New Cobalt Release For 20081111

John Dougan
After some delays due to a security problem with the server, there is a new release build of Cobalt. This release has:

  • More improvements to the UI and it's support,
  • Fixes to the SSL and crypto packages including many more root certs (thanks to Darius for help and doing all the legwork getting the certs in),
    • Still a problem with TLS sometimes not connecting properly to some servers. Work on this is in progress.
  • An upgrade of the Jabber client code to drop the old Jabber protocol and to support XMPP,
    • Currently it sends passwords in the clear, so don't use without TLS if you value your account. I recommend that you use a disposable test account at jabber.org until we have TLS working properly.
  • Peter Moore has released a new version of the motion cycle avatar package with the use of shader_objects as optional.
    • Please test this as on low and high end machines.
    • It would also be a good thing if you could send us a save file from http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ with your problem report. If you're on unix/linux please send the output from glxinfo
    • I have it so it should vary the rendering depending on the platform support.  If this seems to be wrong, please let me know.
  • A new version of the KMZ/Collada importer from Khai Fong Phua.
    • This still has some glitches but should handle a wider variety of KMZ/Collada input.
    • Please report on the mailing list any KMZ files it cannot handle.
  • Fixed Croquet.sh to use Unix line-ends.

This build will be at http://www.duke.edu/~jd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-200811111.zip once it's finished uploading.

Cheers,
  -- John

====================
Name: CobaltUI-jrd.19
Author: jrd
Time: 28 October 2008, 1:34:11 pm
UUID: b6891df1-6e00-411a-9096-481fa083bb7f
Ancestors: CobaltUI-jrd.18

Changed:

- Added to CoWidgetLibrary showShowDevTools as a property that initializes to false.
- Killed redundant code and refactored CobaltAlphaPrefsWindow.
- Killed redundant code and refactored CCobaltAlphaPrefsPanel.
- Killed redundant code and refactored CCobaltAlphaPrefsPanel.

====================
Name: Tweak-Widgets-jrd.157
Author: jrd
Time: 28 October 2008, 1:15:21 pm
UUID: be789b4a-1950-4bd4-b3ae-c9dd6e91c321
Ancestors: Tweak-Widgets-jrd.156

Changed:

- Added widget library option #shouldShowDevTools. If true, the ui elements can add extra pieces to make dev effort easier. For instance a window frame could add a button that, when pressed, pops an explorer up on the window.

====================
Name: MenuUI-jrd.108
Author: jrd
Time: 28 October 2008, 1:40:02 pm
UUID: 73323703-6959-4a0a-83c9-6ba4c84550c9
Ancestors: MenuUI-jrd.107

Changed:

- Created a CAlphaWindowCostume to serve as a default costume for the CAlphaWindow
    - Moved the alphaSlider here from the CAlphaWindow.
    - Moved much of the updateAlpha: code here from the player.
    - Added a debugButton to the window frame that is only shown if the window is opened when the widget library shouldShowDevTools returns true.  The button currently opens an explorer on the player.
- Refactiored CAlphaWindow
    - Moved a lot of the alpha channel functionality to the costume.
    - Canged the default costume to CAlphaWindowCostume.

====================
Name: Cryptography-jrd.12
Author: jrd
Time: 30 October 2008, 7:51:46 pm
UUID: 7692c36e-0d92-4228-a936-806cf1c57771
Ancestors: Cryptography-jrd.11

Changed:

- Added new ASN.1 data types as I'm seeing them in real certificates: VisibleString and GeneralString.

====================
Name: SSL-jrd.6
Author: jrd
Time: 31 October 2008, 11:37:22 am
UUID: fb8ce59a-f717-4488-ac14-8daf117f2ef7
Ancestors: SSL-jrd.5

Changed:

- What I hope is a fix to SSLCertificateRequestMessage>>fromStream: to convert a 2 byte ByteArray length read into an integer.  This code would never have worked in the past...I'm not sure how it hasn;t been fixed before.

