New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

Americo Damasceno
We have 2 new lessons published.

At the second, we explain how to test the "multiplayer" resources of your
island.

We explain also why we are talking only about WiFi networks.

And you will know the reasons to exist this "WonderLand paradigma" in
Croquet/Cobalt.

Try, play, enjoy, let us know your feedback, your doubts etc., here at this
list.

The address is the same like ever:

http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Basic_Croquet-Cobalt_Island_Creator_Manual

Thanks.

Re: New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

Jose L. Salmeron
Dear Americo,

I am agree with you when you said that "I believe that 50% of my readers
abandoned this Manual when I said that Cobalt is not for make money. Now
other 45% will go away, because I will say that Cobalt is not for
Internet."

Anyway, I am keeping yet.

Regards
Jose L. Salmeron <[hidden email]>

Re: New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

Les Howell
On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 10:24 +0200, Jose L. Salmeron wrote:

> Dear Americo,
>
> I am agree with you when you said that "I believe that 50% of my readers
> abandoned this Manual when I said that Cobalt is not for make money. Now
> other 45% will go away, because I will say that Cobalt is not for
> Internet."
>
> Anyway, I am keeping yet.
>
> Regards
It seems to me that making profit is what keeps computers coming out and
new software being generated.  A friend of mine says "Every man needs
rice", and that is true.  Free coding works for people who do this as a
hobby, and who have good secure jobs with time to do this "on the side"
or as part of their jobs like in colleges, but the rest of the world
needs rice.

I Like and support the idea of a free operating system, and I appreciate
and utilize free software, and because I am retired, most of what I run
is free or I couldn't have it.  But there are projects out there, people
out there, places out there that have other needs.  Can't we find some
way to accommodate them as well?

I am just beginning (again) to work with Croquet and Cobalt to help a
friend do a major project.  His project will be free and donated to a
good cause, and I am supported by my retirement and work on the side, so
for me it is an easy decision.  But for others it is not so easy.  With
that said, my algorithms will be released to the community, as many of
you have done already.  I hope they will help someone.

Regards,
Les H

Re: New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

Jose L. Salmeron
You're right. I have a permanent position but I need more money (as the
rest of the world).

If Cobalt/Croquet is just a free software effort, maybe a lot of people
(including me) will go to other projects as ogoglio, Wonderland, and so
on.

Anyway, Qwaq is getting money with a croquet-based software.

--
Jose L. Salmeron <[hidden email]>
http://www.upo.es/eps/salmeron/

Re: New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

Peter Moore-5
I don't get it. Clearly anyone can create a product built on top of Croquet/Cobalt and charge whatever they like for it. Qwaq has done this and I imagine that eventually others will too.

It should be noted that the content of Americo's tutorials are his own thoughts and opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of the Croquet Consortium or any of the people who have helped develop Croquet.

Peter B. Moore
Academic Computing - Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota

On Apr 7, 2008, at 11:40 AM, Jose L. Salmeron wrote:

You're right. I have a permanent position but I need more money (as the
rest of the world).

If Cobalt/Croquet is just a free software effort, maybe a lot of people
(including me) will go to other projects as ogoglio, Wonderland, and so
on.

Anyway, Qwaq is getting money with a croquet-based software.

--
Jose L. Salmeron <[hidden email]>

Re: New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

waufrepi III
I'm glad this thread is out there because this be an important issue to me. So I have a permanent position, maybe semi permanent once I finish my Masters, and like to play with Croquet...and Squeak...really the keyword is play cause its a bit of a game to me.  So I invest time playing with this new(to me) Croquet thing

and I think -well besides the simple joy of it, how can I capitalize on my efforts in the future?

Since to capitalize has somehow become an evil, I tiptoe in these waters in order to avoid attack.

I ponder the idea that as Croquet/Cobalt matures as a platform some other smart Universities will join the ranks of those who have already adopted the thing and opportunities to produce instructional content for faculy will arise....especially as distance learning solutions attract greater numbers of students...... and especially as the type of student base changes.

yet this, I hope, this is only a day job scenerio(not to diminish what's already been done) because when I tap into my imagination I think more of the entertainment possibilities of the system. While including the possibility of developing games, for me entertainment has a much wider reach. (I am honestly terrible at video games, {Xcept for the Wii!}). Regardless, whichever way the content is organized, the question is how a team (none of this is a one person job) can make a profit both for a specific piece of content as well as for becoming a self sustaining entity capabable of producing more content. I'm not sure yet, but I think as the community grows the documentation base grows....... and the different focus points will include other uses for Croquet as the users become more diverse. I really do expect that some of issues will work out, there are people working on the thing that are nothing short of brilliant.

