Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
Some time in the next couple of hours there will be a brief outage
on squeaksource.com as we switch it over to a newer image. I expect
about a 60 second down time. I expect no issues, but in the event
of problems the server would be off line for about 5 minutes while
I swap it back.

Just a heads-up so folks know who to blame if it goes off line for
a few minutes.

Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 02:29:00PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Some time in the next couple of hours there will be a brief outage
> on squeaksource.com as we switch it over to a newer image. I expect
> about a 60 second down time. I expect no issues, but in the event
> of problems the server would be off line for about 5 minutes while
> I swap it back.
>
> Just a heads-up so folks know who to blame if it goes off line for
> a few minutes.

Sorry for the brief outage. I ran into the VM depends on pulse library
problem, so this update will have to wait for another day.

I think the issue is fixed in the latest VMs, I'll check that out
and try again as soon as I can.

Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

marcel.taeumel
Hi Dave!

Thanks for doing this. Good luck! :-)

You might want to try that one: 202004292351 because Tim and I did some checks on that already. Not sure whether the Pulse-Fix is in that one already.

Best,
Marcel

Am 04.06.2020 22:44:02 schrieb David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:

On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 02:29:00PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Some time in the next couple of hours there will be a brief outage
> on squeaksource.com as we switch it over to a newer image. I expect
> about a 60 second down time. I expect no issues, but in the event
> of problems the server would be off line for about 5 minutes while
> I swap it back.
>
> Just a heads-up so folks know who to blame if it goes off line for
> a few minutes.

Sorry for the brief outage. I ran into the VM depends on pulse library
problem, so this update will have to wait for another day.

I think the issue is fixed in the latest VMs, I'll check that out
and try again as soon as I can.

Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
Thanks, will check ??202004292351 and I'll use that if it has the fix.
Tobias merged his fix on April 23 so it probably will be good.

I'm not sure when I can next do this. The end-to-end conversion process
takes 6 hours and I may not have free time in the coming days. But some
time soon...

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 08:09:17AM +0200, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Hi Dave!
>
> Thanks for doing this. Good luck! :-)
>
> You might want to try that one:??202004292351 because Tim and I did some checks on that already. Not sure whether the Pulse-Fix is in that one already.
>
> Best,
> Marcel
> Am 04.06.2020 22:44:02 schrieb David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 02:29:00PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > Some time in the next couple of hours there will be a brief outage
> > on squeaksource.com as we switch it over to a newer image. I expect
> > about a 60 second down time. I expect no issues, but in the event
> > of problems the server would be off line for about 5 minutes while
> > I swap it back.
> >
> > Just a heads-up so folks know who to blame if it goes off line for
> > a few minutes.
> >

> Sorry for the brief outage. I ran into the VM depends on pulse library
> problem, so this update will have to wait for another day.
>
> I think the issue is fixed in the latest VMs, I'll check that out
> and try again as soon as I can.
>
> Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
I don't see a 202004292351 on bintray. Maybe this one is close enough?

   https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/202004301740

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 11:30:19AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Thanks, will check ??202004292351 and I'll use that if it has the fix.
> Tobias merged his fix on April 23 so it probably will be good.
>
> I'm not sure when I can next do this. The end-to-end conversion process
> takes 6 hours and I may not have free time in the coming days. But some
> time soon...
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 08:09:17AM +0200, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> > Hi Dave!
> >
> > Thanks for doing this. Good luck! :-)
> >
> > You might want to try that one:??202004292351 because Tim and I did some checks on that already. Not sure whether the Pulse-Fix is in that one already.
> >
> > Best,
> > Marcel
> > Am 04.06.2020 22:44:02 schrieb David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:
> > On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 02:29:00PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > Some time in the next couple of hours there will be a brief outage
> > > on squeaksource.com as we switch it over to a newer image. I expect
> > > about a 60 second down time. I expect no issues, but in the event
> > > of problems the server would be off line for about 5 minutes while
> > > I swap it back.
> > >
> > > Just a heads-up so folks know who to blame if it goes off line for
> > > a few minutes.
> > >

> > Sorry for the brief outage. I ran into the VM depends on pulse library
> > problem, so this update will have to wait for another day.
> >
> > I think the issue is fixed in the latest VMs, I'll check that out
> > and try again as soon as I can.
> >
> > Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

marcel.taeumel
Huh. What's the pattern behind bintray removing builds? Well, then we should add another place for "VM under testing" to not lose the builds.

Maybe this one is close enough?

