OpenCroquet Update

Clarence
Hello,
I have been watching OpenCroquet for about 6 months.  I installed the Beta
release last June and got it to work between 2 computers on my LAN.

I have been accepting the posts from this forum and just listening in. Today I
revisited the OpenCroquet.org site and was surprised to find that it doesn't
seem to have been changed in the past 6 months.  The Blogs are all 6 months old
or older and there is no new information.

Is this project still developing?

If so, when will you release an updated version that will be open to the Web?

Will there be a central world where people who are interested in Open Croque
can collaborate or just ask questions (other than in this forum)?

As I am not a programmer, I can't contribute to the development but I would be
interested in helping test and provide feedback.

Thanks,
Clarence

RE: OpenCroquet Update

Scott C. Lemon
Hello,

I have to agree!  Please don't allow this to die!

I have just completed a project that was keeping me from continuing to
experiment with Croquet.  Upon revisiting the web site over the last couple
of weeks, I can't seem to find anything new ...

Is there new software?  Am I able to now connect over the Internet ... Not
just my local LAN?

What is going on with the blogs, and the flow of information about the
project status and intentions?

I really want to see things continue!

Scott C. Lemon

RE: OpenCroquet Update

Kaan Bingöl
I agree as well. I downloaded software and registered into mailing list. The project seemed to me a real opportunity to build an open platform for virtual collaboration in 3D. With all the brilliant names behind the project such as Alan Kay, it may as well become a new computing architecture.

But web site does not get updated, and we have not seen a more testable environment as Clarence noted. I believe many talented people are still working on the project as i can follow from discussions on this list, but from a work product perspective it is relatively slow in development.

May be in this list we should also discuss, along with technical issues, how this project can atract and involve a wider audience, to speed up the development.

A wider community may be needed to get a momentum. I believe Croquet should have a better visibility and role in this fast progressing "virtual worlds" area.

Thanks to all people who made this idea real.
Kaan

Clarence

Re: OpenCroquet Update

Darius Clarke
Clarence,

We're transitioning web sites.
Keep looking a http://www.croquetconsortium.org for more info in the next couple weeks.

Cheers,
Darius

On 1/29/07, Clarence Prudhoe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

K.J

Re: OpenCroquet Update

K.J
I removed myself from the list once, but I'm starting to receive emails again.  How do I do so again?

Darius Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have a new email address: [hidden email].  Please update your contacts.  I will be keeping my Yahoo address for at least 6 months in case any errant emails get sent there, but please begin using the new address as soon as possible.

Need Mail bonding?

Re: OpenCroquet Update

Lachlan Simpson
Me three....I am at uni studying IT, but have a large, broad interest
and can only keep looking every now and again - my interest is divided
so many ways.

The number/length of updates that need be applied is troublesome to me
- and potentially could do with a new interface? - us Aussies still
have poor levels of broadband...

anyhoo - keep it up, it's fun

cheers

L.

--
READ CAREFULLY. By accepting this email you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.
http://www.ReasonableAgreement.org

Re: OpenCroquet Update

Howard Stearns
One of the things that motivates me to work on Croquet is that I find
working with IT, IT departments, or between organizations to be
unacceptably difficult.  From my perspective, the Croquet SDK
technology has been ready to come out of beta for some time now, but
arranging IT stuff like servers and inter-institution organization is
a lot more difficult than it ought to be.  The original architects
have put herculean towards making it happen sooner rather than later.
I feel Julian and Andreas deserve special mention for a lot that
hasn't been seen.

The actual SDK has been developing right along, and has long been
available to developers at a public code repository (http://
hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/). Updating from there has been
discussed on the Development list rather than here because it's
really intended to put current software into developer's hands rather
than being an end-user tool.  The SDK has for some time now had
varying examples of WAN connectivity (see http://www.nabble.com/
Running-Croquet-examples-across-WAN(VLANS)-t2200883.html), better
avatars (see http://croquet-bento.blogspot.com/2006/06/better-
avatars.htmll) and lots of other fun stuff. But everything in the SDK
is, well, a developer's kit, not an end-user application.

