OSProcess lock image

HilaireFernandes
Hello,

On Pharo4, when I type the command:

        OSProcess waitForCommand: 'ls'

it locks the image, I can get back control with [Alt]-.

With the same image and VM, this command was previously working, even
called from a Seaside component.

Any idea?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: OSProcess lock image

Paul DeBruicker
I have no idea why it happens but sometimes OSProcess resumes working after doing a

OSProcessAccessor initialize.

in a workspace.....

Hope this helps

HilaireFernandes wrote
Hello,

On Pharo4, when I type the command:

        OSProcess waitForCommand: 'ls'

it locks the image, I can get back control with [Alt]-.

With the same image and VM, this command was previously working, even
called from a Seaside component.

Any idea?

Thanks

Hilaire

Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: OSProcess lock image

HilaireFernandes
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tips.
My image was running for days with the computer going to sleep
regularly. Restarting the image solved the problem.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: OSProcess lock image

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:03:15PM +0200, Hilaire wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for the tips.
> My image was running for days with the computer going to sleep
> regularly. Restarting the image solved the problem.

That is interesting and helpful, thanks. The process that receives notification
of child process exit (unix SIGCHLD signal) spends most of its time waiting
on a semaphore with timeout, see UnixOSProcessAccessor>>grimReaperProcess.
Maybe there is some kind of issue with the timeout if the image is paused
while the computer is put to sleep.

Dave

> Hilaire
>
> Le 15/10/2016 ? 20:00, Paul DeBruicker a ?crit :
> > I have no idea why it happens but sometimes OSProcess resumes working after
> > doing a
> >
> > OSProcessAccessor initialize.
> >
> > in a workspace.....
> >

> > Hope this helps
> >

> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: OSProcess lock image

Andreas Brodbeck-3
Am 15.10.16 um 20:00 schrieb Paul DeBruicker:
> I have no idea why it happens but sometimes OSProcess resumes working after
> doing a
>
> OSProcessAccessor initialize.
>
> in a workspace.....
>

> Hope this helps

It did help *me*, thanks for sharing this on the list.

I just had the same issue (like described from Hilaire below) in a new
Pharo 6.1 image. It locked the image and left a zombie process.

"OSProcessAccessor initialize" did the trick.

Cheers, Andreas

> HilaireFernandes wrote
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Pharo4, when I type the command:
>>
>> OSProcess waitForCommand: 'ls'
>>
>> it locks the image, I can get back control with [Alt]-.
>>
>> With the same image and VM, this command was previously working, even
>> called from a Seaside component.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hilaire