Omnibase (OSProcess undefined)

Ernst-2
Have loaded Omnibase from OmniBase-DG.6.mcz (tried also SqueakMap)
DoIt:   db := OmniBase createOn: 'MyDB'
and get a walkback because OSProcess is undefined (see below).
Is OSProcess a class or some kind of global variable?
How to fix it?

Thanks

ensureAccessMode: accessMode forFileStream: aFileStream
        "Check the special byte is appropriately set to allow the desired access mode.  Signal a locking conflict if there is a problem.
        See the class comment for more information on what's going on here."

        | needsWriteAccess |
        needsWriteAccess := (accessMode = self accessModeReadOnly) not.
        (OSProcess accessor
                isLockableFile: aFileStream
                from: self shareModeFlagLocation
                to: self shareModeFlagLocation
                exclusive: needsWriteAccess)
                        ifFalse: [ODBLockingConflict signal].

Re: Omnibase (OSProcess undefined)

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 07:17:45AM -0700, ernst wrote:

> Have loaded Omnibase from OmniBase-DG.6.mcz (tried also SqueakMap)
> DoIt:   db := OmniBase createOn: 'MyDB'
> and get a walkback because OSProcess is undefined (see below).
> Is OSProcess a class or some kind of global variable?
> How to fix it?

OSProcess is an optional package that you can download from
SqueakMap. It provides file locking methods that are used by
OmniBase. This should work if you are running Squeak on Linux,
Unix, or OS X (but OS X may require additional steps, so ask
a follow up question if you need this).

I have not used Omnibase myself, but I remember some reports of
people running into some problems with it. Sorry I can't be
more specific, but if you run into problems you may be able to
find some discussion about it on either the squeak-dev list or
the seaside list. Seaside developers seem to be most active
in using back end databases with Squeak, so that list is probably
a good place to look if you need help.

Dave

Re: Omnibase (OSProcess undefined)

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno sab, 05/08/2006 alle 10.53 -0400, David T. Lewis ha scritto:

> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 07:17:45AM -0700, ernst wrote:
> >
> > Have loaded Omnibase from OmniBase-DG.6.mcz (tried also SqueakMap)
> > DoIt:   db := OmniBase createOn: 'MyDB'
> > and get a walkback because OSProcess is undefined (see below).
> > Is OSProcess a class or some kind of global variable?
> > How to fix it?
>
> OSProcess is an optional package that you can download from
> SqueakMap. It provides file locking methods that are used by
> OmniBase. This should work if you are running Squeak on Linux,
> Unix, or OS X (but OS X may require additional steps, so ask
> a follow up question if you need this).
>
> I have not used Omnibase myself, but I remember some reports of
> people running into some problems with it. Sorry I can't be
> more specific, but if you run into problems you may be able to
> find some discussion about it on either the squeak-dev list or
> the seaside list. Seaside developers seem to be most active
> in using back end databases with Squeak, so that list is probably
> a good place to look if you need help.

A good alternative to Omnibase is Magma, which you can find on
SqueakMap.

        Giovanni

Re: Omnibase (OSProcess undefined)

Ernst-2
Seems I have a choice between at least 3 object servers.
Great!

RE: Omnibase (OSProcess undefined)

Ron Teitelbaum
4. Glorp - PostgreSQL.  PostgreSQL is an open source relational database.
Glorp is a Generic Lightweight Object-Relational Persistence framework.
It's all the benefits of an Object database but it has the benefits of a SQL
back end.

Ron Teitelbaum