New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed]

12

Re: New Win32 VM (3.10.3)

Andreas.Raab

I just did the same without any problems. Can you check to see whether
that was a one-time problem or if a different image file works. And if
so, can you try to download the VM again (perhaps there was something
corrupted?). Oh, and finally, check your virus, spyware etc. checker -
they might think to take a closer look on an application that you just
put there and dropped a file on.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> When I started Squeakland image with new vm on the desktop (I
> extracted SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip, and dragged
> SqueakPlugin.image icon to Squeak.exe), I got this error.
>
> Image file read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read)
> Cheers,
> - Takashi
>
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>> After a few more rounds of fixes and debugging (incl. the
>> unicodification of the drag and drop and async file primitives) we
>> have a shiny new 3.10.3 VM which should be usable for a more general
>> audience:
>>
>> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip
>> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-src.zip

Re: New Win32 VM (3.10.3)

Yoshiki Ohshima

  I think what Takashi meant was to put an image file on the "desktop",
which is translated to Katakana characters on Japanese Windows, and
then try to launch the image with the new VM.  I did get the same
error in this way.

-- Yoshiki

At Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:58:20 -0700,
Andreas Raab wrote:

> I just did the same without any problems. Can you check to see whether
> that was a one-time problem or if a different image file works. And if
> so, can you try to download the VM again (perhaps there was something
> corrupted?). Oh, and finally, check your virus, spyware etc. checker -
> they might think to take a closer look on an application that you just
> put there and dropped a file on.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
>
> Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > When I started Squeakland image with new vm on the desktop (I
> > extracted SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip, and dragged
> > SqueakPlugin.image icon to Squeak.exe), I got this error.
> >
> > Image file read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read)
> > Cheers,
> > - Takashi
> >
> > Andreas Raab wrote:
> >>
> >> After a few more rounds of fixes and debugging (incl. the
> >> unicodification of the drag and drop and async file primitives) we
> >> have a shiny new 3.10.3 VM which should be usable for a more general
> >> audience:
> >>
> >> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip
> >> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-src.zip

Re: New Win32 VM (3.10.3)

Andreas.Raab

Ah! Indeed this doesn't seem to work correctly. I'll have a look at it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   I think what Takashi meant was to put an image file on the "desktop",
> which is translated to Katakana characters on Japanese Windows, and
> then try to launch the image with the new VM.  I did get the same
> error in this way.
>
> -- Yoshiki
>
> At Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:58:20 -0700,
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>> I just did the same without any problems. Can you check to see whether
>> that was a one-time problem or if a different image file works. And if
>> so, can you try to download the VM again (perhaps there was something
>> corrupted?). Oh, and finally, check your virus, spyware etc. checker -
>> they might think to take a closer look on an application that you just
>> put there and dropped a file on.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    - Andreas
>>
>> Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

>>> Hi Andreas,
>>>
>>> When I started Squeakland image with new vm on the desktop (I
>>> extracted SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip, and dragged
>>> SqueakPlugin.image icon to Squeak.exe), I got this error.
>>>
>>> Image file read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read)
>>> Cheers,
>>> - Takashi

Re: New Win32 VM (3.10.3)

Andreas.Raab

Hi Takashi -

The latest version (3.10.4) fixes this and many related problems. Turns
out that there were still plenty of places in the whole vm/image path
conversion that were a little unclean to say the least ;-) 3.10.4 allows
me to have both, the VM as well as images sitting in internationalized
directories without any problems. Give it a try.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> When I started Squeakland image with new vm on the desktop (I
> extracted SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip, and dragged
> SqueakPlugin.image icon to Squeak.exe), I got this error.
>
> Image file read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read)
> Cheers,
> - Takashi
>
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>> After a few more rounds of fixes and debugging (incl. the
>> unicodification of the drag and drop and async file primitives) we
>> have a shiny new 3.10.3 VM which should be usable for a more general
>> audience:
>>
>> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip
>> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-src.zip

Re: New Win32 VM (3.10.3)

Takashi Yamamiya

Hi Andreas,

It works with new VM,
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.4-bin.zip
Good. I still got primitive failed in Squeakland image, but it would not
be vm issue. I'll check another image.

Thanks,
- Takashi

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Takashi -
>
> The latest version (3.10.4) fixes this and many related problems. Turns
> out that there were still plenty of places in the whole vm/image path
> conversion that were a little unclean to say the least ;-) 3.10.4 allows
> me to have both, the VM as well as images sitting in internationalized
> directories without any problems. Give it a try.
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> When I started Squeakland image with new vm on the desktop (I
>> extracted SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.3-bin.zip, and dragged
>> SqueakPlugin.image icon to Squeak.exe), I got this error.
>>
>> Image file read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read)
>> Cheers,

12