OCompletion in 4.3?

douglas mcpherson
I downloaded 4.3 and tried to follow the instructions in "How to extend the system" workspace for installing OCompletion:

(Installer ss project: 'OCompletion') install: 'Ocompletion'.
appears to work.

(Smalltalk at: #ECToolSet) register.
fails with 'Key not found: ECToolSet'

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Doug

Re: OCompletion in 4.3?

John McKeon
ECTools was moved to OcompletionSqueakCompatibilty. You have to install: it as well

On Saturday, March 3, 2012, Douglas McPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I downloaded 4.3 and tried to follow the instructions in "How to extend the system" workspace for installing OCompletion:
> (Installer ss project: 'OCompletion') install: 'Ocompletion'.
> appears to work.
> (Smalltalk at: #ECToolSet) register.
> fails with 'Key not found: ECToolSet'
> Any suggestions much appreciated.
> Doug

Re: OCompletion in 4.3?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012, John McKeon wrote:

> ECTools was moved to OcompletionSqueakCompatibilty. You have to install: it as well

Or just use the Metacello configuration.

Levente

> On Saturday, March 3, 2012, Douglas McPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I downloaded 4.3 and tried to follow the instructions in "How to extend the system" workspace for installing OCompletion:
> > (Installer ss project: 'OCompletion') install: 'Ocompletion'.
> > appears to work.
> > (Smalltalk at: #ECToolSet) register.
> > fails with 'Key not found: ECToolSet'
> > Any suggestions much appreciated.
> > Doug

Re: OCompletion in 4.3?

douglas mcpherson
Excuse my naivety, but how exactly do I use the Metacello configuration?

Thanks!
Doug

On Mar 3, 2012, at 17:30 , Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Mar 2012, John McKeon wrote:
>
>> ECTools was moved to OcompletionSqueakCompatibilty. You have to install: it as well
>
> Or just use the Metacello configuration.
>

> Levente
>
>> On Saturday, March 3, 2012, Douglas McPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I downloaded 4.3 and tried to follow the instructions in "How to extend the system" workspace for installing OCompletion:
>> > (Installer ss project: 'OCompletion') install: 'Ocompletion'.
>> > appears to work.
>> > (Smalltalk at: #ECToolSet) register.
>> > fails with 'Key not found: ECToolSet'
>> > Any suggestions much appreciated.
>> > Doug

Re: OCompletion in 4.3?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Douglas McPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excuse my naivety, but how exactly do I use the Metacello configuration?

Read the Pharo By Example chapter, it will help you: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28462/Metacello.pdf
Metacello is decoupled from Pharo.

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: OCompletion in 4.3?

Nicolas Cellier
Guys, trying to educate the mass is very nice, but couldn't we agree to just put the magical incantation in the squeaksource page of each project?
Personally, I just can't remember it...
Having to go and look in a book, be it electronic, is rather unfriendly.
And I hope there is a #stable version too... Because having to browse the ConfigurationOf... to guess which version would fit is also boring. It is diverting us from our root goal, loading this damned package.
This is one problem Metacello is supposed to resolve, no?

Nicolas

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: OCompletion in 4.3?

Nicolas Cellier
So, it would be

Installer ss
       project: 'MetacelloRepository';
       install: 'ConfigurationOfOCompletion'.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOCompletion) project version: #stable) load

or:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfOCompletion';
    load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOCompletion) project version: #stable) load

Installer or Gofer just load the latest ConfigurationOfOCompletion from the squeaksource MetacelloRepository.
Alternatively, you can perform this first sentence manually from a Monticello browser.

Then ConfigurationOfOCompletion is a description of the different versions of OCompletion for different dialects, as long as the project dependencies.
The second sentence will load Metacello, a tool being able to interpret above specification and transform it into true package load commands.

If ever the #stable version does not exist, you'll get a notification.
Then it is possible to try other versions, whose description lie in ConfigurationOfOCompletion.
There is also the possibility to load bleedingEdge, or latestVersion...

ConfigurationOfOCompletion project bleedingEge load.
ConfigurationOfOCompletion project latestVersion load.

Beware, specifying a String or Symbol version differs... 'stable' is not #stable.

Nicolas

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: OCompletion in 4.3?

douglas mcpherson
All, thanks very much.

It turns out as forewarned that the #stable version does not exist for Squeak 4.3, however

ConfigurationOfOCompletion project latestVersion load

seemed to work. However, Levente mentioned specifically OCompletionSqueakCompatability, but that package is not loaded by the above. Not sure if this is an issue or not.

Also, I noticed that neither OcompletionTests or Ocompletion-Tests are loaded. Which, if either, of these is relevant?

Thanks again.

Doug

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: OCompletion in 4.3?

Chris Muller-3
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Guys, trying to educate the mass is very nice, but couldn't we agree to just
> put the magical incantation in the squeaksource page of each project?
> Personally, I just can't remember it...
> Having to go and look in a book, be it electronic, is rather unfriendly.

Better yet, put the magical incantation as a script on SqueakMap so we
don't even have to go to the web browser.

It is precisely its purpose, but we keep forgetting so these countless
discussions...

> And I hope there is a #stable version too... Because having to browse the

If package maintainers would apply the documented SqueakMap
conventions for publishing,

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6182

then there would be a fixed-configuration Release for a particular
version of Squeak plus a 'head' release which is a trunk-like process
for on-going development.

> ConfigurationOf... to guess which version would fit is also boring. It is
> diverting us from our root goal, loading this damned package.
> This is one problem Metacello is supposed to resolve, no?

No, SqueakMap is supposed to be the system that documents how to load
things for Squeak.