New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed]

Previous Topic Next Topic

124 messages Options
New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed] – Hi Folks - Thanks to some dedicated OLPC-related work done in Greece by Chris Petsos[1], we now have a Windows VM with Unicode support enable...
I just did a quick test out of curiosity. I did an "update code from server" on a rather old image (Squeak3.9gamma [latest update: #706...
> I'm interested in reports, both good and bad about whether the > clipboard, file, directory and input support behaves as expected. Aft...
Yes, I just fixed that. A left-over call to CreateDirectoryA() would make directory creation impossible and later file creation attempts as we...
Martin v. Löwis wrote: > What I couldn't get working is the listing of file names in the > file browser. To reproduce, create file names u...
Martin v. Löwis wrote: > What I couldn't get working is the listing of file names in the > file browser. To reproduce, create file names u...
I have fixed the problem with directory creation and updated the VM to 3.10.2 which is up in the usual places: http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/...
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.2-bin.zip > http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.2-src.zip...
Martin, > What I couldn't get working is the listing of file names in the > file browser. To reproduce, create file names using Greek,...
> The file path interpretation works on Japanese Windows (see the file > name pane in the attached picture) by changing the > fileName...
Chris, > Don't forget that the VM is sending unicode chars as the sixth data member > of the event buffer. Sure. I looked at th...
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: >> Cause, there have been used Windows functions that convert WCHAR streams >> >> MultiByteToWideC...
>> Japanese locale specific question... does a unicode Japanese character >> fit >> inside a WCHAR struct? > > It do...
>> What I couldn't get working is the listing of file names in the >> file browser. To reproduce, create file names using Greek, Cyri...
>> What I don't understand is: Why do I have to set the language >> environment (*) to make it work? It's Unicode, so Squeak >&...
Martin v. Löwis wrote: >> Hm ... there isn't any easy way to test this I guess? > > It's actually very easy. > > 1. Creat...
Martin, > >> What I don't understand is: Why do I have to set the language > >> environment (*) to make it work? It's Unic...
On Monday 04 June 2007 12:08 am, Andreas Raab wrote: > "Windows VMs always use UTF8-encoded file names now" > Smalltalk pl...
On Jun 4, 2007, at 12:49 , subbukk wrote: > On Monday 04 June 2007 12:08 am, Andreas Raab wrote: >> "Windows VMs always use...
On Monday 04 June 2007 4:28 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote: > > .. filename encoding > > depends on > > filesystem, not the VM pl...
On Jun 4, 2007, at 15:48 , subbukk wrote: > On Monday 04 June 2007 4:28 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote: >>> .. filename encoding >...
> The conditional is incorrect and unnecessary. filename encoding depends on > filesystem, not the VM platform. On a bad operating syst...
>>> Because it is Unicode, a mechanism out of scope of Unicode has to >>> supply language information to do sensible stuff. ...
New Win32 VM (3.10.3) – Hi Folks - [cc: v3dot10 for consideration of related fixes] After a few more rounds of fixes and debugging (incl. the unicodification of t...
> Right, but take a look at the codepage parameter of the functions > > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms776413.aspx >...
Martin v. Löwis wrote: > MultiByteToWideChar certainly works for Japanese code pages, such > as 932 (Japanese Shift-JIS). It works for all...
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > The file path interpretation works on Japanese Windows (see the file > name pane in the attached picture) by ch...
Hi Andreas, I'm not part of the release team, but if they are consistent, and I think they are, they will request unit tests from you before t...
Damien Cassou wrote: > I'm not part of the release team, but if they are consistent, and I > think they are, they will request unit tests ...
On Jun 5, 2007, at 7:02 , Martin v. Löwis wrote: > a) why do I have to configure my image myself to set the language? > (couldn't Squ...
Hi there, looks like this stuff is just in time for the project I'm working on! A couple of problems so far though. Seems that when the Ctrl k...
On Tuesday 05 June 2007 10:25 am, Martin v. Löwis wrote: >It would actually be good if the VM would guarantee UTF-8 file > names on all sy...
