New WeeklySqueak Record

Ron Teitelbaum

Hello all,

I know it is bad form to toot our own horn but I thought I’d let everyone know we have a new WeeklySqueak Record for one days traffic.

We had 3535 views today.  That shatters our previous record which was around 2K.  Also of note we have had a number of  >1K days.

I guess someone is reading us!

Ron Teitelbaum

Squeak News Team Member

http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

johnmci
Ah, a stealth announcement of Sophie shipping.

Bunch of critical fixing going in tonight, hopefully better
experience for people tomorrow, unless the Sophie developers all die
from the lack of sleep first.

If any lurker out there is busy reading the web site http://
www.sophieproject.org he'll discover how to connect to the sophie
server, even how to upload a movie.

However:

Right now I'm sitting in my living room trying to figure out why MPEG
quicktime moves (only those) from the server,
cause Squeak/Sophie to lock up 17 seconds into the movie, my test
case is the Alien's Movie book on the server, so don't try that...

Linux

Our beta test group has very few linux users so based on the error
logs I saw today we still have a bit of work to solve things for that
platform, however
that requires a bit of help from the Squeak community since our
resources are a bit limited, if any linux users want to assist that
would be helpful.

On Feb 16, 2007, at 6:55 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I know it is bad form to toot our own horn but I thought I’d let
> everyone know we have a new WeeklySqueak Record for one days traffic.
>

> We had 3535 views today.  That shatters our previous record which
> was around 2K.  Also of note we have had a number of  >1K days.
>

> I guess someone is reading us!
>

> Ron Teitelbaum
>
> Squeak News Team Member
>
> http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

Andreas.Raab
John M McIntosh wrote:
> Ah, a stealth announcement of Sophie shipping.

Congrats! Just grabbed a copy and already the first nit-pick ;-) The
Windows installer has an option saying "add to start menu" but that
works wrongly - when you turn that off it doesn't add a short cut at all
which it should and when you turn it on it only adds it to "all
programs" and not to the start menu as promised.

> Bunch of critical fixing going in tonight, hopefully better experience

Unfortunately, "Load updates" seems to be broken - it complains about
having to close all books first even when I don't open any...

> for people tomorrow, unless the Sophie developers all die from the lack
> of sleep first.

Heh, heh, well get some sleep then. Nice to see Sophie coming along! Now
how do I get this into Croquet I wonder... ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

RE: New WeeklySqueak Record

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi John,

For the record Sophie had 361 hits.  I expect 500 - 1K hits tomorrow not
today!

Ian's video got 2K hits today and 1K yesterday.

Congratulations on the release!  (I should have checked with you first
before publishing!  Sorry about that)

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak News Team Member

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

timrowledge

On 16-Feb-07, at 7:58 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Heh, heh, well get some sleep then. Nice to see Sophie coming
> along! Now how do I get this into Croquet I wonder... ;-)
Perhaps more interesting would be getting croquet worlds into sophie
pages. Well, both. Not to mention eventually making sophie pages be
'3D' so that page turning can be a proper page turning effect.

All it takes is <Dr Evil>One MILLION Euros</Dr Evil> a year. You know
you want to have it.

tim
Bad command or file name.  Go stand in the corner.

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

johnmci
People should be aware that we've put oh close to 200 man months of
coding work into Sophie.
Thus it's not a trivial application and I'm afraid has a number of
more interesting bugs, unlike the one below.

We still have lots more work ahead, well until the funds run out.

Just needs some squeaker to start making content and distributing
Sophie Books.

On Feb 16, 2007, at 7:58 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>> Bunch of critical fixing going in tonight, hopefully better
>> experience
>
> Unfortunately, "Load updates" seems to be broken - it complains
> about having to close all books first even when I don't open any...

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=6131

mmm that menu item might go away. We've another lurking check at
startup that makes people go back to the website and
fetch a new version when we flip the version number.

Also Sophie optionally sends me the crash reports via our server,
sigh....
And yes I think Tim fixed the cursor up problem this evening, since
that was found much earlier today.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

Andreas.Raab
>>> Bunch of critical fixing going in tonight, hopefully better experience
>>
>> Unfortunately, "Load updates" seems to be broken - it complains about
>> having to close all books first even when I don't open any...
>

> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=6131

                       Access Denied.
                  [ Click here to proceed ]

;-)

> Also Sophie optionally sends me the crash reports via our server, sigh....
> And yes I think Tim fixed the cursor up problem this evening, since that
> was found much earlier today.

Ah, good. It's kinda hard to make books if cursor up explodes it ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

johnmci

On Feb 16, 2007, at 9:06 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, "Load updates" seems to be broken - it complains
>>> about having to close all books first even when I don't open any...
>> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=6131
>
>                       Access Denied.
>                  [ Click here to proceed ]

Hah, funny, not for me. Ok, I guess people who want access to the
Sophie mantis stuff should email me.
Likely internally we'll talk about when it all goes public....

