that on my Linux computer.

Damien Cassou

Damien Cassou wrote:
> I can't reproduce that on my Linux computer.
>
> 2007/12/16, Squeaker <[hidden email]>:

After a lot of messing around I think I have stumbled on what is causing
the problem.  When I remove the sources file "SqueakV39.sources" things
work as expected - I get a debugger and things seem normal.

To summarize, if I remove SqueakV39.sources then things work perfectly.
If I add SqueakV39.sources then it fails.
I can reproduce this behaviour at will.

Cheers,
Frank

Re: My experiences in downloading Squeak

Rudolf Rednose
David Röthlisberger schrieb:

>> Well I am sticking to my story :)  I re-installed Squeak 3.9 dev from
>> scratch and I get the same results.
>
> ok, this is strange...
> I'm using Squeak 3.9 dev on a Mac, so the problem could be indeed
> related to Windows and the VM.
>
> Can you send me the whole text you get when this "Syntax Error" occurs?
>
> David

On Windows XP
VM: 3.10.6 of 2007-08-07
IMAGE: sq3.9-7067dev07.09.2.image
it presents this:

Thank you for looking at it.

--
Rudolf

Re: My experiences in downloading Squeak

Hans-Martin Mosner
Squeaker schrieb:

> Damien Cassou wrote:
>> I can't reproduce that on my Linux computer.
>>
>> 2007/12/16, Squeaker <[hidden email]>:
>>

> After a lot of messing around I think I have stumbled on what is
> causing the problem.  When I remove the sources file
> "SqueakV39.sources" things work as expected - I get a debugger and
> things seem normal.
>
> To summarize, if I remove SqueakV39.sources then things work perfectly.
> If I add SqueakV39.sources then it fails.
> I can reproduce this behaviour at will.
Is it possible that you did not download SqueakV39.sources as a binary file?
If it is stored as a text file on a windows computer, your FTP program
will mess up the line end characters (Windows insists on using CRLF in
files).

To check, see whether your file has a size of exactly 17584742 bytes. If
it does not, it is broken.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: My experiences in downloading Squeak

Brian Rice
It may be that your .sources file is corrupted, possibly due to its
being interpretable as text. Try deleting it and downloading it
freshly from the Squeak site, making sure to download it as a binary
file rather than text.

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com

Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:

> Squeaker schrieb:
>> Damien Cassou wrote:
>>> I can't reproduce that on my Linux computer.
>>>
>>> 2007/12/16, Squeaker <[hidden email]>:
>>>

>> After a lot of messing around I think I have stumbled on what is
>> causing the problem.  When I remove the sources file
>> "SqueakV39.sources" things work as expected - I get a debugger and
>> things seem normal.
>>
>> To summarize, if I remove SqueakV39.sources then things work perfectly.
>> If I add SqueakV39.sources then it fails.
>> I can reproduce this behaviour at will.
> Is it possible that you did not download SqueakV39.sources as a binary file?
> If it is stored as a text file on a windows computer, your FTP program
> will mess up the line end characters (Windows insists on using CRLF in
> files).
>
> To check, see whether your file has a size of exactly 17584742 bytes. If
> it does not, it is broken.
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin

Yes!!! That was the problem. Thanks you very much.

Re: My experiences in downloading Squeak

Rudolf Rednose
David Röthlisberger schrieb:

>> Well I am sticking to my story :)  I re-installed Squeak 3.9 dev from
>> scratch and I get the same results.
>
> ok, this is strange...
> I'm using Squeak 3.9 dev on a Mac, so the problem could be indeed
> related to Windows and the VM.
>
> Can you send me the whole text you get when this "Syntax Error" occurs?
>
> David

On Windows XP
VM: 3.10.6 of 2007-08-07
IMAGE: sq3.9-7067dev07.09.2.image
it presents this:

(( oops now with picture ) or text )

----
"Treat the current selection as an expression; evaluate it and return the time
took for this evaluation"
        | result rcvr ctxt cm v valueAsString |
        self lineSelectAndEmptyCheck: [^ -1].

        (model respondsTo: #doItReceiver)
                ifTrue: [FakeClassPool adopt: model selectedClass.  "Include model pool vars
if any"
                                rcvr _ model doItReceiver.
                                ctxt _ model doItContext]
                ifFalse: [rcvr _ ctxt _ nil].
        Cannot store into ->result _ [
                cm := rcvr class evaluatorClass new
                        compiledMethodFor: self selectionAsStream
                        in: ctxt
                        to: rcvr
                        notifying: self
                        ifFail: [FakeClassPool adopt: nil. ^ #failedDoit]
                        logged: false.
                Time millisecondsToRun:
                        [v := cm valueWithReceiver: rcvr arguments: (Array with: ctxt)].
        ]
                on: OutOfScopeNotification
                do: [ :ex | ex resume: true].
        FakeClassPool adopt: nil.

        "We do not want to have large result displayed"
        valueAsString := v printString.
        (valueAsString size > 30) ifTrue: [valueAsString := (valueAsString copyFrom: 1
        PopUpMenu
                inform: 'Time to compile and execute: ', result printString, 'ms res: ',
valueAsString.
----

Thank you for looking at it.

--
Rudolf

1 break syntax error.gif (18K) Download Attachment