El 6/5/07 2:16 AM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab@...> escribió: > Hi Folks - > > [cc: v3dot10 for consideratio...
> I think this is a good candidate to get any pending fixes into 3.10 - I > have posted the list of required fixes to Mantis and would like...
Martin, > Ok. However, this still doesn't answer the questions: > a) why do I have to configure my image myself to set the language? ...
Ralph Johnson wrote: >> I think this is a good candidate to get any pending fixes into 3.10 - I >> have posted the list of required ...
Hi Andreas, When I started Squeakland image with new vm on the desktop (I extracted SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip, and dragged SqueakPlugin.i...
I just did the same without any problems. Can you check to see whether that was a one-time problem or if a different image file works. And if ...
> I'm looking forward to someone explaining to me how to write unit tests > that test the file system encodings and clipboard interface in ...
I think what Takashi meant was to put an image file on the "desktop", which is translated to Katakana characters on Japanese Windows,...
Ah! Indeed this doesn't seem to work correctly. I'll have a look at it. Cheers, - Andreas Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > > I think...
Hi Takashi - The latest version (3.10.4) fixes this and many related problems. Turns out that there were still plenty of places in the whole ...
Hi Andreas, It works with new VM, http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.4-bin.zip Good. I still got primitive failed in S...
subbukk <subbukk@...> writes: > On Tuesday 05 June 2007 10:25 am, Martin v. Löwis wrote: > >It would actually be good if the VM w...
UTF8 Squeak (was Re: New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed]) – On Wednesday 06 June 2007 5:54 pm, Lex Spoon wrote: > Yes, it would seem to simplify matters to use UTF-8 consistently for > interfacing b...
I'd start with Pavel's kernel image: http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/98 If you google Pavel kernel image you can find discussion On 6/7/07, s...
subbukk wrote: > On Wednesday 06 June 2007 5:54 pm, Lex Spoon wrote: >> Yes, it would seem to simplify matters to use UTF-8 consistentl...
I don't know details but I hope that UTF8 Squeak means full Unicode in image and UTF-8 just on the "borders", to OS, to files etc? ...
Re: UTF8 Squeak – On Thursday 07 June 2007 10:00 pm, Janko Mivšek wrote: > I don't know details but I hope that UTF8 Squeak means full Unicode in > image an...
RE: UTF8 Squeak – Each String object should specify its encoding scheme. UTF-8 should be the default, but all commonly-encounterd encodings should be supported, a...
Subbu, At Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:26:14 +0530, subbukk wrote: > > On Wednesday 06 June 2007 5:54 pm, Lex Spoon wrote: > > Yes, it...
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > It might be just a matter of self-defence, but I still think that > the way we did it (i.e., not change the VM ...
> Each String object should specify its encoding scheme. UTF-8 should be the > default, but all commonly-encounterd encodings should be su...
Subbu, > > I don't know details but I hope that UTF8 Squeak means full Unicode in > > image and UTF-8 just on the "borders&...
RE: UTF8 Squeak – Wouldn't that be a pretty big speed impact given how much strings are used? >From: "Alan Lovejoy" <squeak-dev.sourcery@...> ...
Because I'm coming from VisualWorks world, let me explain a bit how the Unicode support is solved there: 1. internally everything is in 16bit...
It is so true that I should've looked at the class names in VW before doing everything... > 1. internally everything is in 16bit Unicode,...
Hi Yoshiki, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > It is so true that I should've looked at the class names in VW > before doing everything... >...
Hi, Janko, > >> 1. internally everything is in 16bit Unicode, without any additionally > >> encoding info attached to ...
Hi Yoshiki, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: >>>> 1. internally everything is in 16bit Unicode, without any additionally >>>> ...
Janko, > > So, the question to you is that if you have a system with 8-bit > > ByteString and 32-bit WideString in year 2007, ...
RE: UTF8 Squeak – <Alan L>Each String object should specify its encoding scheme. UTF-8 should > be the default, but all commonly-encounterd encodin...
