New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

EstebanLM
Hi everybody,

This looks like a good moment of the year to ask all of you what would you want to see in Pharo next year.
Features, improvements, radical changes, etc…. whatever you want.

Of course, this list will not be a roadmap and it does not means we will implement all of it (as always, time drives our possibilities), but is a good moment for us a a community to check where we are and where we wan to go next :)

So, let’s those wishes come!

cheers,
Esteban
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

CyrilFerlicot
On 12/23/2017 05:58 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>

Hi :)

> This looks like a good moment of the year to ask all of you what would you want to see in Pharo next year.
> Features, improvements, radical changes, etc…. whatever you want.
>

I'll list the things I wanted the most those last months :)

- To be able to load a private git project from a private server via
Metacello API
- To be able to depend on a git project from a private server in
BaselineOf/ConfigurationOf
- 64bits vm more recent that does not crash 1/4 of the time (It would
help to deploy apps for some customers with older linux distributions)
- 64bits Windows vm (But as far as I know, there is progress on this
side already)
- Continue to push Iceberg (I am not really specific because I want a
lot on that part. For more details, I open issues on Iceberg repository
often :) )

All those points are in the optic to make business with Pharo easier.

> Of course, this list will not be a roadmap and it does not means we will implement all of it (as always, time drives our possibilities), but is a good moment for us a a community to check where we are and where we wan to go next :)
>

Of course :)

> So, let’s those wishes come!
>

Also, I would like to thanks everyone because I really like my Pharo
journey and it would not be possible without you! :)

> cheers,
> Esteban
>


--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Sounds like a good wish list!

On 23 Dec 2017, at 20:33, Robert Pergl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Santa,

this is what I wish for Pharo in 2018:

- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY
- STABILITY

Thanks a lot!

Your Robert

--
Ing. Robert Pergl, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor at Department of Software Engineering
Head of Centre for Conceptual Modelling and Implementation
ELIXIR CZ representative in the Interoperability Platform

Czech Technical University in Prague, Faculty of Information Technology
Thákurova 9, 160 00 Praha 6, Czech Republic
room: A-935
http://ccmi.fit.cvut.cz
http://www.fit.cvut.cz/en
e-mail: [hidden email]
tel.: +420 777 042 249

On 23 December 2017 at 17:58, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody,

This looks like a good moment of the year to ask all of you what would you want to see in Pharo next year.
Features, improvements, radical changes, etc…. whatever you want.

Of course, this list will not be a roadmap and it does not means we will implement all of it (as always, time drives our possibilities), but is a good moment for us a a community to check where we are and where we wan to go next :)

So, let’s those wishes come!

cheers,
Esteban


--------------------------------------------
Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas 
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley, 
Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In reply to this post by CyrilFerlicot
CyrilFerlicot wrote
> - To be able to depend on a git project from a private server/
*
> repo
*
>  in
> BaselineOf/ConfigurationOf
*
> and automatically clone using SSH keys if needed
*
(Additions to above in bold)

> STABILITY
Of course!

I've been dreaming of most of the rest of my wishlist since 1.1, and it
seems we've been creeping closer and closer:
- Clean, stable low-level UI framework preserving the liveness and
directness of Morphic, which also is infinitely zoomable and supports
multiple (potentially simultaneously-running) worlds
- 100% customizable (per instance) keybindings
- Clean, customizable text editor with intuitive text model (sad to see Tx
disappear, but we seem to have a replacement brewing)
- Multi OS window support (not sure how close we are here)
- Versionner (or its replacement) support for Baselines - hand editing is a
draaaag

Overall, I'm very thankful for all the progress we've made so far. Many of
my wishlist items have been crossed off. Some bigger ones were:
- Intuitive file library (FS)
- Easy (low-barrier) contribution to other people's projects (via git/GH
support)
- Image management (Launcher)
- Image auto-customization (startup scripts)
- Single FFI library with must-have features from different existing (e.g.
async callbacks) (almost there?)
- Lots of integration with standard formats (NeoCSV/JSON, Pillar for MD)
- Massive CI, including issue tracker integration
- Cherry pick commits (Iceberg and Komitter before)
- Real package model, with meta-data (RPackage and manifests)
- In-editor critics with auto-transformations

I can't wait to see what 2018 brings!



-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

abergel
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
My four wishes, in no particular order:
        - Better code completion
        - Git in Pharo as easy as using Git for other languages
        - Bloc on Steroid
        - Being able to interrupt any process and endless loop using Cmd-.

