Newbee question: What am I doing wrong?

Paul McMahon
Hi There,

New to squeak.

Trying to evaluate this for use with a group of elementary aged students in
Hong Kong.

Problem is, every time I download a project it does not seem to run like it
is supposed to.
For example, just downloaded a skateboarder from
http://schools.tdsb.on.ca/donmillsmiddle/cyberarts_dmms/squeak
Clicked the timer on the script and it does not go anywhere.

Same thing happens with all of the etoys that I have downloaded on the
http://www.squeakland.org/ Kidsplay etoys page.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to do something to these to get them to
work properly?

Thanks

Paul

Re: Newbee question: What am I doing wrong?

Kim Rose
Hi, Paul -

I'd be happy to try to help you.  The etoys seem to be running fine
for me...so let's see.

Can you tell me
  -- have you downloaded Squeak itself from the Squeakland.org
download page?  Can you tell me what version you are using and what
platform (i.e., Win, Mac, Unix) and what browser?
You can find the Squeakland version number through the World menu,
then choosing "help" and then "about this system".  You should be
running Squeakland 3.8-05 and the "latest update" should read "531".

With a little more info we should be able to see what's going on.

Will you try to load the  "Face Ball" project  from this page:
http://www.squeakland.org/kids/sqfest_2004.htm (you may have to
scroll to see it).  If successful, it should open a new browser
window and start running.  You should then be able to click on the
blue "ticking" clock (the clock icon, not the word "ticking") and
stop the animation.

Sorry you've having problems...we'll sort them out,
cheers,
Kim