New Test Release of Siren 7.5

Stephen Travis Pope

Hello all,

There's a new release of the Siren sound/music framework for
VisualWorks 7.5.

You can load the Siren parcel from the Cincom public STORE repository
and get the supporting files from
        http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren/Siren7.5.zip.

In addition to the old Siren features, we've added SWIG-generated
external APIs to the Loris
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/loris
and CSL
        http://create.ucsb.edu/CSL
packages (work in progress)

The mailing list is [hidden email]., admin page at
        http://www.create.ucsb.edu/mailman/listinfo/squeakaudio.

Here's the intro text:

This is the Siren 7.5 Music/Sound Package for Visualworks Smalltalk

The project home page is,
        http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren

To get the whole release, grab,
        http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren/Siren7.5.zip

The best in-depth doc (book chapter) is in,
        http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren/SirenBookChapter.pdf

The read the demo code workbook, go to,
        http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren/Siren7.5_Workbook.html
        http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren/Siren7.5_Workbook.pdf

What's Siren?

Siren is a software library for music and sound composition,
processing, performance, and analysis; it is a collection of about
250 classes written in Smalltalk-80. Siren uses the Smoke music
description language supports streaming I/O via OpenSoundControl
(OSC), MIDI, and multi-channel audio ports. This version (7.5) works
on VisualWorks Smalltalk 7.5, which is available for free for non-
commercial use, see http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk.

Siren is a programming framework and tool kit; the intended audience
is Smalltalk developers, or users willing to learn Smalltalk in order
to write their own applications. The built-in applications are meant
as demonstrations of the use of the libraries, rather than as end-
user applications. Siren is not a specific MIDI sequencer, nor a
score notation editor, through both of these applications would be
easy to implement with the Siren framework.

There are several elements to Siren:
        the Smoke music representation language
                (music magnitudes, events, event lists, generators, functions, and
sounds);
        voices, schedulers and I/O drivers
                (real-time and file-based voices, sound, score, and MIDI I/O);
        user interface components for musical applications
                (UI framework, tools, and widgets); and
        several built-in applications
                (editors and browsers for Smoke objects).
        external interfaces to real-time I/O and co-processing libraries
                (DLLCC and SWIG external models of dynamic C++ libraries)

See the references for more detailed descriptions and copious code
examples.

If you're new to reading Smalltalk, see the language intro
        http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren/Reading_ST80.txt

To make full use of the Smalltalk code, there are several external
packages that use DLLCC C/C++ glue code to access the LibSndFile,
PortAudio, PortMIDI, FFTW and OSC libraries; the SWIG-based I/O
Interfaces to both CSL (C++ signal synthesis/processing library) and
Loris (analysis/resynthesis tool using bandwidth-enhanced partials)
provide their own Smalltalk models that mirror the C++ class
structure of these packages.

To install these, download and install the required packages, then
look in the DLLCC folder and run the makefile there for each target
library. The links for these are,
        libsndfile - http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile
        portmidi - http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~music/portmusic
        portaudio - http://www.portaudio.com
        fftw - http://www.fftw.org

The experimental SWIG interfaces are in the folders SWIG_Loris and
SWIG_CSL; to use them, you need,
        Loris - http://sourceforge.net/projects/loris
and/or
        CSL - http://create.ucsb.edu/CSL

To build Siren, you start with a 7.5 VisualWorks Smalltalk virtual
image and load the following packages from the release file set,
        Store/PostgreSQL
        BOSS
        DLLCC
        Advanced Tools
        HTTP
        XMLTools
        ComposedTextEditor

Then, in a Store browser, on the Cincom public repository, load
SmaCC* and SWIG before loading the Siren package.

STP, Santa Barbara - Feb. 2007

--
    Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA
    http://HeavenEverywhere.com     http://FASTLabInc.com

pastedGraphic.tiff (3K) Download Attachment

Re: New Test Release of Siren 7.5

Brad Fuller-3
Thanks Stephen,

Nice to see Siren is still active! Have you given up on a Squeak version?

brad

Stephen Travis Pope wrote:

> [...]
>
> The experimental SWIG interfaces are in the folders SWIG_Loris and
> SWIG_CSL; to use them, you need,
>     Loris - http://sourceforge.net/projects/loris
> and/or
>     CSL - http://create.ucsb.edu/CSL
>
> To build Siren, you start with a 7.5 VisualWorks Smalltalk virtual image
> and load the following packages from the release file set,
>     Store/PostgreSQL
>     BOSS
>     DLLCC
>     Advanced Tools
>     HTTP
>     XMLTools
>     ComposedTextEditor
>
> Then, in a Store browser, on the Cincom public repository, load SmaCC*
> and SWIG before loading the Siren package.
>
> STP, Santa Barbara - Feb. 2007
>
> --
>    Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA

brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: New Test Release of Siren 7.5

Stephen Travis Pope

I moved back to VisualWorks from Squeak several years ago, but the
bulk of the Siren code is still "cross-platform."

There's a Siren.st file in the ZIP archive for those who can't load
VW parcels.

stp

--

On Feb 23, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> [...]
>>     CSL - http://create.ucsb.edu/CSL
>> To build Siren, you start with a 7.5 VisualWorks Smalltalk virtual
>> image and load the following packages from the release file set,
>>     Store/PostgreSQL
>>     BOSS
>>     DLLCC
>>     Advanced Tools
>>     HTTP
>>     XMLTools
>>     ComposedTextEditor
>> Then, in a Store browser, on the Cincom public repository, load
>> SmaCC* and SWIG before loading the Siren package.
>> STP, Santa Barbara - Feb. 2007
>> --
>>    Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA
>>    http://HeavenEverywhere.com     http://FASTLabInc.com

> brad fuller
> www.bradfuller.com
> +1 (408) 799-6124

pastedGraphic.tiff (3K) Download Attachment

stefano-franchi
<quote author='Stephen Travis Pope'> Hello all, There's a new release of the Siren sound/music framework for VisualWorks 7.5. You can load the Siren parcel from the Cincom public STORE repository and get the supporting files from http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren/Siren7.5.zip. <\quote> Hello Stephen, I am interested in trying out Siren, but VisualWorks NC is still at version 7.4. Is there an (older) version of Siren that would load into 7.4? The current version available through the Cincom repository fails to load at the post-load phase. Same for the version available through Siren's website. Cheers, Stefano

Re: New Test Release of Siren 7.5

Stephen Travis Pope

Let me look into this!

VisualWorks 7.5 is currently in beta testing, but that means it's only available to registered developers.

I'll test the new Siren on the older VW.

stp

--
   Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA

On Mar 29, 2007, at 4:16 PM, stefano-franchi wrote:

Stephen Travis Pope wrote
Hello all, There's a new release of the Siren sound/music framework for VisualWorks 7.5. You can load the Siren parcel from the Cincom public STORE repository and get the supporting files from http://create.ucsb.edu/Siren/Siren7.5.zip. <\quote> Hello Stephen, I am interested in trying out Siren, but VisualWorks NC is still at version 7.4. Is there an (older) version of Siren that would load into 7.4? The current version available through the Cincom repository fails to load at the post-load phase. Same for the version available through Siren's website. Cheers, Stefano

Sent from the Squeak - Audio mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: New Test Release of Siren 7.5

Stephen Travis Pope

You can get the entire brand-new VW 7.5 beta from

        ftp://[hidden email]//builds/lulu/
CST07NC_mar07.3.iso

stp