Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

Tapple Gao
Edgar J. De Cleene, Keith Hodges, and I are going to hold a
meeting on Skype this Saturday at 1600 UTC. We want to discuss
what the next release process should look like, and would
welcome input, especially if you are willing to help or have a
tool that could help us with the release effort. On the agenda
is:

The main agenda items are:
- How to maintain communication within the release team, and
  with the wider community
- Keith's Level Playing Field
- Pavel's Kernel Image / Minimal Morphic
- What to do about the update stream and the MC packages that
  3.9 and 3.10 releases produced

Secondary agenda items are:
- Monticello 2 status
- DeltaStreams status

We most likely will not discuss specific changes/bug fixes that
would be managed by the release team. The meeting is more an
attempt to get some coherency into the release process, since
there are now a few different directions the release team could
go in. We welcome your input.

I will record and post the meeting discussions

Re: Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 1/31/08 1:39 AM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Edgar J. De Cleene, Keith Hodges, and I are going to hold a
> meeting on Skype this Saturday at 1600 UTC.

Sorry, but I said in the other list and to Matthew could be difficult for me
this Saturday at 1600 UTC.
I on the process of moving to new place, so until all process finish...

Edgar

Re: Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

stephane ducasse
The only point I would like to make is that it is important to be able
to reproduce an image (and one day from a set of packages).
So if we could improve MC2 (colin is working on it) so that we can
really build a cooler system with tests and
we could share changes (deltastreams) then it would be good.

 From the process point of view. I do not believe in a system where
any fix can be loaded in the system.
There are so much subtle points that can break that this is important
to keep Squeak a cool system.
Stef

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 07:38:20AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 1/31/08 1:39 AM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribi?:
>
> > Edgar J. De Cleene, Keith Hodges, and I are going to hold a
> > meeting on Skype this Saturday at 1600 UTC.
>
> Sorry, but I said in the other list and to Matthew could be difficult for me
> this Saturday at 1600 UTC.
> I on the process of moving to new place, so until all process finish...

If you can't make the meeting, I think it should be rescheduled,
since the primary reason I'm arranging it is so Keith and I can
put our Ideas with yours and try to form a plan.

In other words, we can't really start without you.

El 1/31/08 9:10 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> In other words, we can't really start without you.

I'm unimportant.

Lets me paste here the same mail I send to release team mail list so all
here could have clues and give very important feedback.

> If people buy the idea of start from 3.8.2 , all could be easier.
> 3.8.2 don't have Monticello or Traits built into !
>
> I resume my idea , tested in private experiments.
>
> 1) Shrink from top, in same way as 3.10, cutting all we know could go to some
> repository and loaded again as if never was cut. Goal is going as close of
MinimalMorphic is possible now.

> 2) Add some I have now in FunSqueak, that is the Javier unistall, and some
> convenience code.
>
> 3) Run some Pavel code for we be sure have the latest 3.10 code .
>
> 4) Port all relevant code from all forks (OLPC, Sophie, Croquet, Squeakland,
> etc)
>
> 5) Decide of the .sources.
> I like the Maurice Raab scheme , but can't complete the process in Mac, XP or
> Linux.
> I send mails to both Ralph and Maurice, seems other people have success.
> Or I doing some stupid thing (wish know)
>
> 6) Agree with Steph and Sophie people which toys they advice how to have in
> Squeak
>
> 7) As a baby take 9 months, I said taking less is unwise, so if we start on
> 1/3/08, release must end before the year ends

And the last news is I could be on IRC and in Skype as edgardec from 8 a to
12 Argentina time (we are now -2 GMT)
Moving to new place was delayed one more week.

Cheers !

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:29:42PM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> And the last news is I could be on IRC and in Skype as edgardec from 8 a to
> 12 Argentina time (we are now -2 GMT)
> Moving to new place was delayed one more week.

