My namespace proposal described in Yet Another Try

123

Re: My namespace proposal described in Yet Another Try

Chris Muller-3
Well, I really don't see much harm.  Let's say I decide I want no part
of Goran's proposal but many in the community moved forward with it.
Now I want to use code from one of the proponents.

The only difference is their classes will be spelled with a :: in
there somewhere.  I can't dictate how classes are spelled now any
less, so what's the harm?

On 10/4/07, Jason Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/21/07, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Well I have to admit, there seems to be no harm in doing Göran's
> > proposal.  It's an incremental step forward that should buy us a LOT
> > of time, probably as much as we'll ever need.  Also, like he said,
> > does not preclude migrating to any other namespace solutions in the
> > future.
>
> But it can be harm.  Not to pick on traits, but to take it as an
> example.  Have they helped?  Andreas at least doesn't think so, and we
> still haven't seen conclusive evidence that they are going to help as
> implemented.  If they turn out to be a bad idea how are they going to
> get ripped out again?
>
> And that's something that isn't even getting used that much.  The
> namespaces will probably be used very quickly.  I'm surprised there
> are no packages that depend on them already.

Re: My namespace proposal described in Yet Another Try

Chris Muller-3
Because the default image makes me type the longer prefixes.  Göran's
proposal allows me to just type (and read) the "local" names.

It's really nothing more than delineating the prefix so the tools can
make it easier for the human.

On 10/4/07, Jason Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/21/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We use two letter prefixes because we're forced to see them and type them
> > constantly, with Göran's proposal, it'd be much more common to use
> > Magritte:: or Magma:: as the prefix since you wouldn't be typing it, it'd
> > resolve naturally when you just used the short class name.  Granted this
> > doesn't help existing packages with short prefixes, but it'd help new code.
> > If it worked well, I'd sure take the time to rename my code to use it.
>
> I have a question:  What is stopping you from using them right now
> today?  Most of what you write is for private use, no?  If so you can
> use namespaces until your hearts content.  You could even make scripts
> to change Magritte and co to switch to the namespaces when loaded into
> your image, so that you don't have to type the prefixes anymore.
>
> Why do you need this to be in the default image to use it for private code?

RE: My namespace proposal described in Yet Another Try

Ramon Leon-5
> Because the default image makes me type the longer prefixes.
> Göran's proposal allows me to just type (and read) the "local" names.
>
> It's really nothing more than delineating the prefix so the
> tools can make it easier for the human.

I wish everyone could see just how pragmatic that tiny little thing is and
how much mileage we could get out of it without confusing the issue with
security, packaging, code loading, all the other issues that keep preventing
any progress from being made.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

123