====================
Name: Chat-jrd.73
Author: jrd
Time: 1 November 2008, 3:07:59 am
UUID: 9445ad7b-7044-4869-bc4e-77da7ef469a5
Ancestors: Chat-jrd.72

Changed:

- A bunch of work in aid of debugging the protocol implementation
    - Rewrote the unit tests to eliminate the use of the CChatListener and make it a bit more modular
    - CChatListener changes to check to see if the activeProject is nil befor trying to kill it.
    - IMClient has a debug flag instance var set with >>debugLevel: .  Notable values it can take are:
        - #logging, which forces use of a StreamSocket wrapper (assuming insecure Jabber/xmpp client) that logs all the bits to the transcript
        - #showProtocol, which turns on the Incoming/outgoing protocol printing
    - event handling modified to take a defaultHandler.
    - Spelling error fixed in dispatchUnknown:
- Extended protocol handler to partially process the 'stream:features' stanza
    - Currently only handles the mechanisms and the request option.
    - Added features ivar to JabberClient that is set to the instance of JabberStreamFeatures (new class) created when the 'stream:featurs' is encountered.
    - currently the client doesn't do anything else with it, but it the mechanisms option MUST be used to drive the sign in process.
- Created LoggingSocketStream, a wrapper for StreamSocket that logs all the data sent to and received from the SocketStream.
    - Don't really need it for the TLSSocketStream as it's much easier to log the SSLSocket than the normal Socket.

====================
Name: 3DTransform-pbm.19
Author: pbm
Time: 28 October 2008, 5:29:29 pm
UUID: 6a20cb95-ae86-41dd-9358-59ec6a07cfab
Ancestors: 3DTransform-bgf.18

Added a Matrix4x4Array class to simplifiy some matrix operations that are common between shader and non-shader vertex animations.

====================
Name: SkeletalAnimation-pbm.77
Author: pbm
Time: 28 October 2008, 5:22:01 pm
UUID: 508661ab-df3f-45b3-9e46-ff082deef327
Ancestors: SkeletalAnimation-jrd.76

First cut at a non-shader animation path. I've added a new useShaders iVar to TAnimatedMesh. The default value is false. If we want to experiment with shaders we should add a toggle to the menu. I could be missing something so this needs to be tested on a system without shader support, which I don't have easy access to.

====================
Name: SSL-jrd.7
Author: jrd
Time: 2 November 2008, 2:03:42 am
UUID: 4c0a8694-3c41-4b92-9aa3-96fc51cc0490
Ancestors: SSL-jrd.6

Changed:

- SSLClientWaitingForServerHelloDone>>processCertificateRequestMsg: changed to return true instead of self.  The old behavior was causing a MustBeBoolean to be raised when testing to see if the state should be transitioned. I have no idea if this is the right place to do this.

====================
Name: Chat-jrd.74
Author: jrd
Time: 2 November 2008, 2:09:04 am
UUID: 4716be3d-710e-4ca5-9405-9ec5cb58c4b8
Ancestors: Chat-jrd.73

Changed:

- A start at moving the protocol support to XMPP.
    - Added sasl auth request protocol entity, only PLAIN is supported right now
    - Some fixes in the stream:features support
    - fixed brokenness in the default handler
    - test now works to a point with jabber.org

====================
Name: Chat-jrd.75
Author: jrd
Time: 8 November 2008, 11:18:59 am
UUID: 8d1123d1-32a9-486f-bd7c-af88f74a5440
Ancestors: Chat-jrd.74

Changed:

