NetNameResolver/ifconfig/interfaces

Chris Cunnington
DM:

"(1) Do we want to return an IPV4 address from the network lookup? or an IPV6 address?

(2) What do we do when we have 2 or more active IP interfaces on the machine, prompt for which one to use?"

I not too interested in IPV6.

I like this idea:

NetNameResolver interfaceIP: 'ppp0'

If people are already using a shell script workaround that hard-codes the interface name, then how about we use that as a model, and move that capability into the image? It seems to me we can satisfy developers by doing that.

For end users, they'd need to be prompted with FillInTheBlankMorph, or something, because the permutations of possible interfaces is too large.

Chris

Re: NetNameResolver/ifconfig/interfaces

Jon Hylands
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:32:59 -0500, Chris Cunnington
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I not too interested in IPV6.
>I like this idea:
>NetNameResolver interfaceIP: 'ppp0'
>If people are already using a shell script workaround that hard-codes the interface name, then how about we use that as a model, and move that capability into the image? It seems to me we can satisfy developers by doing that.

I agree with this - this would be awesome to have. I know which
interface I want an IP address from, so let me provide that...

Later,
Jon