I cannot speak for the Consortium, nor for the several commercial,
institutional, and individual folks who are building stuff on the
Croquet SDK. But I can tell you about the project I work on. A small
group of us have wanted to start exploring the use of Croquet as an
end-user tool. The SDK itself doesn't provide an application or a
place to connect to. We want to explore what it takes to do that.  We
have formed a non-profit corporation and have a site, software, and
Croquet world at http://croquetcollaborative.org.  The software is
the same as what is available in the public repository, but pre-
loaded.  Although discussing aspects on the dev list and on my blog
(http://wetmachine.com/itf), I haven't announced it here because it
needs tuning and reliability and lots of development. I also wanted
to wait until the new SDK release, but hadn't realized that folks
were waiting to hear about things like this.  So keeping in mind
those caveats and the fact that this is but one little project, go
ahead and check it out.

-Howard

On Jan 29, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Clarence Prudhoe wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been watching OpenCroquet for about 6 months.  I installed
> the Beta
> release last June and got it to work between 2 computers on my LAN.
>
> I have been accepting the posts from this forum and just listening
> in. Today I
> revisited the OpenCroquet.org site and was surprised to find that
> it doesn't
> seem to have been changed in the past 6 months.  The Blogs are all
> 6 months old
> or older and there is no new information.
>
> Is this project still developing?
>
> If so, when will you release an updated version that will be open
> to the Web?
>
> Will there be a central world where people who are interested in
> Open Croque
> can collaborate or just ask questions (other than in this forum)?
>
> As I am not a programmer, I can't contribute to the development but
> I would be
> interested in helping test and provide feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> Clarence

Re: OpenCroquet Update

Alan Grimes-2
That sounds great...

If it weren't for the fact that my motherboard is sufficiently obscure
(yet still an x86 PC!) as to be effectively unsupported by Linux. My
machine crashes instantly, completely, and every time an OpenGL
application or dagnostic program is run...

The only advice I've been given is to buy a new machine so that in three
years I can experience the same thing all over again.

|/-\|/-\|

Re: OpenCroquet Update

Ric Moore
On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 23:44 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
> That sounds great...
>
> If it weren't for the fact that my motherboard is sufficiently obscure
> (yet still an x86 PC!) as to be effectively unsupported by Linux. My
> machine crashes instantly, completely, and every time an OpenGL
> application or dagnostic program is run...
>
> The only advice I've been given is to buy a new machine so that in three
> years I can experience the same thing all over again.

What distro have you tried to install? I used to run an 8 line BBS along
with 12 terminals hooked into two Dicken's terminal servers, ran apache,
Nightmare MudOS, FTP, Y-talk, all the users doing telnet on a 486 DX/2
66 with 32 megs of memory. Granted, openGL was a pipe dream back then,
but Linux sure as heck ran on it and did all of the above. I have a
secondary PIII with 128 megs that I run Fedora Core 5 on. Sure, it's
slow, no openGL on it either, but she uses swap and runs. If you have
something weird like a tyan dual processor MB, just shut one of them
down through the bios until you're installed. Email me off list and I'll
try to help you with it. I used to do installation support for RedHat.
Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

RE: OpenCroquet Update

Ron Teitelbaum
I feel for you Alan!!

I just bought a $500 laptop (it was on sale, keep an eye on the paper).
It's a great machine; I plan to use it for demos and network testing.  It's
difficult to think of computers as disposable, but it's much easier now then
a few years ago when I put down $5K for a compact!  (Ok more then a few
years).  For a long time every good computer was $2K, now that's changing.
Consider adjusting your perspective as the prices fall.

BTW I still have that compact in the basement!  Heheheh.

Ron Teitelbaum

RE: OpenCroquet Update

Ed Boyce
Scott C. Lemon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to agree!  Please don't allow this to die!
>
> I have just completed a project that was keeping me from continuing to
> experiment with Croquet.  Upon revisiting the web site over the last
> couple
> of weeks, I can't seem to find anything new ...
>
> Is there new software?  Am I able to now connect over the Internet ... Not
> just my local LAN?
>
> What is going on with the blogs, and the flow of information about the
> project status and intentions?
>
> I really want to see things continue!

Patience will be rewarded.  My crystal ball tells me that we have not long
to wait for something new

> Scott C. Lemon

Ed Boyce
Education and Outreach Writer/Editor
Coordinator, Visualize Education Virtual Institute
Engaging People in CyberInfrastructure (EPIC) Program
http://www.eotepic.org

Boston University Center for Computational Science
3 Cummington Street, 5th Floor
Boston, Massachusetts  02215

413-245-3997