News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

News Team Report for June 2007.

Our Highest read article for June:
http://news.squeak.org/2007/06/10/ubuntu-founder-mark-shuttleworth-talks-abo
ut-croquet/ had over 1000 readers

Our article:
http://news.squeak.org/2007/05/17/minding-your-business-with-smalltalk-part-
3-of-4/ has reached a total of 2700 readers and is still in our top ten
articles.

Something that is notable is that we had hits on over 100 articles last
month.  About 20 were only hit once, but about 40 were hit at least 20 times
and 20 were hit more then 50 times.

We are getting about 250 hits a day.  Our best day in June was 531 readers.

We were listed in the list of top blog posts on wordpress a few times.

We really could use some new members.  If you have an interest in writing
articles for weeklysqueak please contact me.

Thanks,

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak News Team Leader

Re: News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Derek O'Connell-2
Hi Ron, indirect item for you: Scratch got a mention on the BBC's
"Click" programme this week, no mention of it being based on Squeak/ST
though :-(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6250544.stm

Re: News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Derek O'Connell-2
Oh, I now see gcorriga beat me to it :-)

On 7/3/07, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ron, indirect item for you: Scratch got a mention on the BBC's
> "Click" programme this week, no mention of it being based on Squeak/ST
> though :-(
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6250544.stm

Re: News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Derek O'Connell-2
OTOH, mine is more recent. Whatever, lol.

Re: News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno mar, 03/07/2007 alle 14.20 +0100, Derek O'Connell ha scritto:
> OTOH, mine is more recent. Whatever, lol.

Derek: then report it in a comment to that post ;)

        Giovanni

Re: News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Derek O'Connell-2
done

Re: News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Blake-5
> We were listed in the list of top blog posts on wordpress a few times.
> We really could use some new members.  If you have an interest in writing
> articles for weeklysqueak please contact me.

Mailing back to the list in general to ask: What sort of articles? Do you
have some broad, general guidelines for material you'd like to see? The
two you mentioned in your e-mail seem to be an interview and a...well,
sort of another interview(s).

Il giorno mar, 03/07/2007 alle 15.03 -0700, Blake ha scritto:
> > We were listed in the list of top blog posts on wordpress a few times.
> > We really could use some new members.  If you have an interest in writing
> > articles for weeklysqueak please contact me.
>
> Mailing back to the list in general to ask: What sort of articles? Do you
> have some broad, general guidelines for material you'd like to see? The
> two you mentioned in your e-mail seem to be an interview and a...well,
> sort of another interview(s).

Blake, what kind of articles are you interested in?

        Giovanni

Re: News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Blake-5
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:38:44 -0700, Giovanni Corriga
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Blake, what kind of articles are you interested in?

        Am I the target audience? I actually don't have a good answer for that
question, believe it or not. I'm sort of focussed on little picture stuff
in Squeak at the moment. (Not that there's anything wrong with "little
picture" articles, mind you.) So, I dunno. Certainly I can pitch ideas but
that's the easy part.<s>

        ===Blake===

RE: News Team Monthly Report for June 2007

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Blake,

Well what happened is this.  I used to try to summarize what was on
squeak-dev with little articles that really didn't say very much and mostly
pointed you to interesting threads.  I received some comments that the
longer articles were more interesting.  So I started posting some pointers
and opinions, some tutorials, interviews, and updates from around the
Smalltalk world.  The problem was the larger articles took much longer to
produce.  I still have a number of articles that I'm working on, including
two people still waiting to be interviewed (thank you for being patient).

So although I agree that the longer substantive articles are better I think
last months virtually no articles was really sad.  I was really getting into
this Squeak being noticed thing.  I think the PR is really good for the
community.  It's clear that Giovanni and I can't do it all.

So once again I would love to hear from everyone, what would you like to see
on WeeklySqueak and ask people to PLEASE volunteer for the news team!!

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak News Team Leader (pro tem)