- Changed the connection handshake sequenc to support XMPP instead of the old Jabber protocol.
    - CJabberChatWindow now holda a ref to the assigned JID, not the requested one.
    - CJabberChatWindow>>newChat: now outputs an ellipsis if there is no message body.
    - JabberClient now keeps track of the server assigned JID.
    - In JabberCLientIQ created alias accessors for query, called bind to be clearer in resource binding.
    - JabberClientIQ now unmarchals be getting the first element, not the element called query, since we are now handling resource binding
    - JabberClientMessage now has ivars to track presence activity for later use.
    - JabberClientStreamError now tries to use a denamespaces form to pull out the error text.
    - JabberClient now will bind the user resource after the sasl authentication
    - JabberClient now does Plaintext SASL authentication, only.
    - JabberClient wil now establish an IM session after the resiource binding
    - JabberClient now reads the stream:features and uses it to determins the next step in the login.
    - Added a restartCommunication method to the JaberClient to enable the stream restart used by starttls and sasl.
    - Added JabberIDBindQuery
    - Added JabberIQSessionQuery
    - Added JabberSalsAuth, JabberSaslAuthFailure, JabberSaslAuthSuccess
    - Added JabberStreamFeatures
- Changes to the Chat system for easier debugging.
    - CChatListener will do a stack dump to the Transcript on fatal error
    - JabberBasicTests rewritten again.
    - added a clean exit facility to the receive perocess
- IMClient>close refacrtored

====================
Name: Cobalt-Chat-jrd.4
Author: jrd
Time: 8 November 2008, 11:20:47 am
UUID: 2914e64a-9b5a-4631-88a1-1be071351ddf
Ancestors: Cobalt-Chat-jrd.3

Changed:

- CAccountListItem>>setupCostume changed to remove some of the custom colors. That should be done in the costumes.

====================
Name: SSL-jrd.8
Author: jrd
Time: 8 November 2008, 11:25:21 am
UUID: 99161698-852c-4512-93ff-9e763d32e9aa
Ancestors: SSL-jrd.7

Changed:

- Added a whole bunch of logging to see what is happening

====================
Name: SSL-dgc.9
Author: dgc
Time: 8 November 2008, 6:20:40 pm
UUID: 38454b1d-24d4-1547-b892-2708012470e3
Ancestors: SSL-jrd.8

Added more root certificates as copied from Firefox.
Added ability to import all certificats found in a directory. This loads .crt files which have been saved in the X.509 Certificate (PEM) format. See example in comment in method: #loadRootCertificatesFromDir: aPathString
e.g.: SSLCertificateStore loadRootCertificatesFromDir: 'C:\Certs\'
This creates a new method in the 'root certs to add' method category for each certificate file. The method returns the certificate text to be loaded in the class field dictionary the same as the other certificates.

Mostly affects SSLCertificateStore class.

====================
Name: Collada-kayef.21
Author: kayef
Time: 11 November 2008, 10:54:10 pm
UUID: baf1c44f-dbf6-a848-a0f6-00589f4cc7e0
Ancestors: Collada-kayef.20

Added separate function to cobalt menu

====================
Name: OpenGL-Core-jrd.6
Author: jrd
Time: 11 November 2008, 5:17:52 pm
UUID: 11d64215-f1a0-4aae-aa7f-c2834f3a362e
Ancestors: OpenGL-Core-pbm.5

Changed:

- Fong has modified the OpenGL>>primCount:forMode: method to handle GLLines, GLPolygon and GLLineLoop for the Collada import.

====================
Name: Collada-jrd.22
Author: jrd
Time: 11 November 2008, 5:19:41 pm
UUID: cca2977a-bdeb-4c09-966d-4109a96d27e3
Ancestors: Collada-kayef.21

Changed:

- Moved the OpenGL>>primCount:forMode: to the OpenGL-Core package.

====================
Name: MenuUI-jrd.109
Author: jrd
Time: 11 November 2008, 5:23:20 pm
UUID: 0ddc26e5-dc91-43d7-a0a9-b989bb69e8e9
Ancestors: MenuUI-jrd.108

Changed:

- Added method to forward jabberClient: messages to the CroquetMenuProject from the CroquetMenuWorld

====================
Name: SkeletalAnimation-jrd.78
Author: jrd
Time: 11 November 2008, 5:44:11 pm
UUID: c5280c67-620a-40a4-a592-d6cd9aeb177e
Ancestors: SkeletalAnimation-pbm.77

Changed:

- Modified TAminatedMesh to check if the OpenGL has support for shader_objects before rendering.  If so, use the shaders. if not, don't.  Required removing direct refs to useShaders.

