OOPAL in Squeak

Steven H. Rogers

A couple of years ago there was some discussion of implementing OOPAL in
Squeak.  Has anyone done any work on this?

Regards,
Steve

--
Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., [hidden email]
Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog

Re: OOPAL in Squeak

stéphane ducasse-2
unfortunately not.
I would love to see that happening...

Stef

On 12 mars 06, at 03:43, Steven H. Rogers wrote:

> A couple of years ago there was some discussion of implementing
> OOPAL in Squeak.  Has anyone done any work on this?
>
> Regards,
> Steve
>
> --
> Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., [hidden email]
> Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog
> "He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."
> -- John McCarthy

Re: OOPAL in Squeak

Lord ZealoN
What is OOPAL?

2006/3/12, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
unfortunately not.
I would love to see that happening...

Stef

On 12 mars 06, at 03:43, Steven H. Rogers wrote:

> A couple of years ago there was some discussion of implementing
> OOPAL in Squeak.  Has anyone done any work on this?
>
> Regards,
> Steve
>
> --
> Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., [hidden email]
> Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog
> "He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."
> -- John McCarthy

Re: OOPAL in Squeak

Steven H. Rogers
OOPAL stands for Object Oriented Programming and Array programming Language
integration.  It is presently implemented in Objective-C as part of the
F-Script dialect of Smalltalk for the Mac.

Array programming is a useful abstraction, particularly for numeric work,
that is largely orthogonal to OOP.  Array programming methods allow
extremely concise problem statements and solutions.  In the 1960's Ken
Iverson created APL (http://sigapl.org) at IBM as a specification and rapid
prototyping language.  Classic APL uses symbols to represent primitive
operations and requires a special character set.  Modern APL variants J
(http://jsoftware.ocm) and K/Q (http://kx.com) use one or two ASCII
characters to represent primitives.  Some APLs have added OO features.
OOPAL adds array programming to Smalltalk.

Here's a paper describing OOPAL http://www.fscript.org/download/OOPAL.pdf .

Regards,
Steve
///////////////////

Lord ZealoN wrote:

> What is OOPAL?
>
> 2006/3/12, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     unfortunately not.
>     I would love to see that happening...
>
>     Stef
>
>     On 12 mars 06, at 03:43, Steven H. Rogers wrote:
>
>      >
>      > A couple of years ago there was some discussion of implementing
>      > OOPAL in Squeak.  Has anyone done any work on this?
>      >
>      > Regards,
>      > Steve
>      >
>      > --
>      > Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog <http://shrogers.com/weblog>
>      > "He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."
>      > -- John McCarthy
>      >
>      >

Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., [hidden email]
Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog
"He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."
-- John McCarthy

Re: OOPAL in Squeak

Brian Rice
Slate does this, but at the library level, without the usual higher-
order method hacks (but using some convenient macros). I've never
been a fan of F-Script's syntax change to make this work.

We do have generic "point-free style" adverb methods defined on
blocks which allow writing in a concatenative style. They were
inspired by K, although the wording is a bit different.

I don't really have time to go over this here, but most of the code
is in src/lib/method.slate in the Slate repository (see http://
slate.tunes.org/ ).

I suppose http://slate.tunes.org/repos/main/src/lib/method.slate will
give you the quickest way to look.

--
-Brian
http://tunes.org/~water/brice.vcf

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: OOPAL in Squeak

Steven H. Rogers
Thanks Brian.  How functional is Slate?

Regards,
Steve

Brian Rice wrote:

> [...]
>>>      > Steve
>>>      >
>>>      > --
>>>      > Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., [hidden email]
>>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>      > Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog <http://shrogers.com/weblog>
>>>      > "He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."
>>>      > -- John McCarthy
>>>      >
>>>      >
>>
>> --Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., [hidden email]
>> Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog
>> "He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."
>> -- John McCarthy
>>

> --
> -Brian
> http://tunes.org/~water/brice.vcf

Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., [hidden email]
Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog
"He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."

"functional" as in "referentially transparent" or "Squeak
replacement"? :)

It's no Squeak replacement yet, if that's what you mean. There are a
lot of libraries and good shell script style support. There's a GUI,
but Slate has the Strongtalk architecture without a working dynamic
Strongtalk-style compiler (there's one... but it's not hooked in), so
the libraries are relatively slow.

Now is not the time for the me-too hackers to join in; Slate's at the
stage where the go-getters need to come in and work creatively on it.
I don't need dead-weight, I need people who want to hack on system
stuff.