[News] Sony's metaverse sneak peek | intermetaverse?

[News] Sony's metaverse sneak peek | intermetaverse?

Florent THIERY-2
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/11/playstation-home-footage-is-beta-than-second-life/

"The graphics in this look pretty sweet, and make us believe that
something like Snow Crash might actually be possible one day. The
in-game PSP interface is pretty swanky as well, and we were able to
glean a few things off of the tiny text, which required much squinting
and gave us some Dead Rising flashbacks."

Here was the official trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRb-mCsHQ0c&mode=related&search=

The graphics part and user interface part are quite interesting (if
not astonishing), but the action focus is quite limited (hey, it's a
gaming community metaverse :p).

Apparently for now, the metaverse is not exactly coming: it's the
metaverses that are coming.  If every metaverse uses it's own
technology, how will one switch from one to another? Unless somebody:

* finds how to hook opengl directly and integrate 3D from another
program (ex: paraverse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraverse as
metaverse-agnostic browser...) so that between world swtiching is easy
and quick
* becomes an avatar provider, so that avatar & subscription is
centralized (and transmetaverse); such provider could provide avatar
digitalization (using photo/video-based modeling), subscription (user
data) & identity
* or creates a revolutionary standard that will take everything with
it (will it be second life?)

I guess that the mosaïc of web technologies today reflects human
nature at it's best: diversity, and i don't think that a single
technology will rule the metaverse space.

Any opinions?

I'd be curious to know what technologies other products use (there,
MTV Virtual Laguna Beach, ...); of course they are more showcase than
anything, but who knows if they'll stay alive long....

Florent

Re: [News] Sony's metaverse sneak peek | intermetaverse?

Enkidu Mandelbrot
On 5/14/07, Florent THIERY <[hidden email]> wrote:

Apparently for now, the metaverse is not exactly coming: it's the
metaverses that are coming.  If every metaverse uses it's own
technology, how will one switch from one to another? Unless somebody:

* becomes an avatar provider, so that avatar & subscription is
centralized (and transmetaverse); such provider could provide avatar
digitalization (using photo/video-based modeling), subscription (user
data) & identity
* or creates a revolutionary standard that will take everything with
it (will it be second life?)

I believe that this is what Multiverse ( http://www.multiverse.net/ ) is attempting to achieve.  From what i understand they are trying to create a way for people to travel from across different virtual universes created by different people without the need for separate software for each different virtual universe. One common platform or engine, like a mozilla browser, but for virtual reality instead of webpages.

Ronny.

Re: [News] Sony's metaverse sneak peek | intermetaverse?

Florent THIERY-2
> One common platform or engine, like a mozilla browser, but
> for virtual reality instead of webpages.

Yes. But this is an attempt to give a almost-free-tu-use common
platform, not trying to glue or interoperate the existing worlds
(which rely on different technos). For a world to work within
multiverse, it has to be rewritten from scracth, thus limiting the
features to the ones allowed by the platform...