Merry Christmas to all of you!
Alexandre



> On Dec 23, 2017, at 1:58 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> This looks like a good moment of the year to ask all of you what would you want to see in Pharo next year.
> Features, improvements, radical changes, etc…. whatever you want.
>
> Of course, this list will not be a roadmap and it does not means we will implement all of it (as always, time drives our possibilities), but is a good moment for us a a community to check where we are and where we wan to go next :)
>
> So, let’s those wishes come!
>
> cheers,
> Esteban


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Torsten Bergmann
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Hi Esteban,

Many things come to mind:

vm side
=======
 - working SSL for all platforms supporting newest TLS
 - Pharo 64 bit VM for Windows
 - better and more VM plugins (like the camera plugin which would allow us more collaboration)
 - threaded vm for non-blocking usage
 - the VM in a DLL

image
 - cleaning up
 - Calypso inclusion
 - Class annotations in the default image
 - Versionner for editing baselines (instead of manually editing dependencies)
 - unification of all the quality rules
 - support for other content types in browser (like highlighted XML, JSON, Js, ...)
   and managing non-smalltalk project code in git too at the level of projects
 - better completion
 - Bloc inclusion of blocs
 - better widgets and UI
 - a better catalog ("Index")
 - a better file browser
 - filing in/filing out Tonel files also in browser, change sorter, file list (similar to st files)
 - support for I18N (with tools, maybe binding to lib gettext)

general
 - even more tech talks
 - more collaboration tools

Also:
 - making a stable but updateable launcher the default install which is working on all platforms
   so one can use it for Pharo installation and sorting out version or platform specific install issues.

If the list is too short then tell me ;)

Bye
T.

> Gesendet: Samstag, 23. Dezember 2017 um 17:58 Uhr
> Von: "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email], "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: [Pharo-dev] New Year Wishlist (2018) ?
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> This looks like a good moment of the year to ask all of you what would you want to see in Pharo next year.
> Features, improvements, radical changes, etc…. whatever you want.
>
> Of course, this list will not be a roadmap and it does not means we will implement all of it (as always, time drives our possibilities), but is a good moment for us a a community to check where we are and where we wan to go next :)
>
> So, let’s those wishes come!
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Alistair Grant
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Hi Esteban,

- https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/pull/142

Thanks!
Alistair


On 23 December 2017 at 17:58, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> This looks like a good moment of the year to ask all of you what would you want to see in Pharo next year.
> Features, improvements, radical changes, etc…. whatever you want.
>
> Of course, this list will not be a roadmap and it does not means we will implement all of it (as always, time drives our possibilities), but is a good moment for us a a community to check where we are and where we wan to go next :)
>
> So, let’s those wishes come!
>
> cheers,
> Esteban

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Denis Kudriashov
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Hi.

Not blocking FFI, please

2017-12-23 17:58 GMT+01:00 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
Hi everybody,

This looks like a good moment of the year to ask all of you what would you want to see in Pharo next year.
Features, improvements, radical changes, etc…. whatever you want.

Of course, this list will not be a roadmap and it does not means we will implement all of it (as always, time drives our possibilities), but is a good moment for us a a community to check where we are and where we wan to go next :)

So, let’s those wishes come!

cheers,
Esteban

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

kilon.alios
For me 100% bootstrap and anything that helps me minimize the image or completely get rid of it. 

Second place is a GUI designer.

Third place, world peace. 

Santa hates me :D 

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 8:14 PM Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Not blocking FFI, please

2017-12-23 17:58 GMT+01:00 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
Hi everybody,

This looks like a good moment of the year to ask all of you what would you want to see in Pharo next year.
Features, improvements, radical changes, etc…. whatever you want.

Of course, this list will not be a roadmap and it does not means we will implement all of it (as always, time drives our possibilities), but is a good moment for us a a community to check where we are and where we wan to go next :)

So, let’s those wishes come!

cheers,
Esteban

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

HilaireFernandes
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Oh, you asked for that Esteban :)

1. stability

2. Tonel is a nice way to export file (its granularity is just right,
bravo Esteban!) and commit to arbitrary repository, experimenting it
with DrGeo, and it is nice to commit code[1] along other data files of
the project (graphics, doc, translation, etc.). Got some an when non
ascii characters were present in the source code, people reported it
there. Likely to be fixed :)

3. vectorial interface, oh already on its way

4. application builder. Smalltalk/X has a GUI to build a standalone
application, was not able to get it working, but it probably worked at
some time in the past (see screenshot). Such a feature in Pharo will be
fantastic, and likely a kill feature for the ones developing stand alone
application; yes there are still some ;-)

5. fulfill the promise of tiny image, aka bootstrap and 4.

