Namespaces

Pinku Surana-2
What is the current state of namespaces in Squeak? Is there a programming convention to prevent name clashes?

Thanks.

Re: Namespaces

Herbert König
Hello Pinku,

PS> What is the current state of namespaces in Squeak? Is there a
PS> programming convention to prevent name clashes?

many discussions in the past, see the archives of squeak-dev, one
proposal from Göran Krampe (SqueakMap package loader, namespaces),
work in progress from Michael van der Gulik as part of his work on a
secure Squeak (project secure Squeak on Squeaksource).

Otherwise everybody either has his own conventions or the names just
don't overlap.

Herbert

Re: Namespaces

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
For the time being, just add a suffix to all your classes, group them in packages and pray anybody use the same sufixes/package names
:)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Pinku Surana <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the current state of namespaces in Squeak? Is there a programming convention to prevent name clashes?

Thanks.

Re: Namespaces

Bert Freudenberg
Prefixes are much more common. Actually, I have never seen anybody use
suffixes.

- Bert -

On 30.04.2008, at 17:18, Miguel Cobá wrote:

> For the time being, just add a suffix to all your classes, group
> them in packages and pray anybody use the same sufixes/package names
> :)
>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Pinku Surana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> What is the current state of namespaces in Squeak? Is there a
> programming convention to prevent name clashes?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Namespaces

Bert Freudenberg
You should reserve tongue-in-cheek remarks for the dev list. Beginners
tend to take advice literally.

The convention is to use prefixes.

There have been proposals (and working implementations) to reify the
prefixes so you could write My::Class instead of MyClass (and possibly
omit the "My::" part). However, no proposal has been adopted yet.

- Bert -

On 30.04.2008, at 17:33, Marcin Tustin wrote:

> Thus making suffixes an excellent choice.
>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Prefixes are much more common. Actually, I have never seen anybody
> use suffixes.
>
> - Bert -
>

> On 30.04.2008, at 17:18, Miguel Cobá wrote:
>
> For the time being, just add a suffix to all your classes, group
> them in packages and pray anybody use the same sufixes/package names
> :)
>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Pinku Surana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> What is the current state of namespaces in Squeak? Is there a
> programming convention to prevent name clashes?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Namespaces

Michael Davies-2
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Pinku Surana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the current state of namespaces in Squeak? Is there a programming
> convention to prevent name clashes?

There's a manually maintained list at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3318 that may be helpful.

Re: Namespaces

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Pinku Surana <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the current state of namespaces in Squeak? Is there a programming convention to prevent name clashes?

Sorry for the slow reply. I haven't been on this list much lately.

I'm actively developing a "proper" Namespaces solution that runs on Squeak; the tools currently work although they're pretty rough, and I'm currently writing tests and fixing bugs. See http://gulik.pbwiki.com/Namespaces and http://gulik.pbwiki.com/Packages for more info.

Why do you ask?

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg