Off topic Smalltalk question

1 message Options

Off topic Smalltalk question

Michael Latta

I have a non-squeak Smalltalk question.  I hope the list does not mind, but is likely to have experience I need to query.

Both VW and Dolphin have COM interop features.  They both seem to provide basic automation interop, and support for structured storage.  VW looks to go a bit more deeply in supporting data transfer for the clipboard and such.  If I need to copy data from a Smalltalk application and paste it into an office application using linking and embedding is VW or Dolphin going to work better for me?  If all I am doing is clipboard copying which is better?  VW has a vaster VM and larger doc set, but the COM features appear to be 3 years old.  That may be OK since COM has not been changing much.  Is VW or Dolphin implementation more stable?  Does one provide better interactive debugging?  Does the in-process case supported by Dolphin make that much of a difference?

I have done COM programming in the past, but that was using MS Java in the VW 2.5 days when it did not have COM connect.

Michael