MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

nacho
Hi folks!
I'm using MySQL to hold some data on commodities prices for futures valuation and want to - of course  - use Smalltalk as a front-end. Which framework would you recommend?
This is a good opportunity for me to push Pharo in the company I work for. I want to leverage after that on Roassal and other visualization tools. But the data is already in a SQL database.
Thanks in advance
Nacho

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
I recommend the Glorp interface. Sensible API, clean, it works.

Nacho, what is your data source? You have the data in MySQL, but do you need to put it in MySQL? If not, I would encourage you to use an object-model persistence/DB approach.

-Cam

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nacho,

I guess Glorp can be regarded as gold standard for o/r mapping in Smalltalk. Feel free to ask questions on the glorp group on google groups.

Joachim

Am <a href="tel:27.03.2015%2022" value="+12703201522">27.03.2015 22:21 schrieb nacho <[hidden email]>:

> Hi folks!
> I'm using MySQL to hold some data on commodities prices for futures
> valuation and want to - of course  - use Smalltalk as a front-end. Which
> framework would you recommend?
> This is a good opportunity for me to push Pharo in the company I work for. I
> want to leverage after that on Roassal and other visualization tools. But
> the data is already in a SQL database.
> Thanks in advance
> Nacho
>

> -----
> Nacho
> Smalltalker apprentice.
> Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

Pierce Ng-3
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 02:21:01PM -0700, nacho wrote:
> I'm using MySQL to hold some data on commodities prices for futures
> valuation and want to - of course  - use Smalltalk as a front-end. Which
> framework would you recommend?

There is a pure Smalltalk MySQL driver on Squeaksource. Not sure whether
it has been moved to SS3 or STH.

  http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbMysqlProtocol

Others have suggested Glorp. Glancing at the code, seems Glorp currently only
works with VisualWorks' MySQL driver. Based on my experience integrating
NBSQLite3 into Glorp, I'd say it will take about a day or two, depending on the
design of the driver. I've tested abovementioned MySQL driver with some version
of MySQL5 some months ago.

Pierce

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

volkert-2
I have similar plans and also want to use MySQL under Windows.

Olivier points me to  ODBC connector (http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/ODBC).

Merwan points me to a MySQL driver (http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~DBXTalk/MysqlDriver).

Anyway: Can someone tell me, if DBXtalk is the way to go?

BW,
Volkert

Am 27.03.2015 um 22:21 schrieb nacho:
Hi folks!
I'm using MySQL to hold some data on commodities prices for futures
valuation and want to - of course  - use Smalltalk as a front-end. Which
framework would you recommend?
This is a good opportunity for me to push Pharo in the company I work for. I
want to leverage after that on Roassal and other visualization tools. But
the data is already in a SQL database.
Thanks in advance
Nacho

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 29 Mar 2015, at 04:47, Pierce Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 02:21:01PM -0700, nacho wrote:
>> I'm using MySQL to hold some data on commodities prices for futures
>> valuation and want to - of course  - use Smalltalk as a front-end. Which
>> framework would you recommend?
>
> There is a pure Smalltalk MySQL driver on Squeaksource. Not sure whether
> it has been moved to SS3 or STH.
>
>  http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbMysqlProtocol
>
> Others have suggested Glorp. Glancing at the code, seems Glorp currently only
> works with VisualWorks' MySQL driver. Based on my experience integrating
> NBSQLite3 into Glorp, I'd say it will take about a day or two, depending on the
> design of the driver. I've tested abovementioned MySQL driver with some version
> of MySQL5 some months ago.

It would be very good to have another Glorp solution with a pure Smalltalk implemented DB driver, like the PostgresV2 one. IMHO this is way less error prone than the whole library/driver/.. mess on all these different platform.

Sven

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 6:07 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2015, at 04:47, Pierce Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 02:21:01PM -0700, nacho wrote:
>> I'm using MySQL to hold some data on commodities prices for futures
>> valuation and want to - of course  - use Smalltalk as a front-end. Which
>> framework would you recommend?
>
> There is a pure Smalltalk MySQL driver on Squeaksource. Not sure whether
> it has been moved to SS3 or STH.

http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbMysqlProtocol

> Others have suggested Glorp. Glancing at the code, seems Glorp currently only
> works with VisualWorks' MySQL driver. Based on my experience integrating
> NBSQLite3 into Glorp, I'd say it will take about a day or two, depending on the
> design of the driver. I've tested abovementioned MySQL driver with some version
> of MySQL5 some months ago.

