[OT] RedaForth

Francisco Garau
Hi,

Recently, a new open source Forth has been released the public domain. It is
been used to teach children from poor areas, the fundamentals of
programming. The system is tiny - the full distribution is a just 386kb zip
file

    http://www.geocities.com/redaforth/reda4pc.zip

I was mostly impressed by the vector graphics editor that it includes (image
attached). It is used by the kids to draw their cartoon characters, but also
to define the fonts used by the system.

Cheers,
Francisco
---
That which we call a rose by another name would smell as sweet
---

reda-vector-graphics.JPG (60K) Download Attachment

Re: [OT] RedaForth

Aaron Reichow
No offense- I like Forth. But man, I congratulate these kids for being
able to produce something in it.  I remember trying to study Forth when I
was a 12 year old kid, I used to call up the local Twin Cities FIG
president. I'm sure I drove the poor man nuts!

Anywho... I'm sure that this is a neat language and all, but it just seems
pretty complicated.  Take this function, for example:

:resetball
   sw 2/ 10 - 4 << 'ballx ! sh 2/ 10 - 4 << 'bally !
   $ff rand $1 and 0? ( drop -1 ) * 'balldx !
   rand $3ff and $1ff - 'balldy !
   pantalla msec 'lastime !
   0 ( drop update msec lastime - 1000 >? ) drop ;

I know I could make sense of it if I thought about it some, but it looks
about as easy to read as assembler to me. :P

Anyway, thanks for the link!

Regards,
Aaron

[hidden email] || rev in #squeak on irc.freenode.net
   "Liberty will not descend to a people, a people must
         raise themselves to Liberty." -- Emma Goldman

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Francisco Garau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently, a new open source Forth has been released the public domain. It is
> been used to teach children from poor areas, the fundamentals of
> programming. The system is tiny - the full distribution is a just 386kb zip
> file
>
>     http://www.geocities.com/redaforth/reda4pc.zip
>
> I was mostly impressed by the vector graphics editor that it includes (image
> attached). It is used by the kids to draw their cartoon characters, but also
> to define the fonts used by the system.
>
> Cheers,
> Francisco
> ---
> That which we call a rose by another name would smell as sweet
> ---

Re: [OT] RedaForth

Raymond Asselin

>Anywho... I'm sure that this is a neat language and all, but it
just

>seems
>pretty complicated.  Take this function, for example:
>
>:resetball
>   sw 2/ 10 - 4 << 'ballx ! sh 2/ 10 - 4 << 'bally !
>   $ff rand $1 and 0? ( drop -1 ) * 'balldx !
>   rand $3ff and $1ff - 'balldy !
>   pantalla msec 'lastime !
>   0 ( drop update msec lastime - 1000 >? ) drop ;
>
>I know I could make sense of it if I thought about it some, but
it looks
>about as easy to read as assembler to me. :P

Hi Aaron,
    as I remember, MacForth was a neet Forth implementation
    with locals and parameter for ‘words’ that make lot easiers
    to write more revealing code than what you show us.

    Ciao