No webserver started when starting spoon

No webserver started when starting spoon

NorbertHartl
Hi,

finally I tried the latest spoon release. I took the
start instructions from the README.html. Starting
the memory.image I get an empty window but there
is no socket opened on 8090. so I couldn't connect
with the browser.

My system is ubuntu linux 7.04 (feisty).

Norbert

Re: No webserver started when starting spoon

NorbertHartl
On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 23:40 +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> finally I tried the latest spoon release. I took the
> start instructions from the README.html. Starting
> the memory.image I get an empty window but there
> is no socket opened on 8090. so I couldn't connect
> with the browser.
>
> My system is ubuntu linux 7.04 (feisty).

Ok, I checked with strace and so that its looking for
the Flow library.

README.html:

components/processor components/memory.image &

To start this way I need to do

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=components
./components/processor components/memory.image &

This way I get an open socket on 8090 which I can connect
to. I can see "Welcome to spoon!" page but nothing else.
The links on the page are pointing to port 8080 instead
of 8090. Loading any of the links keeps the spinner in the
browser going forever without response.

Then I started the naiad. I did

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=components/naiad/
./components/naiad/naiad Squeak3.9-final-7067.image

ioFindExternalFunctionIn(initializeUUID, 0x815cae0):
  components/naiad//Flow.so: undefined symbol: initializeUUID

a glue what to do as the whole wormhole thing is strange to me :)

Making doit on the first two commands gives me an unresponsive
image.

Any hints,

Norbert

re: No webserver started when starting spoon

ccrraaiigg

Hi Norbert--

> Ok, I checked with strace and so that its looking for
> the Flow library.
>
> README.html:
>
> components/processor components/memory.image &
>
> To start this way I need to do
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=components
> ./components/processor components/memory.image &

     Thanks! I'll make a script for starting Spoon on Linux and instruct
people to run that instead.

> This way I get an open socket on 8090 which I can connect
> to. I can see "Welcome to spoon!" page but nothing else.
> The links on the page are pointing to port 8080 instead
> of 8090. Loading any of the links keeps the spinner in the
> browser going forever without response.

     Right; I apologize for not making it clear in the README, but this
is indeed as far as one can get with release 2a12. It's essentially a
"hello world" demo at the moment.

> Then I started the naiad. I did
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=components/naiad/
> ./components/naiad/naiad Squeak3.9-final-7067.image

> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(initializeUUID, 0x815cae0):
>   components/naiad//Flow.so: undefined symbol: initializeUUID

     That's a benign primitive failure. If there's no primitive support
for UUID byte generation (and there isn't yet), then some fallback
Smalltalk code runs instead. That code isn't as fast and implements a
lower-quality class of UUID than the primitive will enable (see the
Leach/Salz UUID RFC for more details).

> a clue what to do as the whole wormhole thing is strange to me :)

     Don't worry, you won't hurt anything. :)

> Making doit on the first two commands gives me an unresponsive
> image.

     I'll try to duplicate this.

     I'm sitting here at a table with Spoon set up on all three of the
current host platforms. I'll try to debug every bug people mention here.
I apologize that I haven't set up (access to) a proper bug-tracking
system yet.

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

re: No webserver started when starting spoon

NorbertHartl
Hi,

> > This way I get an open socket on 8090 which I can connect
> > to. I can see "Welcome to spoon!" page but nothing else.
> > The links on the page are pointing to port 8080 instead
> > of 8090. Loading any of the links keeps the spinner in the
> > browser going forever without response.
>
>      Right; I apologize for not making it clear in the README, but this
> is indeed as far as one can get with release 2a12. It's essentially a
> "hello world" demo at the moment.

Ok, good to know. It may be a good idea to write this on the page as
well.

> > Then I started the naiad. I did
> >
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=components/naiad/
> > ./components/naiad/naiad Squeak3.9-final-7067.image

> > ioFindExternalFunctionIn(initializeUUID, 0x815cae0):
> >   components/naiad//Flow.so: undefined symbol: initializeUUID
>
>      That's a benign primitive failure. If there's no primitive support
> for UUID byte generation (and there isn't yet), then some fallback
> Smalltalk code runs instead. That code isn't as fast and implements a
> lower-quality class of UUID than the primitive will enable (see the
> Leach/Salz UUID RFC for more details).

Ok, but no real problem at all.

> > a clue what to do as the whole wormhole thing is strange to me :)
>
>      Don't worry, you won't hurt anything. :)

Heh, if the world is being soaked into such a thing I don't want to
be blamed for :)

> > Making doit on the first two commands gives me an unresponsive
> > image.
>
>      I'll try to duplicate this.
>
>      I'm sitting here at a table with Spoon set up on all three of the
> current host platforms. I'll try to debug every bug people mention here.
> I apologize that I haven't set up (access to) a proper bug-tracking
> system yet.