Does that mean you have a four-hour window in which to meet, or
a 16 hour window? I can't tell which 12 you are talking about

El 2/1/08 12:25 AM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Does that mean you have a four-hour window in which to meet, or
> a 16 hour window? I can't tell which 12 you are talking about

I could be connected for about 4 hours.
8 to 12 Argentina time or 06:00 to 10:00 GMT (roughly)

Edgar

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:55:09AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> I could be connected for about 4 hours.
> 8 to 12 Argentina time or 06:00 to 10:00 GMT (roughly)

actually, it is 10:00 to 14:00 GMT, which is 03:00 to 07:00 my
time. I may try to meet with you near the end of that, but it is
pretty early in the morning.

El 2/1/08 12:06 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:55:09AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> I could be connected for about 4 hours.
>> 8 to 12 Argentina time or 06:00 to 10:00 GMT (roughly)
>
> actually, it is 10:00 to 14:00 GMT, which is 03:00 to 07:00 my
> time. I may try to meet with you near the end of that, but it is
> pretty early in the morning.

Ok.
We just chat some and learn Phoenix Arizona USA is five hours to west of
Rosario Santa Fe Argentina.

So a convenience time for us and some Europa people (3 hours to my east)
could be difficult.

What about a window of 17:00 to 21:00 GMT , this is better ?

Edgar

And just today I broke my watch...

Re: Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

Bert Freudenberg
On Feb 1, 2008, at 19:18 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 2/1/08 12:06 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:55:09AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>> I could be connected for about 4 hours.
>>> 8 to 12 Argentina time or 06:00 to 10:00 GMT (roughly)
>>
>> actually, it is 10:00 to 14:00 GMT, which is 03:00 to 07:00 my
>> time. I may try to meet with you near the end of that, but it is
>> pretty early in the morning.
>
> Ok.
> We just chat some and learn Phoenix Arizona USA is five hours to
> west of
> Rosario Santa Fe Argentina.
>
> So a convenience time for us and some Europa people (3 hours to my
> east)
> could be difficult.
>
> What about a window of 17:00 to 21:00 GMT , this is better ?

May I suggest

http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

- Bert -

Re: Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

Giuseppe
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?
day=2&month=2&year=2008&p1=0&p2=141&p3=51&p4=197

El 01/02/2008, a las 19:08, Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On Feb 1, 2008, at 19:18 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

>>> actually, it is 10:00 to 14:00 GMT, which is 03:00 to 07:00 my
>>> time. I may try to meet with you near the end of that, but it is
>>> pretty early in the morning.
>>
>> Ok.
>> We just chat some and learn Phoenix Arizona USA is five hours to
>> west of
>> Rosario Santa Fe Argentina.
>>
>> So a convenience time for us and some Europa people (3 hours to my
>> east)
>> could be difficult.
>>
>> What about a window of 17:00 to 21:00 GMT , this is better ?
>
> May I suggest
>
> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html
>
> - Bert -

Re: Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

Janko Mivšek
May I also recommend a nice FireFox/Thunderbird extension named FoxClocks:

"FoxClocks lets you keep an eye on the time around the world - or just
your local time - by putting small clocks in your statusbar"

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

stephane ducasse
Hi

Do I understand well that for 3.11 you want to start from 3.8.2?

Stef

El 2/1/08 3:53 PM, "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> May I also recommend a nice FireFox/Thunderbird extension named FoxClocks:
>
> "FoxClocks lets you keep an eye on the time around the world - or just
> your local time - by putting small clocks in your statusbar"

> JAnko

Another useful link.
I copy the green for Phoenix,Rosario, Ljubljana with the Bert link

Edgar

Picture 5.png (16K) Download Attachment

El 2/1/08 5:02 PM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi
>
> Do I understand well that for 3.11 you want to start from 3.8.2?
>
> Stef

It's only one possibility.
The tentative image is 3.10 derivative
But we could start from 3.8.2 and load relevant code from all places as I
said .

Edgar

Re: Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

stephane ducasse
Apparently you do not estimate well the effort of 3.9.
Good luck.

Stef