All these wishes are under construction, so likely to happen \o/


I have personal three wishes (beside good health of course), sharing it
in case others are interested to hack on it too:

A. get DrGeo working on P7, particularly on the bootstrap process.

B. Build an environment in Pharo to develop simple games, targeted for
kids. There are some teenagers in my school likely to get interested on
such courses. If it could result in standalone games build thanks to
wish 4., so good.

C. Develop a white board application, easy to extend to add third party
features. The OpenBoard[2] we are using in school are merely goods
(can't get the right tooling to do geometry for example), handwriting is
not nice, hacking on it is super complicated (C++ code), not to mention
the building process. A Pharo based one will be fantastic and much easy
to hack.


Have a nice Christmas!


[1]
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/
[2] http://openboard.ch

Le 23/12/2017 à 17:58, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
> So, let’s those wishes come!

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu


stx-app-builder.png (26K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Torsten Bergmann
A GUI builder is always a nice thing ... and there already was an attempt
for Pharo:

  http://www.squeaksource.com/UIBuilder/

Now marked as "Failed attempt of develop a UI builder for Pharo-Smalltalk. That version
only works in Pharo 1.1. Is opened for any developer.".

Dont know why it failed ... maybe because the UI (especially with Morphic legacy)
is still too shaky are in Pharo.

But I guess the order will be/needs to be:

 - good and stable graphics framework (maybe solved with Bloc)
 - good and stable standardized widget set (maybe solved with Brick)
 - then place a UI builder on top of it

Bye
T.

> Gesendet: Montag, 25. Dezember 2017 um 12:33 Uhr
> Von: Hilaire <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] New Year Wishlist (2018) ?
>
> Oh, you asked for that Esteban :)
>
> 1. stability
>
> 2. Tonel is a nice way to export file (its granularity is just right,
> bravo Esteban!) and commit to arbitrary repository, experimenting it
> with DrGeo, and it is nice to commit code[1] along other data files of
> the project (graphics, doc, translation, etc.). Got some an when non
> ascii characters were present in the source code, people reported it
> there. Likely to be fixed :)
>
> 3. vectorial interface, oh already on its way
>
> 4. application builder. Smalltalk/X has a GUI to build a standalone
> application, was not able to get it working, but it probably worked at
> some time in the past (see screenshot). Such a feature in Pharo will be
> fantastic, and likely a kill feature for the ones developing stand alone
> application; yes there are still some ;-)
>
> 5. fulfill the promise of tiny image, aka bootstrap and 4.
>
> All these wishes are under construction, so likely to happen \o/
>
>
> I have personal three wishes (beside good health of course), sharing it
> in case others are interested to hack on it too:
>
> A. get DrGeo working on P7, particularly on the bootstrap process.
>
> B. Build an environment in Pharo to develop simple games, targeted for
> kids. There are some teenagers in my school likely to get interested on
> such courses. If it could result in standalone games build thanks to
> wish 4., so good.
>
> C. Develop a white board application, easy to extend to add third party
> features. The OpenBoard[2] we are using in school are merely goods
> (can't get the right tooling to do geometry for example), handwriting is
> not nice, hacking on it is super complicated (C++ code), not to mention
> the building process. A Pharo based one will be fantastic and much easy
> to hack.
>
>
> Have a nice Christmas!
>
>
> [1]
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/
> [2] http://openboard.ch
>
> Le 23/12/2017 à 17:58, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
> > So, let’s those wishes come!
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Stephane Ducasse-3
In reply to this post by HilaireFernandes
Hi hilaire

what is nice is that we have most of the same wishes ;)

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, you asked for that Esteban :)
>
> 1. stability
>
> 2. Tonel is a nice way to export file (its granularity is just right, bravo
> Esteban!) and commit to arbitrary repository, experimenting it with DrGeo,
> and it is nice to commit code[1] along other data files of the project
> (graphics, doc, translation, etc.). Got some an when non ascii characters
> were present in the source code, people reported it there. Likely to be
> fixed :)
>
> 3. vectorial interface, oh already on its way
>
> 4. application builder. Smalltalk/X has a GUI to build a standalone
> application, was not able to get it working, but it probably worked at some
> time in the past (see screenshot). Such a feature in Pharo will be
> fantastic, and likely a kill feature for the ones developing stand alone
> application; yes there are still some ;-)


