New lessons. In 3D !!!!

12

Re: New lessons. In 3D !!!!

Les Howell
On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 14:32 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 22:14 -0400, waufrepi III wrote:
> > hi Les,
> >
> >   you need to extract to your 'cache' directory
> >

> > http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/blender1.zip
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/blender2.zip
> >
> > found in the manual here
> >
> > http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Island_Creator/Blender_Basic_Lessons_TOC
> >
> > that should clear up the blurryness.
> >
> > copying and pasting the URL won't cause any problems with Croquet.
> >
> > also, you are using your own copy of the Island so don't worry about
> > messing anything up.
> >
> > finally, if you you need to revisit the info....say you closed a
> > window with text that you need to reference again you can always copy
> > and paste the Isalnd URL back into your Cobalt "browser" and re-enter
> > the island....well that's one way
>
> Ok, with Les's help, following his procedure, I now finally see Alice. I
> have to ask, was it the original intent to place Cobalt into a working
> Croquet directory?? Missing the working pieces when I installed cobalt
> into it's own directory and expecting it to work as shipped, neither Les
> nor I had a clue that we needed so much of Croquet slapped into the
> Cobalt directory. Was Cobalt to be installed into the Croquet
> directory?? Or was missing the Croquet images just a mistake?? Sure was
> plenty confusing, and I didn't see reference that mentioned doing what
> Les and I had to do anywhere in the install directions. Just
> disappointed that it took over a month or so to resolve this, on Les's
> dime. Please keep us Linux users in mind. I flat out refuse to pay
> Microsoft network license fees and like it really Open Source. My two
> cents, Ric

One note along the same lines, when posting a means to exercise a bit of
software, it would be good to say something like: in the default
configuration xxx in the upper right area of the panel do ......
Replacing xxx with the full name of the button as it appears.  If it is
a drag menu, it is accepted to note as follows:

                window top tool bar   tools=>advanced=>toggle halo

        This makes it clear where to look, how to access the control and with
full text helps remove ambiguity.  If several menu items start with the
same word, I also usually say something like read carefully for "....."
to emphasize that there is a possibility of improper selection.
Remember that this is for new people to utilize the system and they have
NO experience with the application, like me.

Thanks,
Les H

Re: New lessons. In 3D !!!!

Americo Damasceno
Les,
The use of a software at its beta (or pre-alpha) version is not an easy task.

Many things can not work well. Many features are not installed yet.

By example: if you click the camera at the 3D Panel, nothing will happens. In
the future, you will have a copy of the image saved at your hard disk, to read
it later.
The "X" closes the Panel.
The +/- changes the Panel from a text-viewer to a mirror.
The "hand", glues the Panel to the avatar. If you move the avatar, the Panel
will go with it.

All these resources will be documented at the version 1.0 of Cobalt. By now, be
pacient and try to do the exercises of the Manual and to have fun.

To have fun is very important...

And you can also to think: how can I make money being one of the first persons
in the world to know this revolucionary technology ?
Bezos (Amazon.com) did it in the beginning of the  public  Internet and now he
has some billions of dolares  :-)

Re: New lessons. In 3D !!!!

Ric Moore
On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 10:08 -0700, Les wrote:

> HI, Waufrepi,
> I Thought I had, but I had not unzipped blender2.  By the way, it
> replaced 4 files (blender 1 files I expect), as shown here:
> replace 5PGJQQHEL94SJ1DDWFDY89PQFL75K8C? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one,
> [r]ename: y
> replace 687E7GO4OB5D89JL33TTDH7ATXX1L8D? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one,
> [r]ename: y
> replace A1BP8S8JKK3ZRT14Z18GY95KFBGL8DS? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one,
> [r]ename: y
> replace AA1OUX81VQ9P9E1QGECZI1WDPUGF930? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one,
> [r]ename: y

Blender is yummable for Fedora, version 2.45.
Just 'yum install blender'.
Wouldn't that work?? Maybe a link needs to be made for Cobalt to run
with it? Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

Re: New lessons. In 3D !!!!

Les Howell
I understand, and that is why I am attempting to be "gentle" with what I
touch or talk about.

Today I attempted again to get the island that was created using blender
to load.  What I do not understand is:

        7 Open cobalt using CrusoeWeb image.

        I have looked at the demos, at the tools, and I do not see any mention
of the CrusoeWeb image anywhere.  How do I access this CrusoeWeb image?

Regards,
Les H
On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 15:07 -0400, Americo Damasceno wrote:

> Les,
> The use of a software at its beta (or pre-alpha) version is not an easy task.
>
> Many things can not work well. Many features are not installed yet.
>
> By example: if you click the camera at the 3D Panel, nothing will happens. In
> the future, you will have a copy of the image saved at your hard disk, to read
> it later.
> The "X" closes the Panel.
> The +/- changes the Panel from a text-viewer to a mirror.
> The "hand", glues the Panel to the avatar. If you move the avatar, the Panel
> will go with it.
>
> All these resources will be documented at the version 1.0 of Cobalt. By now, be
> pacient and try to do the exercises of the Manual and to have fun.
>
> To have fun is very important...
>
> And you can also to think: how can I make money being one of the first persons
> in the world to know this revolucionary technology ?
> Bezos (Amazon.com) did it in the beginning of the  public  Internet and now he
> has some billions of dolares  :-)

Content creation tutorial?

Alan Grimes-2
I was futzing around in Croquet today with the idea of figuring out how
to make a 3D chessboard. I couldn't get anywhere with mouse gestures,
there doesn't seem to be a pre-fab environment with just the tweak UI
and the croquet environment, usually it's the raw environment with
nothing. =(

The morph-menu didn't have anything useful either.

And the croquetconsortium website doesn't seem to have any tutorials
related to content creation. =(

I subclassed frame and tried to add it to the world with:

"self future: [ self addFrame: ChessFrame new].

and that errored out nice and pretty. =\

I was using the sailing demo because that one has a user interface but
it is a comparatively large world and I have NO IDEA where the frame
would have ended up if the command had worked... =(

--
Ron Paul: A man of Peace.
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.
Powers are not rights.
We did not invade Iraq, the government did.

Content creation tutorial?

Americo Damasceno
Alan wrote:
"And the croquetconsortium website doesn't seem to have any tutorials related
to content creation. =(

Sometimes I think that I am doing too much noise about our Manual but it
appears that it's not too much :-)
12