New Introductory Tutorial

EuanM
I've created Yet Another Smalltalk First
Steps tutorial.

This is intended as one of a series.

It is designed to be cross-platform across

    Squeak 5
    Pharo 4
    Seaside 3.1
    Cuis
    Dolphin 6

If you have experience running any of these systems on Windows, Linux
or MacOS, please check to see if I have the instructions correct for
your chosen pairing of Smalltalk and OS platform.

(As you'll see when you look, I do not have detailed instructions for
aspects of MacOS).

The document is at:
http://smalltalkinsmallsteps.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/get-smalltalk-up-and-running.html

(It's intended to move to a different blog after this review process).

I feel the need to do this as cross-Smalltalks tutorial because of
findings and 4 charts  I've placed at:
http://smalltalkinsmallsteps.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/mindshare-of-smalltalk-in-development.html

Essentially, Smalltalk mindshare and use is incredibly tiny, compared
to other languages in the same space.  (We all know this, but seeing
it represented graphically has a more visceral effect, IMO)

Aggregating interest in all the Smalltalks still does not bring more
than a tiny proportion of the interest in, and use of, Ruby.

In turn, Ruby is (quite understandably) small in comparison to JavaScript.

Comparing interest in any specific Smalltalk is, predictably, smaller
than the aggregate interest in Smalltalk.

Our community seems determined to split itself into smaller and
smaller sub-communities.  I think we do ourselves a disservice this
way.

My initial contribution will be to try to provide some explicitly
pan-Smalltalk beginners' tutorials, like this one.

Cheers, and happy Smalltalking,
     EuanM

Re: [Cuis] New Introductory Tutorial

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Euan

Worthwhile to refer to in your tutorial is as well the web version of
the ProfStef Smalltalk tutorial implemented in Amber Smalltalk

http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/trysmalltalk/

(https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/trysmalltalk)

It explains the syntax, control constructs and some basic classes. It
was first implemented in Pharo and then ported.

--Hannes