[OT] some Squeak music

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello all,

I just finished a new piece of music entirely composed and performed
within a muO image - the audio is recorded from virtual instruments fed
a live MIDI output stream. This is done with a technology that does not
exists elsewhere.

I know it is not the place to post (weird) music, but in the broader
context of the discussion about the death of Smalltalk, I felt inclined
to illustrate how for some of us it is very much alive and singing.

Here it is:

http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Pentaxoyothol.ogg

Re: [OT] some Squeak music

timrowledge

> On 2021-03-16, at 10:40 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Pentaxoyothol.ogg

It's not my kind of music (I'm a Mike Oldfield/Filk/SteamPunk type) but it always impresses the hell out of me what you can make with your system.

tim
The gains I make don't make me a hero; all the work I do is just to get back to Zero

Re: [OT] some Squeak music

Stéphane Rollandin
>> http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Pentaxoyothol.ogg
>
> It's not my kind of music (I'm a Mike Oldfield/Filk/SteamPunk type) but it always impresses the hell out of me what you can make with your system.

Yes, I realize that my own music is probably not the best one to use for
promoting the system... But muO is not wired to my specific taste and
can handle pretty much anything. Its interface (or lack of) and the
current state of its documentation would certainly be a problem for
another composer, though. At the moment muO is very much a big bag of
specialized lego bricks, that I assemble differently for each piece I do.

Now if somebody was seriously interested, I would definitely be willing
to provide customized GUIs and a taylored workflow - it's only a matter
of building a screening facade exposing some of the existing raw
functionality. I did exactly that with Boadebui which is a clone of
Boscal Ceoil:

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/boadebui.htm
https://boscaceoil.net/

Re: [OT] some Squeak music

Christoph Thiede

Nice song, I did not know the genre, but I like it. :-)

Best,

Christoph

> It's not my kind of music (I'm a Mike Oldfield/Filk/SteamPunk type) but it always impresses the hell out of me what you can make with your system.

Yes, I realize that my own music is probably not the best one to use for
promoting the system... But muO is not wired to my specific taste and
can handle pretty much anything. Its interface (or lack of) and the
current state of its documentation would certainly be a problem for
another composer, though. At the moment muO is very much a big bag of
specialized lego bricks, that I assemble differently for each piece I do.

Now if somebody was seriously interested, I would definitely be willing
to provide customized GUIs and a taylored workflow - it's only a matter
of building a screening facade exposing some of the existing raw
functionality. I did exactly that with Boadebui which is a clone of
Boscal Ceoil:

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/boadebui.htm
https://boscaceoil.net/

Stef

Carpe Squeak!

Re: [OT] some Squeak music

Stéphane Rollandin
> Nice song, I did not know the genre, but I like it. :-)

I don't know the genre either :)

Re: [OT] some Squeak music

marcel.taeumel
Hi Stef.

This is great! :-) Thanks for sharing. It's kind of groovy. I like it.

Best,
Marcel

Am 17.03.2021 00:20:52 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

> Nice song, I did not know the genre, but I like it. :-)

I don't know the genre either :)

Re: [OT] some Squeak music

Herbert König
Hi Stef,

Impressive! As an outer world person I looked through the site but didn't find any Screenshots. I'd like to see the UI you're working in, be it a lot of workspaces. My UI usually is inspectors / explorers on Objects with messages I send to them. Sometimes just some buttons placed in the World. Making a GUI often is more than doubling the effort.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 16.03.2021 um 18:40 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin:
Hello all,

I just finished a new piece of music entirely composed and performed within a muO image - the audio is recorded from virtual instruments fed a live MIDI output stream. This is done with a technology that does not exists elsewhere.

I know it is not the place to post (weird) music, but in the broader context of the discussion about the death of Smalltalk, I felt inclined to illustrate how for some of us it is very much alive and singing.

Here it is:

http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Pentaxoyothol.ogg

Re: [OT] some Squeak music

Stéphane Rollandin
> Impressive! As an outer world person I looked through the site but
> didn't find any Screenshots. *I'd like to see the UI you're working in,
> be it a lot of workspaces.* My UI usually is inspectors / explorers on
> Objects with messages I send to them. Sometimes just some buttons placed
> in the World. Making a GUI often is more than doubling the effort.

Attached:

P1.png shows the graph of song parts, each in a box, and an explorer
opened on the first of these boxes from where the composition final
tweaks are performed via plain code.

P2.png shows the contents of one of the boxes. The upper window is a
score editor with several melodic line generators, the bottom left
window is a projection playground which is the killer technology I am
proud to have invented about twenty years ago now, and where raw melodic
structures are generated, to be further processed by the above mentioned
melodic line generators.

So there is not a single UI, but instead multiple editors referencing
each other. The navigation is heavily driven by rich menus that can be
interactively destructured to yield buttons and sets of controls such as
the "prototype setting" sliders in P2.png.

But mostly it is a mess.

Stef

P1.png (917K) Download Attachment
P2.png (801K) Download Attachment

Re: [OT] some Squeak music

Herbert König
Thank's Stef,

I like it. For sure I lack the knowledge to understand the 'killer technology' but I know nothing about composition :-)

Cheers,

Herbert