====================
Name: Croquet-Harness-jrd.136
Author: jrd
Time: 11 November 2008, 5:45:55 pm
UUID: 72561cf7-9e33-4c74-8b9a-0d8fbd1a85c9
Ancestors: Croquet-Harness-jrd.135

Changed:

- Added predicate hasShaderObjectsSupported to OpenGL.  Is used by the SkeletalAnimation package to determine the level of OpenGL it can rely on.

====================
Name: CobaltUI-jrd.20
Author: jrd
Time: 11 November 2008, 7:01:12 pm
UUID: 980bf6b7-79ce-4696-89c8-592f1dedbfe6
Ancestors: CobaltUI-jrd.19

Changed:

- Added CoWidgetLibrary class>>examples method to show how to switch the dev tools mode on and off.

====================
Name: CobaltUI-jrd.21
Author: jrd
Time: 11 November 2008, 9:30:40 pm
UUID: f5d8b658-165f-4131-afb8-e7a59521cb54
Ancestors: CobaltUI-jrd.20

Changed:

- Removed specific Load KMZ menu item, modidifed general mesh load to incorpotate the functionality

====================
Name: MenuUI-jrd.110
Author: jrd
Time: 11 November 2008, 9:34:28 pm
UUID: f761892d-f115-48ef-94d5-111662d8cf27
Ancestors: MenuUI-jrd.109

Changed:

- modified CroquetMenuProject>>actionImport to incorporate Fong's changes to the kmz loading
- In the process, refactored out the UI dialog gall to get the scale.

====================

John Dougan

Re: New Cobalt Release For 20081111 - Fixed Link

Paul Trattle - DWP
Thanks for the update John. Your url had one too many 1's... :)

Paul

John Dougan

Re: New Cobalt Release For 20081111 - Fixed Link

Andreas.Raab
This version doesn't seem to work at all - it blows up right away
(SqueakDebug.log attached).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

John Dougan wrote:

> Thanks for the correction....one of these days I'll get it right...
>
> Cheers,
>   -- John
>
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 22:54, Paul Trattle - DWP <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the update John. Your url had one too many 1's... :)
>
>     Correct link should be:
>     http://www.duke.edu/~jd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-20081111.zip
>     <http://www.duke.edu/%7Ejd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-20081111.zip>
>
>     Paul
>

> --
> John Dougan
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

SqueakDebug.log (4K) Download Attachment

New Cobalt Release for 20081112

John Dougan
I managed to miss a change in the release, and neglected to run the
final test against Windows so now I have an new release. Available at:
http://www.duke.edu/~jd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-20081112.zip
.

Cheers,
  -- John

====================
Name: Tweak-Basic-jrd.131
Author: jrd
Time: 12 November 2008, 10:51:31 am
UUID: 955a9eb4-48fb-4126-8188-074978b3e30c
Ancestors: Tweak-Basic-ar.130

Changed:

- In CIconLibrary added a symmetrical X icon suitable for use in window
buttons for a close box label.  Is called 'CloseX'

====================
Name: CobaltUI-jrd.22
Author: jrd
Time: 12 November 2008, 10:53 am
UUID: 63ad87d9-fcc3-4195-8c5b-14030beb6503
Ancestors: CobaltUI-jrd.21

Changed:

- Updated the CoWidgetLibrary>>initialize to use the #CloseX icon for
the close icon resource.

