Ok, I'm lost...

Max-50
I'm familiar with some other programming languages and learning those
usually start with a command prompt which is much easier in my
opinion. I've been looking for some good tutorials but most of them
seem to be geared to little kids and are only about drawing stuff and
then tell them how to act with a scripting window. I'll stick with
Flash and ActionScript for stuff like that. It's cool that Squeak has
a web browser and email reader and stuff but what if *I* wanted to
make those? I'm completely lost about where to start.

Re: Ok, I'm lost...

tblanchard
I'll help you.  :-)

What do you want to do and what languages do you know? (I've been in
the same boat - there's a whole mindshift about how you manage your
code  you have to "get".  Its not hard - just different).

On Jan 21, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Max wrote:

> I'm familiar with some other programming languages and learning those
> usually start with a command prompt which is much easier in my
> opinion. I've been looking for some good tutorials but most of them
> seem to be geared to little kids and are only about drawing stuff and
> then tell them how to act with a scripting window. I'll stick with
> Flash and ActionScript for stuff like that. It's cool that Squeak has
> a web browser and email reader and stuff but what if *I* wanted to
> make those? I'm completely lost about where to start.

Re: Ok, I'm lost...

wilkesj
Squeak can be an alien environment to a newcomer.  I've put together a
basic tutorial to get a programmer started with Squeak.  You can find
it here:

http://wilkesjoiner.com/UsingSqueak.html

It won't help you write a web browser, but it will get started on
writing your own classes.

- Wilkes

On 1/21/06, Max <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm familiar with some other programming languages and learning those
> usually start with a command prompt which is much easier in my
> opinion. I've been looking for some good tutorials but most of them
> seem to be geared to little kids and are only about drawing stuff and
> then tell them how to act with a scripting window. I'll stick with
> Flash and ActionScript for stuff like that. It's cool that Squeak has
> a web browser and email reader and stuff but what if *I* wanted to
> make those? I'm completely lost about where to start.

Re: Ok, I'm lost...

stéphane ducasse-2
The videos there can help you to get started
        http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Videos/

then you should read some books at :
        http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Videos/
        For example the one of Markc Guzdial and Smalltalk by Example

Stef

On 21 janv. 06, at 23:17, Max wrote:

> I'm familiar with some other programming languages and learning those
> usually start with a command prompt which is much easier in my
> opinion. I've been looking for some good tutorials but most of them
> seem to be geared to little kids and are only about drawing stuff and
> then tell them how to act with a scripting window. I'll stick with
> Flash and ActionScript for stuff like that. It's cool that Squeak has
> a web browser and email reader and stuff but what if *I* wanted to
> make those? I'm completely lost about where to start.

Re: Ok, I'm lost...

Philippe Marschall
> then you should read some books at :
>         http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Videos/
>         For example the one of Markc Guzdial and Smalltalk by Example

You probably meant:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html