>
> 5. fulfill the promise of tiny image, aka bootstrap and 4.
>
> All these wishes are under construction, so likely to happen \o/
>
>
> I have personal three wishes (beside good health of course), sharing it in
> case others are interested to hack on it too:
>
> A. get DrGeo working on P7, particularly on the bootstrap process.
>
> B. Build an environment in Pharo to develop simple games, targeted for kids.
> There are some teenagers in my school likely to get interested on such
> courses. If it could result in standalone games build thanks to wish 4., so
> good.
>
> C. Develop a white board application, easy to extend to add third party
> features. The OpenBoard[2] we are using in school are merely goods (can't
> get the right tooling to do geometry for example), handwriting is not nice,
> hacking on it is super complicated (C++ code), not to mention the building
> process. A Pharo based one will be fantastic and much easy to hack.
>
>
> Have a nice Christmas!
>
>
> [1]
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/
> [2] http://openboard.ch
>
>
> Le 23/12/2017 à 17:58, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>>
>> So, let’s those wishes come!
>
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Stephane Ducasse-3
In reply to this post by HilaireFernandes
> 1. stability
>
> 2. Tonel is a nice way to export file (its granularity is just right, bravo
> Esteban!) and commit to arbitrary repository, experimenting it with DrGeo,
> and it is nice to commit code[1] along other data files of the project
> (graphics, doc, translation, etc.). Got some an when non ascii characters
> were present in the source code, people reported it there. Likely to be
> fixed :)
>
> 3. vectorial interface, oh already on its way
>
> 4. application builder. Smalltalk/X has a GUI to build a standalone
> application, was not able to get it working, but it probably worked at some
> time in the past (see screenshot). Such a feature in Pharo will be
> fantastic, and likely a kill feature for the ones developing stand alone
> application; yes there are still some ;-)

We would like the same. Now spec was an increment in that direction
because behind the UI builder you need to reuse the model. So
with a pass on spec we will be set to be able to build the builder part

> 5. fulfill the promise of tiny image, aka bootstrap and 4.

Did you see that pavel produced a smaller image than the first
bootstrapped version

>
> All these wishes are under construction, so likely to happen \o/
>
>
> I have personal three wishes (beside good health of course), sharing it in
> case others are interested to hack on it too:
>
> A. get DrGeo working on P7, particularly on the bootstrap process.

Let us know the problem you face because this is important that you can.


> B. Build an environment in Pharo to develop simple games, targeted for kids.
> There are some teenagers in my school likely to get interested on such
> courses. If it could result in standalone games build thanks to wish 4., so
> good.

I'm interested into that this is why I proposed to "laura"
maximilliano to work on such framework.
Now I never got the time to do a pass over it and to release what I learned.
   - direction
   - handling on moves.
   - I created a grid data structure but this is the least interesting part.

If you want we can discuss what I learned.
Also students in Prague are building games on top of Bloc.


> C. Develop a white board application, easy to extend to add third party
> features. The OpenBoard[2] we are using in school are merely goods (can't
> get the right tooling to do geometry for example), handwriting is not nice,
> hacking on it is super complicated (C++ code), not to mention the building
> process. A Pharo based one will be fantastic and much easy to hack.

Is Pharo running on this?

>
>
> Have a nice Christmas!
>
>
> [1]
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/
> [2] http://openboard.ch
>
>
> Le 23/12/2017 à 17:58, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>>
>> So, let’s those wishes come!
>
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Stephane Ducasse-3
In reply to this post by Torsten Bergmann
On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A GUI builder is always a nice thing ... and there already was an attempt
> for Pharo:
>
>   http://www.squeaksource.com/UIBuilder/
>
> Now marked as "Failed attempt of develop a UI builder for Pharo-Smalltalk. That version
> only works in Pharo 1.1. Is opened for any developer.".
>
> Dont know why it failed ... maybe because the UI (especially with Morphic legacy)
> is still too shaky are in Pharo.

The developer stopped when he saw that he could not build a excel like grid.
I tried to rescue its effort but it was too large to recover.