<Alan L>UTF-8 should be the default</Alan L> <J J (Jason)>Wouldn't that be a pretty big speed impact given how much strings ...
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 08:16:21PM -0700, Alan Lovejoy wrote: > It is already the case that accessing individual characters from a String >...
Alan, > Well, perhaps UTF-32 would be a better default, now that I think about > it--due to performance issues for accessing character...
Just as a side-note: In Seaside the encoding and decoding turns out to be very complicated and expensive. In fact so expensive, that almost nob...
Lukas Renggli wrote: > Just as a side-note: In Seaside the encoding and decoding turns out to > be very complicated and expensive. In fac...
> > Just as a side-note: In Seaside the encoding and decoding turns out to > > be very complicated and expensive. In fact so expensi...
Lukas Renggli wrote: >> But is that a property of 1) Seaside or 2) Squeak or 3) UTF-8? If the >> first, just fix it ;-) If the secon...
On Friday 08 June 2007 1:25 am, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: .. > > Well, UTF8 is just an encoding of Unicode code points, So, Squeak will >...
On Friday 08 June 2007 2:41 am, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > However, there is a reason to call our stuff m17n, instead of i18n. > It might ...
On Friday 08 June 2007 11:28 am, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > > Of course, for some encodings (such as UTF-8) there would probably be a > &...
Lukas Renggli <renggli <at> gmail.com> writes: > > Another issue I observed is that Characters in Squeak have an > inco...
On Jun 7, 2007, at 11:55 PM, Andreas Raab wrote: > How about trying to improve the speed of conversions? You seem to > imply that th...
Colin Could you say the difference between WidString and UTF-8 (UTF-8 would a specialized WideString?). I got bitten by these encodings pro...
2007/6/9, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse@...>: > Colin > > Could you say the difference between WidString and UTF-8 (UTF-8 w...
On Jun 9, 2007, at 12:24 AM, stephane ducasse wrote: > Could you say the difference between WidString and UTF-8 (UTF-8 > would a spe...
Philippe Marschall wrote: >> I got bitten by these encodings problems and having a nice solution >> would be good. > Well, there...
2007/6/9, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek@...>: > Philippe Marschall wrote: > >> I got bitten by these encodings problems and having ...
Image as a database (was Re: UTF8 Squeak) – Hi Phillipe, Philippe Marschall wrote: > 2007/6/9, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek@...>: >> Philippe Marschall wrote: >> All...
> I admit that I came from VW where I'm running quite a number of web apps > on images which servers also as a sole database and that just ...
RE: UTF8 Squeak – <Philippe>Well, there is what the evil language with J does: UCS2 everywhere, no excuses. This is a bit awkward for characters outside the ...
If you run applications that don't need to execute transactions or care a lot to lose some part of the objects if the application crashes, and y...
FWIW, I believe this is how NSString works on the Mac and it has been unicode capable for a very long time. On Jun 9, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Alan...
Janko Mivšek wrote: > I would propose a hibrid solution: three subclasses of String: > > 1. ByteString for ASCII (native english spea...
On Jun 10, 2007, at 3:55 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote: > I think that this way we can achieve most efficient yet fast > support for all la...
Re: UTF8 Squeakn – On Saturday 09 June 2007 6:59 am, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > It is incomplete in many ways. Sure. But that wasn't the issue you > were r...
Hi Janko - Just as a comment from the sidelines I think that concentrating on the size of the character in an encoding is a mistake. It is re...
On 6/10/07, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek@...> wrote: > > Hi Phillipe, > > Philippe Marschall wrote: > > 2007/6/9, Janko...
2007/6/11, Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg@...>: > > > On 6/10/07, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek@...> wrote: > > Hi Phillip...
On Monday 11 June 2007 2:44 am, Andreas Raab wrote: > Hi Janko - >.... this "encoding-driven" view of > strings makes it per...
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:15:16 +0200, subbukk wrote: > On Monday 11 June 2007 2:44 am, Andreas Raab wrote: >> Hi Janko - >> .... t...
Hi Andreas, Let me start with a statement that Unicode is a generalization of ASCII. ASCII has code points < 128 and therefore always fits...