====================
Name: Tweak-Basic-jrd.132
Author: jrd
Time: 12 November 2008, 11:43:13 am
UUID: c3263acb-a49c-4b2d-b54a-d381ebbeddec
Ancestors: Tweak-Basic-jrd.131

Changed:

- Fixed CIconLibrary class>>initializeCloseX to use the right icon

====================

Cheers,
  -- John

Andreas Raab wrote:

> This version doesn't seem to work at all - it blows up right away
> (SqueakDebug.log attached).
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
> John Dougan wrote:
>> Thanks for the correction....one of these days I'll get it right...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   -- John
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 22:54, Paul Trattle - DWP
>>
>>     Thanks for the update John. Your url had one too many 1's... :)
>>
>>     Correct link should be:
>>
>> http://www.duke.edu/~jd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-20081111.zip
>>

>> <http://www.duke.edu/%7Ejd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-20081111.zip>
>>

>>     Paul
>>

>> --
>> John Dougan

John Dougan

Re: New Cobalt Release for 20081112

Andreas.Raab
Much better! And you even got the download link right ;-) The avatar
animation works great btw on my little box with no shader support. The
only thing I was wondering about is that the default ninja (?) is
pointed towards the viewer. I'm not sure if this is intentional or if
it's a problem with the software version but other than that this
version works fine. Good job!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

John Dougan wrote:

> I managed to miss a change in the release, and neglected to run the
> final test against Windows so now I have an new release. Available at:
> http://www.duke.edu/~jd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-20081112.zip
> .
>
> Cheers,
>  -- John
>
> ====================
> Name: Tweak-Basic-jrd.131
> Author: jrd
> Time: 12 November 2008, 10:51:31 am
> UUID: 955a9eb4-48fb-4126-8188-074978b3e30c
> Ancestors: Tweak-Basic-ar.130
>
> Changed:
>
> - In CIconLibrary added a symmetrical X icon suitable for use in window
> buttons for a close box label.  Is called 'CloseX'
>
> ====================
> Name: CobaltUI-jrd.22
> Author: jrd
> Time: 12 November 2008, 10:53 am
> UUID: 63ad87d9-fcc3-4195-8c5b-14030beb6503
> Ancestors: CobaltUI-jrd.21
>
> Changed:
>
> - Updated the CoWidgetLibrary>>initialize to use the #CloseX icon for
> the close icon resource.
>
> ====================
> Name: Tweak-Basic-jrd.132
> Author: jrd
> Time: 12 November 2008, 11:43:13 am
> UUID: c3263acb-a49c-4b2d-b54a-d381ebbeddec
> Ancestors: Tweak-Basic-jrd.131
>
> Changed:
>
> - Fixed CIconLibrary class>>initializeCloseX to use the right icon
>
> ====================
>
> Cheers,
>  -- John
>

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> This version doesn't seem to work at all - it blows up right away
>> (SqueakDebug.log attached).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas
>>
>> John Dougan wrote:
>>> Thanks for the correction....one of these days I'll get it right...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>   -- John
>>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 22:54, Paul Trattle - DWP
>>>
>>>     Thanks for the update John. Your url had one too many 1's... :)
>>>
>>>     Correct link should be:
>>>
>>> http://www.duke.edu/~jd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-20081111.zip
>>>

>>> <http://www.duke.edu/%7Ejd135/downloads/cobalt-base-current-build-20081111.zip>
>>>

>>>     Paul
>>>

>>> --
>>> John Dougan

Re: New Cobalt Release for 20081112

Mark P. McCahill-2

On Nov 13, 2008, at 1:19 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Much better! And you even got the download link right ;-) The avatar
> animation works great btw on my little box with no shader support.
> The only thing I was wondering about is that the default ninja (?)
> is pointed towards the viewer. I'm not sure if this is intentional

I assume this is because virtual Ninja warriors never willingly turn
their backs on players like Andreas who are holding weaponized mice ;-)

I think that Ninja is in a total-player-distrust coordinate system -
he always faces me, too

Re: New Cobalt Release for 20081112

askoh
Administrator
I got the following error:
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object is not present

John Dougan

Re: New Cobalt Release for 20081112

Patrick Shouse
Here's a quick hack to get him facing the other way:

In 'TLoadOgreMesh>>buildMesh' comment out the line 'theMesh addRotationAroundY: 180.0'. It's the second to last statement in the method.

Mark P. McCahill-2 wrote