It would be very good to have another Glorp solution with a pure Smalltalk implemented DB driver, like the PostgresV2 one. IMHO this is way less error prone than the whole library/driver/.. mess on all these different platform.

Since our Glorp refactor back years ago...adding a Glorp adaptor (DatabaseDriver subclasses) should be very very easy.
So yes, it would be nice to do it for the MySQL driver...but I thought we already had that...

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

MerwanOuddane

Here it is: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~DBXTalk/MysqlDriver

> Others have suggested Glorp. Glancing at the code, seems Glorp currently only
> works with VisualWorks' MySQL driver. Based on my experience integrating
> NBSQLite3 into Glorp, I'd say it will take about a day or two, depending on the
> design of the driver. I've tested abovementioned MySQL driver with some version
> of MySQL5 some months ago.

It would be very good to have another Glorp solution with a pure Smalltalk implemented DB driver, like the PostgresV2 one. IMHO this is way less error prone than the whole library/driver/.. mess on all these different platform.

Since our Glorp refactor back years ago...adding a Glorp adaptor (DatabaseDriver subclasses) should be very very easy.
So yes, it would be nice to do it for the MySQL driver...but I thought we already had that...

Me and some other students made an adaptator for the MySQL Driver written in smalltalk based on the one for PostgresV2, you can find it here: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ThomasHeniart/GlorpDriverMySQL

There is a method NativeMySQLDriver>>beGlorpDefaultDriver to use it as native driver for glorp.

We posted it on the mailing list one and a half month ago ^^

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

nacho
Hi!
@Cameron: Yes the data is in a MySQL database. I could do a dump and save it as CVS or plain text, should be no problem but I think I prefer to keep it as a SQL database as the new data gets updated automatically.

@Mariano: I installed Glorp and as you say, the driver is there, altough in the class comments it says that is not complete yet. I would take a look these days to see if it works properly.

Thanks for your support!!
Cheers
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

nacho
Thanks for all the input.
I've managed to download Glorp and the MySQL Glorp driver.
However I'm having serious difficulties in setting it to work.
I've search for some documentation in the Glorp page but seems there's a problem with Google Drive.
Is there any place to search / look at an example on how to actually connect, map and query a SQL database from Pharo?
Thanks in advance
Nacho!
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Of general educational nature are two Glorp guides that I know of:
1) Glorp / User Guide  by Nevin Pratt, and
2) San Diego State University "Glorp Tutorial" by Roger Whitney.

-
Otherwise, there are members on this board who can direct your attention to test code to test your configuration.

Good luck,
Cam

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:14 AM, nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for all the input.
I've managed to download Glorp and the MySQL Glorp driver.
However I'm having serious difficulties in setting it to work.
I've search for some documentation in the Glorp page but seems there's a
problem with Google Drive.
Is there any place to search / look at an example on how to actually
connect, map and query a SQL database from Pharo?
Thanks in advance
Nacho!

-----
Nacho
Smalltalker apprentice.
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

jtuchel
Hi,

the most current documentation of (the most current) Glorp ships with
VisualWorks. So your best bet is downloading their PUL product.

The two tutorials mentioned by Cameron are not too outdated yet to be
useless, but The DescriptorSystem has learned quite a few tricks since
the time those were written. You need to ask your favorite search engine
where to find them. I don't know of an official, still current place.
Some other sprinkles of information can be found in several slide decks
by Niall from ESUG 2013 and 2014. Very helpful once you've taken the
first hurdle.

I think, however, you can forget about Glorp.org as a source of
information. It is painfully unmaintained at least it was when I last
took a look.

Sorry if I sound destructive. I use Glorp daily and like it very much.
Niall and Instantiations are helpful in bug fixes and stuff it, but they
sure cannot help in learning the basics.

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: MySQL framework for Pharo to analyze futures and options.

MerwanOuddane
There is a mail Niall send me after I asked him for documentation

Good luck ;)

Merwan