Let's hope so. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 05.06.2020 17:48:06 schrieb David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:

I don't see a 202004292351 on bintray. Maybe this one is close enough?

https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/202004301740

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 11:30:19AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Thanks, will check ??202004292351 and I'll use that if it has the fix.
> Tobias merged his fix on April 23 so it probably will be good.
>
> I'm not sure when I can next do this. The end-to-end conversion process
> takes 6 hours and I may not have free time in the coming days. But some
> time soon...
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 08:09:17AM +0200, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> > Hi Dave!
> >
> > Thanks for doing this. Good luck! :-)
> >
> > You might want to try that one:??202004292351 because Tim and I did some checks on that already. Not sure whether the Pulse-Fix is in that one already.
> >
> > Best,
> > Marcel
> > Am 04.06.2020 22:44:02 schrieb David T. Lewis :
> > On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 02:29:00PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > Some time in the next couple of hours there will be a brief outage
> > > on squeaksource.com as we switch it over to a newer image. I expect
> > > about a 60 second down time. I expect no issues, but in the event
> > > of problems the server would be off line for about 5 minutes while
> > > I swap it back.
> > >
> > > Just a heads-up so folks know who to blame if it goes off line for
> > > a few minutes.
> > >

> > Sorry for the brief outage. I ran into the VM depends on pulse library
> > problem, so this update will have to wait for another day.
> >
> > I think the issue is fixed in the latest VMs, I'll check that out
> > and try again as soon as I can.
> >
> > Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

fniephaus

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 5:53 pm, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Huh. What's the pattern behind bintray removing builds? Well, then we should add another place for "VM under testing" to not lose the builds.

This is not supported and we're already using more free resources than we should. Bintray builds are temporary, we only keep the last N builds. However, you can always build and recreate the binaries for a specific commit and we can create a release.

Fabio

> Maybe this one is close enough?

Let's hope so. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 05.06.2020 17:48:06 schrieb David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:

I don't see a 202004292351 on bintray. Maybe this one is close enough?

https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/202004301740

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 11:30:19AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Thanks, will check ??202004292351 and I'll use that if it has the fix.
> Tobias merged his fix on April 23 so it probably will be good.
>
> I'm not sure when I can next do this. The end-to-end conversion process
> takes 6 hours and I may not have free time in the coming days. But some
> time soon...
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 08:09:17AM +0200, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> > Hi Dave!
> >
> > Thanks for doing this. Good luck! :-)
> >
> > You might want to try that one:??202004292351 because Tim and I did some checks on that already. Not sure whether the Pulse-Fix is in that one already.
> >
> > Best,
> > Marcel
> > Am 04.06.2020 22:44:02 schrieb David T. Lewis :
> > On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 02:29:00PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > Some time in the next couple of hours there will be a brief outage
> > > on squeaksource.com as we switch it over to a newer image. I expect
> > > about a 60 second down time. I expect no issues, but in the event
> > > of problems the server would be off line for about 5 minutes while
> > > I swap it back.
> > >
> > > Just a heads-up so folks know who to blame if it goes off line for
> > > a few minutes.
> > >

> > Sorry for the brief outage. I ran into the VM depends on pulse library
> > problem, so this update will have to wait for another day.
> >
> > I think the issue is fixed in the latest VMs, I'll check that out
> > and try again as soon as I can.
> >
> > Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
No worries, the one I got from bintray will be fine.

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 06:23:25PM +0200, Fabio Niephaus wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 5:53 pm, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Huh. What's the pattern behind bintray removing builds? Well, then we
> > should add another place for "VM under testing" to not lose the builds.
> >

> This is not supported and we're already using more free resources than we
> should. Bintray builds are temporary, we only keep the last N builds.
> However, you can always build and recreate the binaries for a specific
> commit and we can create a release.
>
> Fabio
>

> > > Maybe this one is close enough?
> >
> > Let's hope so. :-)
> >
> > Best,
> > Marcel
> >
> > Am 05.06.2020 17:48:06 schrieb David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:
> > I don't see a 202004292351 on bintray. Maybe this one is close enough?
> >
> > https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/202004301740
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 11:30:19AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > Thanks, will check ??202004292351 and I'll use that if it has the fix.
> > > Tobias merged his fix on April 23 so it probably will be good.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure when I can next do this. The end-to-end conversion process
> > > takes 6 hours and I may not have free time in the coming days. But some
> > > time soon...
> > >
> > > Dave

> > some checks on that already. Not sure whether the Pulse-Fix is in that one
> > already.

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
I am finishing up another repository conversion right now, and if all
goes well I'll try starting it up with the newer VM. This will be some
time in the next hour or so.

