New Windows VM: 4.0.1

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

I've built a new Windows VM for the upcoming release (mostly to fix the
SqueakMap problem). Good thing I tried it first - it turns out that my
earlier fix for SqueakMap had fixed one particular version of the
problem, but there was another variant that it hadn't addressed (now it
does). With this VM I can use SqueakMap successfully.

However, since this was a major version switch I've also changed two
more issues that came up in the past:

1) The VM will now default to pass the window close event to the image
instead of handling it directly. You can see that in a current trunk
image by clicking on the close button (you'll now get a Squeak notifier
instead of the previous VM notifier). The old behavior is still
available if you SHIFT-Click on the close button. This is very useful if
your image hangs.

2) The VM name now reflects the version. In other words, this VM is
called Squeak4.0.1.exe to make it easier to distinguish between
versions. Unfortunately this also means you'll heave to create a new
association if you want to use this VM (hopefully, the installer will
take care of that later).

As always the VM is available here:

http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-4.0.1-bin.zip
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-4.0.1-src.zip

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: New Windows VM: 4.0.1

Herbert König
Hello Andreas,

AR> 1) The VM will now default to pass the window close event to the image
AR> instead of handling it directly.

Which seems not handled in a 3.8 image.

AR> You can see that in a current trunk
AR> image by clicking on the close button (you'll now get a Squeak notifier
AR> instead of the previous VM notifier).

Does that mean only in current trunk?

AR> The old behavior is still
AR> available if you SHIFT-Click on the close button. This is very useful if
AR> your image hangs.

Works in 3.8

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: New Windows VM: 4.0.1

Bert Freudenberg
On 29.03.2010, at 05:58, Herbert König wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>

> AR> 1) The VM will now default to pass the window close event to the image
> AR> instead of handling it directly.
>
> Which seems not handled in a 3.8 image.

You can modify the VM's ini file to get the old behavior.

> AR> You can see that in a current trunk
> AR> image by clicking on the close button (you'll now get a Squeak notifier
> AR> instead of the previous VM notifier).
>
> Does that mean only in current trunk?

Etoys too ;)

And it's not that hard to support, has been mentioned several times here:

http://n4.nabble.com/squeak-dev-The-version-3-10-does-not-work-on-Linux-td73723.html#a73745

- Bert -