OCompletion in 4.1

Giuseppe
Hi,

I tried to load OCompletion in 4.2 without success.

I tried to load from Monticello, with OCLoader, but when I try to write in some Workspace, I get:
MessageNotUnderstood: SmalltalkImage>>hasBindingThatBeginsWith:

I tried to load from MetacelloRepository, but, I don't know what to do with the configuration loaded, because DNU latestVersion.

There are a safe way to load it?

Cheers.

Re: OCompletion in 4.1

Casey Ransberger-2
If you can post the steps you're using to install it, I'll give it a crack and see if I can figure it out. Recently Smalltalk/SmalltalkImage had some refactorings in Squeak, if that's the culprit, it might be easy to fix.

What was the reason we decided not to include OCompetion in the main Squeak image? I remember it used to be really slow, but they have it usable in Pharo now. And the cmd-Q completion we have now never seems to guess right.

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: OCompletion in 4.1

Giuseppe
Hi, Is easy to reproduce it.

1.- Open a clean 4.2-10382 for example.
2.- Open OCompletion Repo.
MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/OCompletion'
    user: ''
    password: ''

3.- Load, latest OCLoader (accept the popup of OCompletion).

4.- Open a Workspace, and write something.

El 19/09/2010, a las 22:50, Casey Ransberger escribió:

[...]

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to load OCompletion in 4.2 without success.
>
> I tried to load from Monticello, with OCLoader, but when I try to write in some Workspace, I get:
> MessageNotUnderstood: SmalltalkImage>>hasBindingThatBeginsWith:

We should probably add a compatibility method to SmalltalkImage, but newer
versions of OCompletion don't send this method.

> I tried to load from MetacelloRepository, but, I don't know what to do with the configuration loaded, because DNU latestVersion.
>
> There are a safe way to load it?

I have a working version, but since the license of OCompletion is unclear
to me, I won't publish it. Instead, I'll give you a script so you can
reproduce most of it:

Installer ss
  project: 'RoelTyper';
  install: 'RoelTyper';
  project: 'OCompletion';
  install: 'ECompletion-djr.squeaktrunk.103';
  install: 'Ocompletion'.

Levente

> Cheers.

Re: OCompletion in 4.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> If you can post the steps you're using to install it, I'll give it a crack
> and see if I can figure it out. Recently Smalltalk/SmalltalkImage had some
> refactorings in Squeak, if that's the culprit, it might be easy to fix.
>
> What was the reason we decided not to include OCompetion in the main Squeak
> image? I remember it used to be really slow, but they have it usable in
> Pharo now. And the cmd-Q completion we have now never seems to guess right.

Currently Squeak is not a target of OCompletion:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pharo-project@.../msg29885.html

Cmd-Q doesn't guess at all, it just walks through the symbols and gives
you the next in the table which has the prefix you typed. Because the
symbol table is a hash table, the order of the symbols is random in
practice. Also there were several bugs in the code which made Cmd-Q
skipping symbols.

Levente

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to load OCompletion in 4.2 without success.
>>
>> I tried to load from Monticello, with OCLoader, but when I try to write in
>> some Workspace, I get:
>> MessageNotUnderstood: SmalltalkImage>>hasBindingThatBeginsWith:
>>
>> I tried to load from MetacelloRepository, but, I don't know what to do with
>> the configuration loaded, because DNU latestVersion.
>>
>> There are a safe way to load it?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

> --
> Casey Ransberger

Re: OCompletion in 4.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> It ships with Pharo, which means it *should* be MIT, right?

The code in the published image is MIT (hopefully), but that doesn't mean
that the code in the Squeaksource repository is also MIT, though it
probably is.

Levente

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried to load OCompletion in 4.2 without success.
>>>
>>> I tried to load from Monticello, with OCLoader, but when I try to write in
>>> some Workspace, I get:
>>> MessageNotUnderstood: SmalltalkImage>>hasBindingThatBeginsWith:
>>>

>> We should probably add a compatibility method to SmalltalkImage, but newer
>> versions of OCompletion don't send this method.
>>

>>> I tried to load from MetacelloRepository, but, I don't know what to do
>>> with the configuration loaded, because DNU latestVersion.
>>>
>>> There are a safe way to load it?
>>>

>> I have a working version, but since the license of OCompletion is unclear
>> to me, I won't publish it. Instead, I'll give you a script so you can
>> reproduce most of it:
>>
>> Installer ss
>>        project: 'RoelTyper';
>>        install: 'RoelTyper';
>>        project: 'OCompletion';
>>        install: 'ECompletion-djr.squeaktrunk.103';
>>        install: 'Ocompletion'.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Cheers.
>>>

> --
> Casey Ransberger

Re: OCompletion in 4.1

Edgar De Cleene

On 9/19/10 6:41 PM, "Levente Uzonyi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to load OCompletion in 4.2 without success.
>>
>> I tried to load from Monticello, with OCLoader, but when I try to write in
>> some Workspace, I get:
>> MessageNotUnderstood: SmalltalkImage>>hasBindingThatBeginsWith:
>
> We should probably add a compatibility method to SmalltalkImage, but newer
> versions of OCompletion don't send this method.
>

>> I tried to load from MetacelloRepository, but, I don't know what to do with
>> the configuration loaded, because DNU latestVersion.
>>
>> There are a safe way to load it?
>
> I have a working version, but since the license of OCompletion is unclear
> to me, I won't publish it. Instead, I'll give you a script so you can
> reproduce most of it:
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'RoelTyper';
> install: 'RoelTyper';
> project: 'OCompletion';
> install: 'ECompletion-djr.squeaktrunk.103';
> install: 'Ocompletion'.
>

> Levente
>

>> Cheers.

Levente:
 The scripts works well in the growing FunSqueakCog
, thanks.

As I do not remember how use it , searching google gives me this paper

http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes/papers/ASE2008-completion.pdf

If any (Giusseppe ?) could make a help for we have into .image quick how to,
i include in the next .8. Version

Edgar