> But I guess the order will be/needs to be:
>
>  - good and stable graphics framework (maybe solved with Bloc)
>  - good and stable standardized widget set (maybe solved with Brick)
>  - then place a UI builder on top of it
>
> Bye
> T.
>
>> Gesendet: Montag, 25. Dezember 2017 um 12:33 Uhr
>> Von: Hilaire <[hidden email]>
>> An: [hidden email]
>> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] New Year Wishlist (2018) ?
>>
>> Oh, you asked for that Esteban :)
>>
>> 1. stability
>>
>> 2. Tonel is a nice way to export file (its granularity is just right,
>> bravo Esteban!) and commit to arbitrary repository, experimenting it
>> with DrGeo, and it is nice to commit code[1] along other data files of
>> the project (graphics, doc, translation, etc.). Got some an when non
>> ascii characters were present in the source code, people reported it
>> there. Likely to be fixed :)
>>
>> 3. vectorial interface, oh already on its way
>>
>> 4. application builder. Smalltalk/X has a GUI to build a standalone
>> application, was not able to get it working, but it probably worked at
>> some time in the past (see screenshot). Such a feature in Pharo will be
>> fantastic, and likely a kill feature for the ones developing stand alone
>> application; yes there are still some ;-)
>>
>> 5. fulfill the promise of tiny image, aka bootstrap and 4.
>>
>> All these wishes are under construction, so likely to happen \o/
>>
>>
>> I have personal three wishes (beside good health of course), sharing it
>> in case others are interested to hack on it too:
>>
>> A. get DrGeo working on P7, particularly on the bootstrap process.
>>
>> B. Build an environment in Pharo to develop simple games, targeted for
>> kids. There are some teenagers in my school likely to get interested on
>> such courses. If it could result in standalone games build thanks to
>> wish 4., so good.
>>
>> C. Develop a white board application, easy to extend to add third party
>> features. The OpenBoard[2] we are using in school are merely goods
>> (can't get the right tooling to do geometry for example), handwriting is
>> not nice, hacking on it is super complicated (C++ code), not to mention
>> the building process. A Pharo based one will be fantastic and much easy
>> to hack.
>>
>>
>> Have a nice Christmas!
>>
>>
>> [1]
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/
>> [2] http://openboard.ch
>>
>> Le 23/12/2017 à 17:58, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>> > So, let’s those wishes come!
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Stephane Ducasse-3
About the application builder we will continue to work on the effort
and lamrc is interested to show that we can
build real applications with Pharo. So I really hope that something
will happen this year.

Stef

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A GUI builder is always a nice thing ... and there already was an attempt
>> for Pharo:
>>
>>   http://www.squeaksource.com/UIBuilder/
>>
>> Now marked as "Failed attempt of develop a UI builder for Pharo-Smalltalk. That version
>> only works in Pharo 1.1. Is opened for any developer.".
>>
>> Dont know why it failed ... maybe because the UI (especially with Morphic legacy)
>> is still too shaky are in Pharo.
>
> The developer stopped when he saw that he could not build a excel like grid.
> I tried to rescue its effort but it was too large to recover.
>
>
>> But I guess the order will be/needs to be:
>>
>>  - good and stable graphics framework (maybe solved with Bloc)
>>  - good and stable standardized widget set (maybe solved with Brick)
>>  - then place a UI builder on top of it
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>
>>> Gesendet: Montag, 25. Dezember 2017 um 12:33 Uhr
>>> Von: Hilaire <[hidden email]>
>>> An: [hidden email]
>>> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] New Year Wishlist (2018) ?
>>>
>>> Oh, you asked for that Esteban :)
>>>
>>> 1. stability
>>>
>>> 2. Tonel is a nice way to export file (its granularity is just right,
>>> bravo Esteban!) and commit to arbitrary repository, experimenting it
>>> with DrGeo, and it is nice to commit code[1] along other data files of
>>> the project (graphics, doc, translation, etc.). Got some an when non
>>> ascii characters were present in the source code, people reported it
>>> there. Likely to be fixed :)
>>>
>>> 3. vectorial interface, oh already on its way
>>>
>>> 4. application builder. Smalltalk/X has a GUI to build a standalone
>>> application, was not able to get it working, but it probably worked at
>>> some time in the past (see screenshot). Such a feature in Pharo will be
>>> fantastic, and likely a kill feature for the ones developing stand alone
>>> application; yes there are still some ;-)
>>>
>>> 5. fulfill the promise of tiny image, aka bootstrap and 4.
>>>
>>> All these wishes are under construction, so likely to happen \o/
>>>
>>>
>>> I have personal three wishes (beside good health of course), sharing it
>>> in case others are interested to hack on it too:
>>>
>>> A. get DrGeo working on P7, particularly on the bootstrap process.
>>>
>>> B. Build an environment in Pharo to develop simple games, targeted for
>>> kids. There are some teenagers in my school likely to get interested on
>>> such courses. If it could result in standalone games build thanks to
>>> wish 4., so good.
>>>
>>> C. Develop a white board application, easy to extend to add third party
>>> features. The OpenBoard[2] we are using in school are merely goods
>>> (can't get the right tooling to do geometry for example), handwriting is
>>> not nice, hacking on it is super complicated (C++ code), not to mention
>>> the building process. A Pharo based one will be fantastic and much easy
>>> to hack.
>>>
>>>
>>> Have a nice Christmas!
>>>
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/
>>> [2] http://openboard.ch
>>>
>>> Le 23/12/2017 à 17:58, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>>> > So, let’s those wishes come!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr. Geo
>>> http://drgeo.eu
>>>
>>>
>>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

