On going work with Linux and Cobalt

Les Howell
I just opened my new Cobalt.sh script, and looked at some of the tools.
The Scamper browser will open web pages (like google), but appears to
not be able to open its own "about".

Simple Demo (master) works more or less.  I can drive the avatar around,
I get the menus at the top, lots of things don't work yet, and I can
hang it up pretty easily.  Somehow I inadvertantly created another
portal.  When I attempted a snap shot to record what was on screen, the
system generated a series of error messages that didn't seem to make a
lot of sense but at the root was something to do with snapshot and an
unidentified event handler, so I suspect that either my method of
getting Cobalt running meant some code was not in the Cobalt area yet
(probably some of the base Croquet stuff), or that some required bit was
either not defined or not compatible with Linux via the libraries called
or some such.

Good news is that the cobalt tools all seemed to open, and would
probably work if I knew what to do with them.  I will attempt the
lessons later tonight or tomorrow.

Regards,
Les H

Re: On going work with Linux and Cobalt

Søren Renner
Is that the 32 bit or 64 bit linux? I would run it if it worked on 64, which it didn't last time I checked.

Re: On going work with Linux and Cobalt

Ric Moore
On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 21:08 -0500, Søren Renner wrote:
> Is that the 32 bit or 64 bit linux? I would run it if it worked on 64,
> which it didn't last time I checked.

I believe Les is using 32bit. Our machines are almost identical, we both
run the same OS ...Fedora. I'm still running Fedora 7 which seems more
stable. I use the nVidia drivers straight from nVidia, which cleared up
the acceleration and libGL issues for me awhile back. Like Les, I can
open all the side tabs and use the browser on the web and do all kinds
of stuff. I have to shut down any other audio application, or I'll get
an openal error that the device is busy. I can open many audio
applications at once, under Linux. I'll have to dink with openal to
point to my alsa sound system daemon. Maybe it's looking for OSS? Alsa
will emulate OSS, but only one OSS app at a time.

I just can't get the Cobalt Icon, when dragged into the middle of the
Cobalt Desktop, to do anything. Can I open a local example on my
machine, or is it solely dependent on a network connection to do
anything useful?? I can't tell much as the screen I get just stays red
announcing it's waiting for a connection. But, the modem lights don't
blink. Nothing seems to happen. The mouse pointer that was used to drag
the icon remains glued to the red screen and then I have a second mouse
pointer to use. I am at a loss. Pounding away at it, any other Linux
users on this list running Cobalt, besides Les and me?? We need to talk!
Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too