Mysteries of the Squeak IDE

Blake-5
If you open up a Workspace and enter some text, then close it, you get the
message:

"Changes have not been saved.
Is it OK to cancel those changes?"

If you answer yes, the window closes and all text is gone If you answer
no, and then save, and then close, you get no message. The window closes.
And the text is just as gone as it was when you didn't save it.

Now, I've found that saving the text allows you to revert to it with an
"undo".

And it's happened at least once that I could save text in a workspace,
open a new "blank" workspace and "undo" to the last saved text, though
that doesn't always seem to work.

What's the desired behavior?

Re: Mysteries of the Squeak IDE

cedreek
2007/7/15, Blake <[hidden email]>:
> If you open up a Workspace and enter some text, then close it, you get the
> message:
>
> "Changes have not been saved.
> Is it OK to cancel those changes?"
>
> If you answer yes, the window closes and all text is gone If you answer
> no, and then save, and then close, you get no message. The window closes.
> And the text is just as gone as it was when you didn't save it.

do you save with alt+s ?  this is not actually saving but accepting...
hence it goes in the method PluggableTextMorph>>accept
the morph model accept the contents...
in this case model is a aWorkspace and the method acceptContents:
aString is sent to it... which only affect the string to its instance
var named contents... There can be an associated action but it's set
to nil by default...

> Now, I've found that saving the text allows you to revert to it with an
> "undo".
yes...

> And it's happened at least once that I could save text in a workspace,
> open a new "blank" workspace and "undo" to the last saved text, though
> that doesn't always seem to work.
I've noticed a similar behavior once...  this seems to be a bug
somewhere in the undo command...

> What's the desired behavior?
just affecting the inst-var I guess... + perform the action when a
particular one is associated

Cédrick

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 05:28:29 -0700, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> do you save with alt+s ?  this is not actually saving but accepting...

It stops the "exit without saving" messages, though, doesn't it.

>> What's the desired behavior?
> just affecting the inst-var I guess... + perform the action when a
> particular one is associated

 From the end-user standpoint, it seems...counter-intuitive.<s>