[OT] Bulle qui rulle

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

Here is yet another piece of music entirely composed with Musical
Objects for Squeak, aka µO:

http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Bulle%20qui%20rulle.ogg

I have uploaded an uninformative but rather cool screenshot of some of
the editors used for this project:

http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/brworld.png

The whole composition is computed from the lower graph. The editor
displayed at the top of the world shows the very end of the piece.

Re: [OT] Bulle qui rulle

Chris Muller-3
Interesting, thanks for sharing..  One question I have does any part
of the rhythm of this piece (or any part of muO) depend on Squeak
performing in a real-time fashion (in order for the rhythm timings to
be correct)?  Or is Squeak's involvement merely producing an ogg file
in batch mode (which is played in real time by ogg players)?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Stéphane Rollandin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is yet another piece of music entirely composed with Musical Objects
> for Squeak, aka µO:
>
> http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Bulle%20qui%20rulle.ogg
>
> I have uploaded an uninformative but rather cool screenshot of some of the
> editors used for this project:
>
> http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/brworld.png
>
> The whole composition is computed from the lower graph. The editor displayed
> at the top of the world shows the very end of the piece.
>

> Stef

Re: [OT] Bulle qui rulle

Stéphane Rollandin
> Interesting, thanks for sharing..  One question I have does any part
> of the rhythm of this piece (or any part of muO) depend on Squeak
> performing in a real-time fashion (in order for the rhythm timings to
> be correct)?  Or is Squeak's involvement merely producing an ogg file
> in batch mode (which is played in real time by ogg players)?

The whole piece has been performed by sending MIDI events in real-time
from Squeak to Cantabile (a VST host). A VST plug-in was used to record
the performance as a WAV file (the free version of Cantabile is not able
to do so).

In my experience, Squeak timing is excellent. This particular piece is 6
minutes long and features about 8000 notes. I never had a single
discernible delay during the whole composition process.

I use a priority setting of Processor timingPriority - 1 for MIDI output
threads.

Actually I realized that Squeak can handle real-time work quite well,
including animation, when I did my space invader game last year. Did you
try it ? It's there:

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/saucers.htm

Best,

Re: [OT] Bulle qui rulle

Stéphane Rollandin
> Cool

Thanks :)

Stef

cbc

Re: [OT] Bulle qui rulle

cbc

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yeah, the animation in that game was awesome.

I still want to get a look at how it was done - just haven't gotten that far yet.  Which bodes ill for me getting to it, I guess.
-cbc

Best,

Stef