OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

Göran Krampe
Hi folks!

Since I am attending OOPSLA :) I want to make sure we get a GREAT BOF
this year!
So I just edited the Swiki page on OOPSLA:

        http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2390

...and created the page for this years OOPSLA:

        http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5864

So... when exactly do we hold it? I quote Dan:

"I think we have a tradition of doing it just after supper (ie 7:30-ish)
the night before the "social event", unless it conflicts with something
else we like."

AFAICT that would mean tuesday 7.30. The "special event" is on wednesday
evening.

And is there anyone willing to act as "conferencier" (or whatever it is
called to present the speakers and then harass them so that they quit in
time) for the BOF from the board? I could do it otherwise but will
gladly accept help in finding a room and a projector etc.

And finally of course - sign up on that page if you want to show us
something cool!

regards, Göran

re: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

ccrraaiigg

Hi Göran and everyone--

> ...is there anyone willing to act as "conferencier" (or whatever it is
> called to present the speakers and then harass them so that they quit
> in time) for the BOF from the board? I could do it otherwise but will
> gladly accept help in finding a room and a projector etc.

     I'd be happy to do that, and I'll have a projector as well.

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

Re: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

timrowledge
After looking at the ooopsla 06 website and noticing that Smalltalk
isn't even included in the  'oopsla by topic' on http://
www.oopsla.org/2006/program/schedule/conference_schedule.html I think
we need to do a bit more than a mere BOF.

Right away I can see the possibility of talks on:-
sophie
vmmaker
3.9 changes
seaside latest
licensing changes (assuming there is any actual releasable news by then)
spoon
MC
tweak
croquet
  - damn it, we could probably fill our own program track.

tim
Strange OpCodes: CSD: Charge Surreptitiously to DOE

RE: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

SmallSqueak

> After looking at the ooopsla 06 website and noticing that Smalltalk
> isn't even included in the  'oopsla by topic' on http://
> www.oopsla.org/2006/program/schedule/conference_schedule.html

        Small talk is now ooopsla-ly called Lightning Talk.

> I think we need to do a bit more than a mere BOF.

        Smallness is strictly enforced (5 minute limit, no chance
        that any one can turn Small talk into Kitchen Talk ;-)

        Cheers,

        SmallSqueak

re: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Göran and everyone--
> > ...is there anyone willing to act as "conferencier" (or whatever it is
> > called to present the speakers and then harass them so that they quit
> > in time) for the BOF from the board? I could do it otherwise but will
> > gladly accept help in finding a room and a projector etc.
>
>      I'd be happy to do that, and I'll have a projector as well.

Great! I can "co-help" :)

Hmmm, while looking at the OOPSLA site the Courtyard ara is only
mentioned in one place
(http://www.oopsla.org/2006/home/intro/become_an_exhibitor.html) and I
can't see "CampSmalltalk" mentioned anywhere. But I presume we will "set
up camp" in the exhibition area. :)

regards, Göran

re: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

ccrraaiigg

> ...I can't see "CampSmalltalk" mentioned anywhere. But I presume we
> will "set up camp" in the exhibition area. :)

     Once again I won't be able to afford to register for the conference
proper, so hopefully they'll bring back exhibition passes (unlikely, I
suppose), or we can meet in a nearby public space. Infiltrating is
usually possible, but it makes me feel so dirty. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

Re: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

timrowledge

On 5-Sep-06, at 5:59 PM, Craig Latta wrote:

>> ...I can't see "CampSmalltalk" mentioned anywhere. But I presume we
>> will "set up camp" in the exhibition area. :)
>
>      Once again I won't be able to afford to register for the
> conference
> proper, so hopefully they'll bring back exhibition passes (unlikely, I
> suppose), or we can meet in a nearby public space. Infiltrating is
> usually possible, but it makes me feel so dirty. :)

Have they even *had* an exhibits area in recent years? Ah, I remember
the old days when you needed a wagon train and spare burros to get
round the whole show in less than a month....

I won't be spending money to register either. If we really have
problems finding a space I suspect Portland has a *lot* of wireless
enabled cafes we can colonise. Hell, we could probably use Ned's RV,
right ned?

tim
Strange OpCodes: UDF: Use Disk for Frisbee

Re: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

Göran Krampe
Hi!

tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5-Sep-06, at 5:59 PM, Craig Latta wrote:
> >> ...I can't see "CampSmalltalk" mentioned anywhere. But I presume we
> >> will "set up camp" in the exhibition area. :)
> >
> >      Once again I won't be able to afford to register for the
> > conference
> > proper, so hopefully they'll bring back exhibition passes (unlikely, I
> > suppose), or we can meet in a nearby public space. Infiltrating is
> > usually possible, but it makes me feel so dirty. :)
>
> Have they even *had* an exhibits area in recent years? Ah, I remember

Yes they have - but it has been rather small for a number of years.
And it says on the homepage that they will have a "courtyard" with
exhibitors.

> the old days when you needed a wagon train and spare burros to get
> round the whole show in less than a month....
>
> I won't be spending money to register either. If we really have
> problems finding a space I suspect Portland has a *lot* of wireless
> enabled cafes we can colonise. Hell, we could probably use Ned's RV,
> right ned?

If this turns out to be a problem (I will email and ask someone) there
has typically been nice "outer" areas in the conference center that we
have used.

And since we Smalltalkers want to set up camp typically long before the
exhibition opens (has been that way earlier) it turns into a
"CampSmalltalk will be wherever someone pulls together two tables and
pops up a balloon".

I can bring a bunch o balloons for that purpose - will not add much
weight to my luggage. :)

regards, Göran

Re: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

Doug Way

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:38:00 +0200 , [hidden email] said:

> tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I won't be spending money to register either. If we really have
> > problems finding a space I suspect Portland has a *lot* of wireless
> > enabled cafes we can colonise. Hell, we could probably use Ned's RV,
> > right ned?
>
> If this turns out to be a problem (I will email and ask someone) there
> has typically been nice "outer" areas in the conference center that we
> have used.
>
> And since we Smalltalkers want to set up camp typically long before the
> exhibition opens (has been that way earlier) it turns into a
> "CampSmalltalk will be wherever someone pulls together two tables and
> pops up a balloon".

Sounds good!  I'll also be attending OOPSLA this year after a
couple-year absence.  And I should be spending most of my time at the
CampSmalltalk/Squeakers table with the rest of the misfits...  Looking
forward to the BOF as well.

- Doug

Re: OOPSLA 2006 BoF!

stephane ducasse-2