[OT] - New Robotic Kit

Milan Zimmermann-2
Just found this on /.

http://www.businessweek.com/print/innovate/content/sep2006/id20060907_525435.htm

Given it seems affiliated with Mitchel Resnick, I wonder if it will be
eventually programmable in Squeak/Scratch...

Re: [OT] - New Robotic Kit

Bert Freudenberg
Milan Zimmermann schrieb:
> Just found this on /.
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/print/innovate/content/sep2006/id20060907_525435.htm
>
> Given it seems affiliated with Mitchel Resnick, I wonder if it will be
> eventually programmable in Squeak/Scratch...

Only if someone writes something I guess. The PicoBlocks software is in
Java, at least on OSX. Its UI looks a lot like Scratch, though.

IIRC there was someone doing Mindstorms programming in Squeak a few
years ago ...

- Bert -

Re: [OT] - New Robotic Kit

Milan Zimmermann-2
On 2006 September 7 20:03, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Milan Zimmermann schrieb:
> > Just found this on /.
> >
> > http://www.businessweek.com/print/innovate/content/sep2006/id20060907_525
> >435.htm
> >
> > Given it seems affiliated with Mitchel Resnick, I wonder if it will be
> > eventually programmable in Squeak/Scratch...
>
> Only if someone writes something I guess. The PicoBlocks software is in
> Java, at least on OSX. Its UI looks a lot like Scratch, though.

Bert, yes, that's right. I just downloaded and installed it on Win because I
did not quite believe :) - it lookes completely like the Squeak-based Scratch
screenshots that I saw. I wonder which was first (Java or Squeak based) and
why it was done twice, but anyway,

milan

> IIRC there was someone doing Mindstorms programming in Squeak a few
> years ago ...
>
> - Bert -

Re: [OT] - New Robotic Kit

Bert Freudenberg

Am 25.09.2006 um 23:47 schrieb Milan Zimmermann:

> On 2006 September 7 20:03, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Milan Zimmermann schrieb:
>>> Just found this on /.
>>>
>>> http://www.businessweek.com/print/innovate/content/sep2006/
>>> id20060907_525
>>> 435.htm
>>>
>>> Given it seems affiliated with Mitchel Resnick, I wonder if it
>>> will be
>>> eventually programmable in Squeak/Scratch...
>>
>> Only if someone writes something I guess. The PicoBlocks software
>> is in
>> Java, at least on OSX. Its UI looks a lot like Scratch, though.
>
> Bert, yes, that's right. I just downloaded and installed it on Win
> because I
> did not quite believe :) - it lookes completely like the Squeak-
> based Scratch
> screenshots that I saw. I wonder which was first (Java or Squeak
> based) and
> why it was done twice, but anyway,

Well, depending on where you come from, Java might be progress ;-)

Anyhow, I don't know if MIT people were involved in the actual
Mindstorms software development, or if they just provided ideas. You
might ask John Maloney (former Squeak Central member).

- Bert -