In my opinion the best thing you can do is to describe what people can
expect by running a spoon image. I saw videos where you showed a
graphical browser for the memory of a remote image. That is pretty much
of a functionality. I'd like to reproduce this as well. Aside from this
I have absolutely no clue what is the status of spoon. Did I miss some
important document? (I read the spoon book already and the netjam web
site).

Btw. how do work with the spoon image? Do you bootstrap anything or
are you running spoon in the simulator?

thanks for the effort,

Norbert

re: approaching Spoon (was "No webserver started when starting spoon")

ccrraaiigg

Hi Norbert--

> I saw videos where you showed a graphical browser for the memory of a
> remote image. That is pretty much of a functionality. I'd like to
> reproduce this as well. Aside from this I have absolutely no clue what
> is the status of spoon. Did I miss some important document? (I read
> the spoon book already and the netjam web site).

     I suspect so. The most important things to read are the Spoon
progress reports in the Spoon mailing list archives.

> Btw. how do work with the spoon image? Do you bootstrap anything or
> are you running spoon in the simulator?

     Here's what I do:

-    I start the minimal Spoon memory.
-    I start a control memory (one with Naiad support in it).
-    I establish a Wormhole connection from the control memory to the
     minimal memory.
-    I open a remote browser.
-    I write code.

     (I suppose "NaiadPeer" or something like that would be a better
name than "Wormhole" and the like.)

     thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org

Re: approaching Spoon (was "No webserver started when starting spoon")

Tapple Gao
On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 06:10:22PM -0700, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Norbert--
>
> > I saw videos where you showed a graphical browser for the memory of a
> > remote image. That is pretty much of a functionality. I'd like to
> > reproduce this as well. Aside from this I have absolutely no clue what
> > is the status of spoon. Did I miss some important document? (I read
> > the spoon book already and the netjam web site).
>
>      I suspect so. The most important things to read are the Spoon
> progress reports in the Spoon mailing list archives.
>
> > Btw. how do work with the spoon image? Do you bootstrap anything or
> > are you running spoon in the simulator?
>
>      Here's what I do:
>
> -    I start the minimal Spoon memory.

The memory.image distributed with spoon 2a12?

> -    I start a control memory (one with Naiad support in it).

How do you make that? Which image version do you start with?
Which VMMaker version do we need to make a vm with the proper
support in it? How can we run an interpreter simulator using
this VM? Do I need to go buy a mac? Which os?

I know you have done more work in spoon than just a "Hello
World" demo.

Since there is nothing inside the memory.image distributed with
2a12, I need to run the interpreter simulator to see what it is
doing and why it is halting. Here is what I tried on windows xp:

- I downloaded http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/sq3.9-7067dev07.6.2.zip and ran it using naiad.exe distributed with spoon 2a12
- I installed VMMaker-3.8b6.1 from universe
- I downloaded http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.4-src.zip and unzipped it
- I filed in spoonProcessorChanges.st
- I opened VMMakerTool, pointed it at SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.4\platforms
- I set the platform to win32
- I generated the source for the core and all plugins internally
  except for:
  - FileCopyPlugin
  - InternetConfigPlugin
  - LargeIntegersPlugin
  - LargeIntegersSimulator
  - MacMenubarPlugin
  - TestOSAPlugin
- I tried running
  (InterpreterSimulatorLSB new openOn: '..\memory.image') test
- It failed with MessageNotUnderstood: Bitmap>>swapBytesFrom:to:

Should I be doing something differently? How do you do it?

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 08:54:37PM -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> - I tried running
>   (InterpreterSimulatorLSB new openOn: '..\memory.image') test
> - It failed with MessageNotUnderstood: Bitmap>>swapBytesFrom:to:

Well, I got this working. Which means I ran memory.image
simulated within another image, and I was able to connect to
http://localhost:8090/3 . Turns out it was just a few minor
incompatibilities between InterpreterSimulator and 3.9
refactorings such as SmalltalkImage current. Attached is the
change set that lets memory.image run as I set out to do.
I also reported this as http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6555

Now that that works, I just gotta figure out if I can trace the
running image at the Smalltalk level, or if I can only trace it
at the bytecode level.

InterpreterSimulator-3.9-fixes.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment

Re: approaching Spoon (was "No webserver started when starting spoon")

NorbertHartl
Hi Matthew,

today evening I decided to play once more with spoon.
On the net I found your description about building a
vm with naiad support.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/spoon/2007-July/000214.html

I can't say I understand the whole spoon process. There are a lot
of things floating around:

1. a modified image (spoon processor changes) to build a vm with naiad
  support
2. the naiad vm
3. minimal memory image
4. control image

Maybe you are able to clarify some questions:

- Is 1. needed after the vm is built?
- What is the control image?

I thought it is sufficient to be able to run the memory.image in an
interpreter simulator and to control the rest from the image of the
interpreter simulator. Is that correct?