Hi Colin, Colin Putney wrote: > > On Jun 10, 2007, at 3:55 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote: > >> I think that this way we can achie...
So except for the missing 16-bit optimization this is exactly as we do have now, right? So what is the actual proposal? - Bert - On Jun 1...
Bert Freudenberg wrote: > So except for the missing 16-bit optimization this is exactly as we do > have now, right? So what is the actual...
On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 12:35 +0200, Janko Mivšek wrote: > Hi Andreas, > > Let me start with a statement that Unicode is a generalizati...
On Jun 11, 2007, at 4:04 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote: > Anyone can definitively stay with UTF8 encoded strings in plan > BytString or sub...
Janko, > It seems that this was already a Yoshiki idea with WideString, so I'm > just extending that idea with a TwoByteString to cov...
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > Janko, > >> It seems that this was already a Yoshiki idea with WideString, so I'm >> just exten...
Hi, Michael, > > - Suppose you would like to use different line wrapping algorithms > > for different languages, how would...
On 11/06/2007, at 13:27, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > Janko, > >> It seems that this was already a Yoshiki idea with WideString, so...
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:29:54 +0200, Javier Diaz-Reinoso wrote: ... > perhaps in Squeak is different (no alignment?), but if I doIt: > (...
Hi Colin, Colin Putney wrote: > > On Jun 11, 2007, at 4:04 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote: > >> Anyone can definitively stay with ...
Hi Yoshiki, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > Janko, > >> It seems that this was already a Yoshiki idea with WideString, so I'm >...
Hi Javier, Javier Diaz-Reinoso wrote: > About 2 months ago in the OpenMCL mailing list have this UTF16 vs. UTF32 > discussion: >...
Janko, > Consider image as a database where you store strings from your > application. In that case space efficient but still manipul...
Janko Mivšek wrote: >> so, all of this talk is for about 4 MB extra (in that image squeak >> take 26.8 MB at startup)?. > >...
On Jun 11, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote: >> Is that a fair characterization of your position? > Yes, or just a bit better s...
On Jun 12, 2007, at 8:29 , Colin Putney wrote: > Your proposal is actually to have strings encoded as ISO 8859-1, > UCS-2 or UCS-4. ...
Bert Freudenberg wrote: > Also, the "purity" of Unicode strings does not translate directly into Speaking of which... In Soph...
Michael, > Speaking of which... > In Sophie we discovered that Squeak still uses a not quite unicode > mapping in the text conver...
On Jun 12, 2007, at 18:32 , Michael Rueger wrote: > Bert Freudenberg wrote: > >> Also, the "purity" of Unicode string...
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > That was to keep the image on Windows VM happy. The table is the > "reverse" of the one in the Win...
Michael Rueger a écrit : > Yoshiki Ohshima wrote: > >> That was to keep the image on Windows VM happy. The table is the >&g...
nicolas cellier a écrit : > > Otherwise, Squeak is not unicode internally for some of the characters > from 128 to 255, and this con...
Nicolas, > Both Bert and Yoshiki are right, but to be more precise, this is the > latin1 code page from dos (CP1252) see > http:...
Hi Andreas, Here is an analysis of one VW "image as a database" which runs a document portal for quality management system of one o...
On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:28 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote: > On Jun 12, 2007, at 8:29 , Colin Putney wrote: > > >> Your proposal ...
Hi Janko, > >> 1. internally everything is in 16bit Unicode, without any additionally > >> encoding info attached to str...
Colin Putney wrote: > If a String were a flat array of Unicode code points, it would be > implemented in Smalltalk as an array of Charact...
Hi Janko, Thanks for the numbers, that's quite interesting to see. It seems that the total increase in image size would be roughly 10% all th...
Andreas Raab <andreas.raab <at> gmx.de> writes: > > Colin Putney wrote: > > If a String were a flat array of Unicode...
On Jun 13, 2007, at 1:31 , Colin Putney wrote: > On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:28 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote: > > >> On Jun 12, 2007,...