> ;-)

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

johnmci

Ok, I'm please to say we (Steven mostly) rewrote the quicktime player
layer to use quicktime movie controlers which seem to use
quite a different execution path (thank you Apple), this resulted in
getting rid of our lockup problem.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

Joshua Gargus-2
On Feb 16, 2007, at 8:16 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 16-Feb-07, at 7:58 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>

>> Heh, heh, well get some sleep then. Nice to see Sophie coming
>> along! Now how do I get this into Croquet I wonder... ;-)
> Perhaps more interesting would be getting croquet worlds into
> sophie pages. Well, both. Not to mention eventually making sophie
> pages be '3D' so that page turning can be a proper page turning
> effect.

I agree that it's interesting to embed both Sophie in Croquet, and
vice versa.  However, although I think that it's pretty clear what it
would mean to embed Sophie in Croquet, I don't think that the reverse
is obvious... what does it mean to incorporate real-time multi-person
interaction into a multimedia document?

As simple example, the last time I looked I didn't notice any webcam
support in Sophie.  I assumed that this omission might be
intentional.  If someone emails me a Sophie document, and the webcam
"at the other end" isn't enabled, do I simply see a blank screen?
What if the webcam is on, but nobody is there (pretty boring)?  The
issues with Croquet seem analogous.

I'm curious to hear any thoughts that the Sophie team have about what
it would mean/require to support real-time interaction in Sophie.

Nice work folks!
Josh

On Feb 17, 2007, at 11:18 PM, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> As simple example, the last time I looked I didn't notice any
> webcam support in Sophie.  I assumed that this omission might be
> intentional.  If someone emails me a Sophie document, and the
> webcam "at the other end" isn't enabled, do I simply see a blank
> screen?  What if the webcam is on, but nobody is there (pretty
> boring)?  The issues with Croquet seem analogous.

Ah, well there are only so many hours in the day, I"m sure Michael
would admit to have done a frightening number of work hours on Sophie
in the last couple of week.
Buried in there are things like import/exporting stickies & highlight
markers for reader/author interactions, and we did fiddle a bit with
pushing live comments on books from readers to all readers of a book
from the server. No there is no collaborative editing environment ,
only so many months in a year, mind since you can embed books in
books and link over the internet to either a sophie server or plain
http server one could imagine some workarounds to allow people to
work on parts of a book.

However we've been really busy building the Rome/Cario rending
underpinning instead of worrying about webcam support. I'll note of
course the
license  http://www.sophieproject.org/about/license, which means
people can take this stuff and run.

There is an extension plugin layer if someone gets around to
documenting it and a fair amount of quicktime  interfacing now, so
adding webcam support *couldn't* be too difficult.

Er just pick that exit to squeak menu item....

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

Hilaire Fernandes-3
John M McIntosh a écrit :

> There is an extension plugin layer if someone gets around to documenting
> it and a fair amount of quicktime  interfacing now, so adding webcam
> support *couldn't* be too difficult.

Oh yes, this extension plugin layer looks very interesting. One may
expect that resource publishers, for let's say a mathematic teaching
material could provide plugin based content to expose interactive
mathematic contents (interactive geometry, graphing system, algebraic
system, etc.) within the normal text flow. The user experience would be
extremely expanded with such interactive books.

Hilaire

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

timrowledge

On 18-Feb-07, at 1:29 AM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Oh yes, this extension plugin layer looks very interesting. One may
> expect that resource publishers, for let's say a mathematic
> teaching material could provide plugin based content to expose
> interactive mathematic contents (interactive geometry, graphing
> system, algebraic system, etc.) within the normal text flow. The
> user experience would be extremely expanded with such interactive
> books.
We have - but don't currently support properly, to be honest -
computed nodes that are intended to provide some of this dynamic
content capability. At the simplest level this would be a way to
provide page numbering (put a computed node that displays the
printstring of the system page counter on the page template) or to
incorporate the current NYSE value etc.
One of the main practical hurdles that has stopped us doing much with
them is the potential  for runaway compositing work. Imagine someone
mistakenly making a computednode that displays the millisecond tick
value every millisecond. Or a random image grabbed from google
images, with the size changing constantly and causing reformatting of
many pages as a result. We got a bit confused trying to work this
part out and left it for later!
I can imagine making a subclass of computednode that wraps some of
that glorious mathmorph stuff to provide graphing.

There is still a *lot* to do. Handling the structured text turns out
to be one of the more complicated things I've ever worked on and
there are still many, many, editing and compositing edge cases to
sort out.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- VENI, VIDI, VICE - I came, I saw, I partied.

Re: New WeeklySqueak Record

Joshua Gargus-2
My apologies, I thought that I was quite clear that I am certainly
not accusing the Sophie team of slacking off by not including webcam
support.   Tim suggested that it might be more interesting to embed
Croquet within Sophie than vice versa.  I'm in favor of embedding
each in the other, but I'm not quite clear on how the Croquet-in-
Sophie embedding would work, and decided that it might be simpler to
examine the case of webcam-in-Sophie (which shares many of the issues
of Croquet-in-Sophie).

I have not read any documentation that suggests that Sophie documents
are anything other than self-contained.  What is the user model for a
multi-user, interactive Sophie document?  If I created a document
that happened to be popular, would I see my DSL connection die
because hundreds of people simultaneously look at the page of the
document with the webcam link?  For that matter, would I have to
install Sophie server software that would accept webcam connection
requests?

These are the types of questions that I have not seen answers to, and
I was simply asking if they have been addressed (at least in
principal) by the Sophie team.

Still curious,
Josh