However if I'm trying to run the memory image in the interpreter
simulator the image eats my cpu and does nothing. All I can see
is the "Relocating object pointers" Morph. My cpu goes on 100%
and that's it.

Did you make any progress since writing the post?

thanks in advance,

Norbert

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 20:54 -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 06:10:22PM -0700, Craig Latta wrote:
> >
> > Hi Norbert--
> >
> > > I saw videos where you showed a graphical browser for the memory of a
> > > remote image. That is pretty much of a functionality. I'd like to
> > > reproduce this as well. Aside from this I have absolutely no clue what
> > > is the status of spoon. Did I miss some important document? (I read
> > > the spoon book already and the netjam web site).
> >
> >      I suspect so. The most important things to read are the Spoon
> > progress reports in the Spoon mailing list archives.
> >
> > > Btw. how do work with the spoon image? Do you bootstrap anything or
> > > are you running spoon in the simulator?
> >
> >      Here's what I do:
> >
> > -    I start the minimal Spoon memory.
>
> The memory.image distributed with spoon 2a12?
>
> > -    I start a control memory (one with Naiad support in it).
>
> How do you make that? Which image version do you start with?
> Which VMMaker version do we need to make a vm with the proper
> support in it? How can we run an interpreter simulator using
> this VM? Do I need to go buy a mac? Which os?
>
> I know you have done more work in spoon than just a "Hello
> World" demo.
>
> Since there is nothing inside the memory.image distributed with
> 2a12, I need to run the interpreter simulator to see what it is
> doing and why it is halting. Here is what I tried on windows xp:
>
> - I downloaded http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/sq3.9-7067dev07.6.2.zip and ran it using naiad.exe distributed with spoon 2a12
> - I installed VMMaker-3.8b6.1 from universe
> - I downloaded http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.4-src.zip and unzipped it
> - I filed in spoonProcessorChanges.st
> - I opened VMMakerTool, pointed it at SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.4\platforms
> - I set the platform to win32
> - I generated the source for the core and all plugins internally
>   except for:
>   - FileCopyPlugin
>   - InternetConfigPlugin
>   - LargeIntegersPlugin
>   - LargeIntegersSimulator
>   - MacMenubarPlugin
>   - TestOSAPlugin
> - I tried running
>   (InterpreterSimulatorLSB new openOn: '..\memory.image') test
> - It failed with MessageNotUnderstood: Bitmap>>swapBytesFrom:to:
>
> Should I be doing something differently? How do you do it?
>
> > -    I establish a Wormhole connection from the control memory to the
> >      minimal memory.
> > -    I open a remote browser.
> > -    I write code.
> >
> >      (I suppose "NaiadPeer" or something like that would be a better
> > name than "Wormhole" and the like.)
> >

> >      thanks again,
> >
> > -C
> >
> > --
> > Craig Latta
> > www.netjam.org

Re: approaching Spoon

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 10:11:16AM +0100, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> today evening I decided to play once more with spoon.
> On the net I found your description about building a
> vm with naiad support.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/spoon/2007-July/000214.html
>
> I can't say I understand the whole spoon process. There are a lot
> of things floating around:
>
> 1. a modified image (spoon processor changes) to build a vm with naiad
>   support
> 2. the naiad vm
> 3. minimal memory image
> 4. control image
>
> Maybe you are able to clarify some questions:
>
> - Is 1. needed after the vm is built?

I really have no idea what the right way to build the VM is. I
gave up trying spoon out of frustration with not being able to
build a VM for some purpose. I don't remember the details

> - What is the control image?

I believe this is a vanilla 3.9 image with naiad.st and naiad.pr
loaded. It's purpose was to try remotely browsing the contents
of the minimal memory image via its wormhole server. It needs a
VM that can run a 3.9 image and has the Flow plugin loaded.
Building such a VM made me crazy, and I never got it working.

> I thought it is sufficient to be able to run the memory.image in an
> interpreter simulator and to control the rest from the image of the
> interpreter simulator. Is that correct?

>From the interpreter simulator, you can do some debugging on the
low-level execution of the memory.image, like what process or context is
active, but not do anything high-level, like see smalltalk code
or execute smalltalk statements. The interface between the
interpreter simulator and the image is just the bytecodes and
the raw object format, so you can try to debug, but it is really
low-level.

The interpreter simulator really had nothing to do with the
problem I expressed in that email.

> However if I'm trying to run the memory image in the interpreter
> simulator the image eats my cpu and does nothing. All I can see
> is the "Relocating object pointers" Morph. My cpu goes on 100%
> and that's it.

That is all that is supposed to happen. The memory image has no
UI in it, so it does no screen drawing or anything. You should
be able to connect to the web server the minimal image is
running (don't remember what port; it's in the README)

> Did you make any progress since writing the post?

No, I haven't messed with spoon in a while. I am developing
DeltaStreams and plan on using that to make something cool with
spoon, naiad, and kettle when I have more code to fling around.

> thanks in advance,

Sure. Have fun