Open a Browser Selector of Class

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Used to be Browser class>>#newOnClass: aClass selector: aSymbol. How do we do it in 3.0? I hunted around but couldn't find exactly that (a lot of other browseXyz's though).
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Open a Browser Selector of Class

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
On 28 Jan 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Used to be Browser class>>#newOnClass: aClass selector: aSymbol. How do we do
it in 3.0? I hunted around but couldn't find exactly that (a lot of other
browseXyz's though).

I am not sure to understand correctly but

    Nautilus openOnMethod: (aClass>>#selector)

might be your answer :)

Ben

Re: Open a Browser Selector of Class

pharo4Stef@free.fr
Sean

I tried to fix the Browser but it is broken and the code is terrible.
I developed OndoBrowser (the minimal one I could do: just two lists and a pane) it is in my petitBazards account
because I wanted to be able to browse code when any clever browser is not in the image.
My plan is to develop a new version of Ondo based on announcements.

Stef

On 28 Jan 2014, at 20:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Used to be Browser class>>#newOnClass: aClass selector: aSymbol. How do we do
> it in 3.0? I hunted around but couldn't find exactly that (a lot of other
> browseXyz's though).
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Open a Browser Selector of Class

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
    Nautilus openOnMethod: (aClass>>#selector)
Yes, that works. I got confused because there used to be a standard browser-agnostic way to do it. I was expecting the message to be in AbstractTool. I guess now the way is:
   Smalltalk tools browser openOnMethod: (aClass>>#selector)
or
   Smalltalk tools browser newOnClass: Object selector: #=
since "Smalltalk tools browser" returns Nautilus by default.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Open a Browser Selector of Class

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Pharo4Stef wrote
because I wanted to be able to browse code when any clever browser is not in the image.
Yes it's valuable to have simple backups
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Open a Browser Selector of Class

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 28 Jan 2014, at 20:47, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Used to be Browser class>>#newOnClass: aClass selector: aSymbol. How do we do
>> it in 3.0? I hunted around but couldn't find exactly that (a lot of other
>> browseXyz's though).
>
> I am not sure to understand correctly but
>
>     Nautilus openOnMethod: (aClass>>#selector)
>
> might be your answer :)

Works great, actually the parenthesis are not needed (binary messages take precedence over keyword messages, but you knew that already):

        Nautilus openOnMethod: ZnClient>>#get

Sven

On 28 Jan 2014, at 18:20, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Works great, actually the parenthesis are not needed (binary messages take precedence over keyword messages, but you knew that already):

Nautilus openOnMethod: ZnClient>>#get

If just find it easier to read :P

Ben

On 28 Jan 2014, at 22:22, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2014, at 18:20, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Works great, actually the parenthesis are not needed (binary messages take precedence over keyword messages, but you knew that already):
>>
>> Nautilus openOnMethod: ZnClient>>#get
>>

> If just find it easier to read :P

I hadn't looked at it from that perspective but now that you mention it, maybe it does ;-)

Re: Open a Browser Selector of Class

EstebanLM
Smalltalk tools browser openOnMethod: Object>>#name

that works too

On 29 Jan 2014, at 10:16, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Smalltalk tools browser openOnMethod: Object>>#name
>
> that works too

Except that you chose a method that must die as an example ;-)

On 29 Jan 2014, at 10:31, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2014, at 10:16, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Smalltalk tools browser openOnMethod: Object>>#name
>>
>> that works too
>
> Except that you chose a method that must die as an example ;-)

it’s a tribute.
last wishes of a condemned method…

>> On 28 Jan 2014, at 21:44, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
>>>
>>> Yes, that works. I got confused because there used to be a standard
>>> browser-agnostic way to do it. I was expecting the message to be in
>>> AbstractTool. I guess now the way is:
>>> Smalltalk tools browser openOnMethod: (aClass>>#selector)
>>> or
>>> Smalltalk tools browser newOnClass: Object selector: #=
>>> since "Smalltalk tools browser" returns Nautilus by default.
>>>

>>> -----
>>> Cheers,
>>> Sean

Re: Open a Browser Selector of Class

pharo4Stef@free.fr

>>> Smalltalk tools browser openOnMethod: Object>>#name
>>>
>>> that works too
>>
>> Except that you chose a method that must die as an example ;-)
>
> it’s a tribute.
> last wishes of a condemned method…

another victory in perspective :)