HilaireFernandes
In reply to this post by Torsten Bergmann
In case of, at wish 4. I did not write a GUI builder but really an
application builder: a tool to let you build up the image and the needed
VMs, and pack it appropriately for the end user. As it is manually done
for Dr.Geo.


Le 25/12/2017 à 14:17, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :
> A GUI builder is always a nice thing ... and there already was an attempt
> for Pharo:

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

HilaireFernandes
In reply to this post by Stephane Ducasse-3
I really don't mean a GUI builder :-)


Le 25/12/2017 à 15:57, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>> 4. application builder. Smalltalk/X has a GUI to build a standalone
>> application, was not able to get it working, but it probably worked at some
>> time in the past (see screenshot). Such a feature in Pharo will be
>> fantastic, and likely a kill feature for the ones developing stand alone
>> application; yes there are still some;-)
> We would like the same. Now spec was an increment in that direction
> because behind the UI builder you need to reuse the model. So
> with a pass on spec we will be set to be able to build the builder part
>

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Building an application with P7

HilaireFernandes
In reply to this post by Stephane Ducasse-3
Let's discuss it in another thread.

Until now, I moved slowly to update the drgeo build script to adjust to
Tonel file repository and P7; mostly done now. Will now look for help
from Pavel to build the drgeo image from a tiny core.

About the other problems to get a user ready drgeo application based on
the forthcoming P7:

- set up an application 64bits VMs architecture for Linux, OS X and
Windows (aka one-click image). I understand the later may be a problem
as there is not yet 64bits VMs.

- get over the strange oddities appearing with P7, long and tedious but
mandatory; otherwise this sets back drgeo as an end user (student,
teacher)  will immediately run away if drgeo is unpredictable. It really
took me a long time to get drgeo right on P3 because these oddities only
show up at runtime, under specific scenario. There are easy to fix,
thought. Writing more tests should help too.

Hilaire


Le 25/12/2017 à 15:57, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :

>> 5. fulfill the promise of tiny image, aka bootstrap and 4.
> Did you see that pavel produced a smaller image than the first
> bootstrapped version
>
>> All these wishes are under construction, so likely to happen \o/
>>
>>
>> I have personal three wishes (beside good health of course), sharing it in
>> case others are interested to hack on it too:
>>
>> A. get DrGeo working on P7, particularly on the bootstrap process.
> Let us know the problem you face because this is important that you can.
>
>

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Year Wishlist (2018) ?

Evan Donahue
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Given the recent stirrings of AI-related applications in Pharo, I guess I'm
wishing for vm support for vector operations/fast math. I heard something
about that a while ago on the polymath chanel, so I figure it can't hurt to
wish.

Evan



--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Simple game framework

HilaireFernandes
In reply to this post by Stephane Ducasse-3
You may have different kind of games; for example in 2D games, it could
be fixed frame, side scrolling, up scrolling, isometric, etc. To get it
started easily, it could come with graphic and audio banks.

I really don't have much idea how such a general system should be
designed. Only wrote once a commercial decades ago on ARM code.

Will look a the bloc tutorial for game[1]

[1] https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Tutorials/


Le 25/12/2017 à 15:57, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :

>> B. Build an environment in Pharo to develop simple games, targeted for kids.
>> There are some teenagers in my school likely to get interested on such
>> courses. If it could result in standalone games build thanks to wish 4., so
>> good.
> I'm interested into that this is why I proposed to "laura"
> maximilliano to work on such framework.
> Now I never got the time to do a pass over it and to release what I learned.
>     - direction
>     - handling on moves.
>     - I created a grid data structure but this is the least interesting part.
>
> If you want we can discuss what I learned.
> Also students in Prague are building games on top of Bloc.
>
>

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu



123