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 01:02:29PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> No worries, the one I got from bintray will be fine.
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 06:23:25PM +0200, Fabio Niephaus wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 5:53 pm, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Huh. What's the pattern behind bintray removing builds? Well, then we
> > > should add another place for "VM under testing" to not lose the builds.
> > >

> > This is not supported and we're already using more free resources than we
> > should. Bintray builds are temporary, we only keep the last N builds.
> > However, you can always build and recreate the binaries for a specific
> > commit and we can create a release.
> >
> > Fabio

> > > Let's hope so. :-)
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Marcel
> > >
> > > Am 05.06.2020 17:48:06 schrieb David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:
> > > I don't see a 202004292351 on bintray. Maybe this one is close enough?
> > >
> > > https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/202004301740
> > >
> > > Dave

> > > some checks on that already. Not sure whether the Pulse-Fix is in that one
> > > already.

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
Well, I have caused some kind of problem. Working on it now.

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 02:39:22PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I am finishing up another repository conversion right now, and if all
> goes well I'll try starting it up with the newer VM. This will be some
> time in the next hour or so.
>
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 01:02:29PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > No worries, the one I got from bintray will be fine.
> >
> > Dave

> > > This is not supported and we're already using more free resources than we
> > > should. Bintray builds are temporary, we only keep the last N builds.
> > > However, you can always build and recreate the binaries for a specific
> > > commit and we can create a release.
> > >
> > > Fabio

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
Sorry for the disruption, I will have to try this again another day.

For the time being we are running on the interpreter VM again, so
the server will be slower for a while.

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 02:57:42PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Well, I have caused some kind of problem. Working on it now.
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 02:39:22PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > I am finishing up another repository conversion right now, and if all
> > goes well I'll try starting it up with the newer VM. This will be some
> > time in the next hour or so.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 01:02:29PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > No worries, the one I got from bintray will be fine.
> > >
> > > Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
The squeaksource.com service is back running on a fast Cog VM. With
apologies in advance, I am going to do another restart to see if I
can figure out why the new Spur image is not coming up as expected.
This will cause another few minutes of downtime as I manually start
the service run script and capture any errors to a log.

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 03:09:59PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Sorry for the disruption, I will have to try this again another day.
>
> For the time being we are running on the interpreter VM again, so
> the server will be slower for a while.
>
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 02:57:42PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > Well, I have caused some kind of problem. Working on it now.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 02:39:22PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > I am finishing up another repository conversion right now, and if all
> > > goes well I'll try starting it up with the newer VM. This will be some
> > > time in the next hour or so.
> > >
> > > Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
No luck, the service is back up on an interpreter VM and I will have to
save this project for another day.

The errors are related to the rtprio settings, but the security file
/etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf seems right, so I'll have to figure
this out another time. The possible initial problem was that squeak.conf
had spaces where tabs are probably required, but fixing that did not
resolve the problem.

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 04:18:47PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> The squeaksource.com service is back running on a fast Cog VM. With
> apologies in advance, I am going to do another restart to see if I
> can figure out why the new Spur image is not coming up as expected.
> This will cause another few minutes of downtime as I manually start
> the service run script and capture any errors to a log.
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 03:09:59PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > Sorry for the disruption, I will have to try this again another day.
> >
> > For the time being we are running on the interpreter VM again, so
> > the server will be slower for a while.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 02:57:42PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > Well, I have caused some kind of problem. Working on it now.
> > >
> > > Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

David T. Lewis
Third time's the charm. We are running squeaksource.com on 64-bit Spur
and an updated image now.

Dave

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 04:51:12PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> No luck, the service is back up on an interpreter VM and I will have to
> save this project for another day.
>
> The errors are related to the rtprio settings, but the security file
> /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf seems right, so I'll have to figure
> this out another time. The possible initial problem was that squeak.conf
> had spaces where tabs are probably required, but fixing that did not
> resolve the problem.
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 04:18:47PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > The squeaksource.com service is back running on a fast Cog VM. With
> > apologies in advance, I am going to do another restart to see if I
> > can figure out why the new Spur image is not coming up as expected.
> > This will cause another few minutes of downtime as I manually start
> > the service run script and capture any errors to a log.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 03:09:59PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > Sorry for the disruption, I will have to try this again another day.
> > >
> > > For the time being we are running on the interpreter VM again, so
> > > the server will be slower for a while.
> > >
> > > Dave

Re: Notice - squeaksource.com update today

Karl Ramberg
Thanks :)

Cheers,
Karl