New to SmallTalk and Squeak

Nathan Lane
Hi, I have been interested in programming and thus a hobbyist since I was nine years old in 1989. Since then I have programmed many programs using various languages including, but not limited to, C, C++, Pascal, Assembly, Java, Ruby, Python, Perl, C#, VBScript, Visual Basic, Batch, Powershell, BASH, AWK, SED, PHP, HTML, JavaScript, JScript, CSS, XHTML, and XML.  But I've never used SmallTalk or Squeak, and it's a bit confusing to me as to how to develop a program. I understand that the Squeak! environment is a development environment to some extent, right? So where do I start?

Thanks.

--
Nathan Lane
Home, http://www.nathandelane.com

Re: New to SmallTalk and Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On 28.03.2008, at 17:28, Nathan Lane wrote:
> There was one I forgot to mention, which claims to use a similar
> production paradigm to SmallTalk - that is Ruby.  I've been
> programming in Ruby for over a year now, which I know isn't the
> same, already, but it too is completely Object Oriented and Object
> Based.

The object semantics are indeed similar. However, in Squeak you're
interacting with live objects directly, rather than having them
recreated from dead code all the time. That's a huge difference once
you make the mind shift.

And, btw, it's "Smalltalk" with a lowercase t.

- Bert -

Re: New to SmallTalk and Squeak

Nathan Lane
Cool, thanks for the correction. I realized right away it was different.  Thanks for explaining.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 28.03.2008, at 17:28, Nathan Lane wrote:
> There was one I forgot to mention, which claims to use a similar
> production paradigm to SmallTalk - that is Ruby.  I've been
> programming in Ruby for over a year now, which I know isn't the
> same, already, but it too is completely Object Oriented and Object
> Based.

The object semantics are indeed similar. However, in Squeak you're
interacting with live objects directly, rather than having them
recreated from dead code all the time. That's a huge difference once
you make the mind shift.

And, btw, it's "Smalltalk" with a lowercase t.

- Bert -

Nathan Lane
Home, http://www.nathandelane.com
Mirror, http://nathandelane.awardspace.com

Re: New to SmallTalk and Squeak

David Zmick
Welcome, I am 14, and I just started with Smalltalk and Squeak, and I personally feel that it is easier to use and understand, once you get a basic understanding of how everything works.  I have only really written software in Java, and I have played around with C++ a bit, but Smalltalk is my favorite language at the moment, and probably will be for quite some time!

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Nathan Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool, thanks for the correction. I realized right away it was different.  Thanks for explaining.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 28.03.2008, at 17:28, Nathan Lane wrote:
> There was one I forgot to mention, which claims to use a similar
> production paradigm to SmallTalk - that is Ruby.  I've been
> programming in Ruby for over a year now, which I know isn't the
> same, already, but it too is completely Object Oriented and Object
> Based.

The object semantics are indeed similar. However, in Squeak you're
interacting with live objects directly, rather than having them
recreated from dead code all the time. That's a huge difference once
you make the mind shift.

And, btw, it's "Smalltalk" with a lowercase t.

- Bert -

David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Re: New to SmallTalk and Squeak

Nathan Lane
That's good to hear - so I am wondering would people here place Squeak in a category of Visual Programming Languages (visual like Visual Basic)?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:47 PM, David Zmick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome, I am 14, and I just started with Smalltalk and Squeak, and I personally feel that it is easier to use and understand, once you get a basic understanding of how everything works.  I have only really written software in Java, and I have played around with C++ a bit, but Smalltalk is my favorite language at the moment, and probably will be for quite some time!

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Nathan Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool, thanks for the correction. I realized right away it was different.  Thanks for explaining.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 28.03.2008, at 17:28, Nathan Lane wrote:
> There was one I forgot to mention, which claims to use a similar
> production paradigm to SmallTalk - that is Ruby.  I've been
> programming in Ruby for over a year now, which I know isn't the
> same, already, but it too is completely Object Oriented and Object
> Based.

The object semantics are indeed similar. However, in Squeak you're
interacting with live objects directly, rather than having them
recreated from dead code all the time. That's a huge difference once
you make the mind shift.

And, btw, it's "Smalltalk" with a lowercase t.

- Bert -

David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Nathan Lane
Home, http://www.nathandelane.com
Mirror, http://nathandelane.awardspace.com

Re: New to SmallTalk and Squeak

cedreek
Hi and welcome ;)

> That's good to hear - so I am wondering would people here place Squeak in a
> category of Visual Programming Languages (visual like Visual Basic)?

not me... to me it's live programming. I have the impressions objects
are alive in my image.

The most important important thing to me is to learn how to navigate
in the code... browse classes, senders, implementors, method
containing..., hierarchy browse, protocol browse...

and also, it's very important to get to use the debugger...  Instead
of evaluating (alt+d), just right click and 'debug it'. You should
find that in SBE.

Cédrick

Re: New to SmallTalk and Squeak

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
I don't think so.
I think that for visual programming you mean drag & drop controls (buttons, tables, input text, etc) to a canvas that will be show to the user as a classical desktop app.
Smalltalk is not that (although you can do application with buttons and all that) but much more. Isn't just only an IDE like Eclipse, VisualStudio or Netbeans. It's a whole world of living objects and you can modify them on the fly.
Well by following the tutorials you'll understand this.

Cheers,
Miguel Cobá

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Nathan Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's good to hear - so I am wondering would people here place Squeak in a category of Visual Programming Languages (visual like Visual Basic)?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:47 PM, David Zmick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome, I am 14, and I just started with Smalltalk and Squeak, and I personally feel that it is easier to use and understand, once you get a basic understanding of how everything works.  I have only really written software in Java, and I have played around with C++ a bit, but Smalltalk is my favorite language at the moment, and probably will be for quite some time!

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Nathan Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool, thanks for the correction. I realized right away it was different.  Thanks for explaining.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 28.03.2008, at 17:28, Nathan Lane wrote:
> There was one I forgot to mention, which claims to use a similar
> production paradigm to SmallTalk - that is Ruby.  I've been
> programming in Ruby for over a year now, which I know isn't the
> same, already, but it too is completely Object Oriented and Object
> Based.

The object semantics are indeed similar. However, in Squeak you're
interacting with live objects directly, rather than having them
recreated from dead code all the time. That's a huge difference once
you make the mind shift.

And, btw, it's "Smalltalk" with a lowercase t.

- Bert -

David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Nathan Lane
Home, http://www.nathandelane.com
Mirror, http://nathandelane.awardspace.com

Re: New to SmallTalk and Squeak

Giuseppe
Hi Nathan, and welcome to this marvelous world.

Once you learn Smalltalk, there aren't other language where you will
be develop better :D I don't want to speak about all the virtues of
Smalltalk, I know you will discover it step by step. Only, give it time.

Exists one excelent tutorial from Steve Wesses. This tutorial, aid you
to develop a little game using all aspects and features of Squeak.
 From creating a class, to sharing this code with Monticello and so on.

This tutorial is on: http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/index.html

Good luck, and fun ;)

And remember, Squeak community is not so big, but is very active :)