I am constantly telling myself as I learn about Croquet  that the "product" is relatively young today..... so I wait, and learn, make mistakes and learn. .....most importantly I imagine. (I remember an introductory video on Croquet with Dr. Kay in which he stated that this was the limit of system). I try to give back with what I know( just happens to be Blender stuff)..... and I feel guilty that Americo is shouldering much of the responsibility today (gracefully).

If at some future date I could make money with this, I wouldn't feel guilty doing so. if not then I've had the pleasure of learning the (very beautiful) language Squeak.

wfpi

ps

   anyone care to make some comparisons between the stuff being done at Squeakland and Flash?

pps

  I'm little delayed on my Tutes........went for a little tango this weekend.

Thanks.

Re: New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

Jose L. Salmeron
I found a litte bug in the 'Island Creator/Creating Your First Island
(conclusion)' lesson.

The code must be:

sound1:= StreamingMP3Sound onFileNamed:
 (FileDirectory pathFrom:
           {FileDirectory default pathName.  'FirstaliaCT'. 'sounds' .'applause1.mp3'}).

The path for mp3 file was wrong. The correct directory is FirstaliaCT
and not Firstalia. If you run the island with a wrong path, it will be
frozen.

Jose L. Salmeron <[hidden email]>

Re: New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

Americo Damasceno
Thanks, Salmeron.
Fixed.
Like I said, the feedback of ours readers is very important.

Re: New lessons. And the WonderLand paradigma explained.

Ric Moore
On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 15:03 -0400, waufrepi III wrote:

> I'm glad this thread is out there because this be an important issue
> to me. So I have a permanent position, maybe semi permanent once I
> finish my Masters, and like to play with Croquet...and Squeak...really
> the keyword is play cause its a bit of a game to me.  So I invest time
> playing with this new(to me) Croquet thing
>

> and I think -well besides the simple joy of it, how can I capitalize
> on my efforts in the future?
>
> Since to capitalize has somehow become an evil, I tiptoe in these
> waters in order to avoid attack.

Just look at Red Hat, in the Linux world. They give away the farm, so to
speak, you can readily have all of their software for nothing. And you
are allowed to spend the time to read all the docs, the email lists and
so forth to get something like sendmail to work, after investing in the
education which is your perfect right to do.

Or, you can hire RedHat service to assist you in administrating to your
needs immediately and then go one to other things. You have the freedom
to chose which path you wish to go on. If you have no bucks, then you
better start reading the docs. If you are funded, you can buy support.
Even better yet, once you fully grok sendmail, you can then earn money
from others, not from the software, but by your labor. No need to think
inside the box that would tell you to sell software. I mean just who has
actually coded anything new?? New enough to say Pay ME! instead of all
the people ahead of you that gave you the tools to work and learn from.

Say you use Croquet to develop an application. For you to be paid for
the software, morally you owe Croquet, Squeak, SmallTalk, and whatever
came before that. So, just making it free all around is, to me, morally
safer. Just charge others, that can afford to pay so they don't wait to
be self educated, for your labor, while sharing what you know freely.
You just might be teaching a man to fish, instead of providing only one
meal. If what you know is valuable enough, you can earning a living from
it.

The creator of the Craig's List was interviewed on TV. He lives modest,
has modest needs, and sets aside some for retirement, but does not drain
his company by demanding a huge income for himself, in order to get
"stinking rich", which he most certainly could do. So, if the issue is
"getting stinking rich" by putting a price tag on something, which was
created by standing on the shoulders of giants, IMHO that asks for a
look at personal perceptions. We all are in "Gift Debt" to those that
came before us.

That's why I prefer Linux, as that "Gift Debt" is repaid by adding
something of ourselves to the community. Just like with Croquet. With
the "other OS" any application improvement to the community will have
pop-up ads, shareware, beg-ware, limited use, you name it. I personally
don't like that. So, my plan for our project is to give it away, and
opportunities will arise that will create jobs to service it ...for
folks that need the work, coming out of prisons and back to society.

No one will get "stinking rich" but lives can become enriched in many
ways, including with a prospect for some pay or grow into full time pay.
How well we do our thing will reflect there and become in demand or not,
strictly on the merits of the job we do. My two cents, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too