One the purpose and use of Squeak's project mechanism

1 message Options

One the purpose and use of Squeak's project mechanism

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

During the last weeks, there has been vivid discussions about the use of Morphic's globals and Squeak's project mechanism on this list.

I think that many of us use projects either for context/task management or not at all. However, Squeak's projects represent an abstraction for having multiple UI frameworks in the very same environment up and running. I think this is crucial and powerful and sets us apart from many other Smalltalk implementations. For now, we have MVC and the SqueakShell in addition to Morphic. There is room for more; the Project interface is considered extensible. :)

Last year, we wrote down something in this regard:

Marcel Taeumel and Robert Hirschfeld. Evolving User Interfaces From Within Self-sustaining Programming Environments: Exploring the Project Concept of Squeak/Smalltalk to Bootstrap UIs. In Proceedings of the Programming Experience 2016 (PX/16) Workshop, co-located with the European Conference on Object-oriented Programming (ECOOP), pages 43-59, Rome, Italy, July 18, 2016, ACM DL.

Please find an author's copy here:

The original remains at ACM DL:

Enjoy the reading. :-)

Best,