OpenGL performance on different platforms

OpenGL performance on different platforms

laza
Just curious ...

On Ubuntu I get a merely 25 fps doing the OpenGL example. If I move
the mouse it starts to get faster and reaches about 60 fps. Why? Now
on Windows7 running inside VirtualBox(!) on the very same hardware I
get up to 400 fps and there is no influence by moving the mouse. Are
there some magic buttons I have to press before using OpenGL on
Linux/Ubuntu?

Alex

Re: OpenGL performance on different platforms

Igor Stasenko
On 24 September 2010 17:43, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just curious ...
>
> On Ubuntu I get a merely 25 fps doing the OpenGL example. If I move
> the mouse it starts to get faster and reaches about 60 fps. Why? Now
> on Windows7 running inside VirtualBox(!) on the very same hardware I
> get up to 400 fps and there is no influence by moving the mouse. Are
> there some magic buttons I have to press before using OpenGL on
> Linux/Ubuntu?
>
> Alex

I'd be really happy to know answer to your question too, because i
likely wanna play with OpenGL
and don't wanna see things like that.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: OpenGL performance on different platforms

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> Just curious ...
>
> On Ubuntu I get a merely 25 fps doing the OpenGL example. If I move
> the mouse it starts to get faster and reaches about 60 fps. Why? Now
> on Windows7 running inside VirtualBox(!) on the very same hardware I
> get up to 400 fps and there is no influence by moving the mouse. Are
> there some magic buttons I have to press before using OpenGL on
> Linux/Ubuntu?

I guess it's a driver issue. I'm sure there are OpenGL benchmarks written
in C out there, so you can easily check this.

Levente

> Alex

Re: OpenGL performance on different platforms

Bert Freudenberg

On 25.09.2010, at 01:42, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Alexander Lazarević wrote:
>
>> Just curious ...
>>
>> On Ubuntu I get a merely 25 fps doing the OpenGL example. If I move
>> the mouse it starts to get faster and reaches about 60 fps. Why? Now
>> on Windows7 running inside VirtualBox(!) on the very same hardware I
>> get up to 400 fps and there is no influence by moving the mouse. Are
>> there some magic buttons I have to press before using OpenGL on
>> Linux/Ubuntu?
>
> I guess it's a driver issue. I'm sure there are OpenGL benchmarks written in C out there, so you can easily check this.

I've seen the "need to move mouse to cause anything to happen" issue even without using OpenGL. We never really figured that one out. It's not easily reproducible across systems.

There also was a possibly related problem in that our squeaksource server would freeze, and wiggling the mouse would get it unstuck.

- Bert -

Re: OpenGL performance on different platforms

Derek O'Connell-3
  On 25/09/10 12:49, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 25.09.2010, at 01:42, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Alexander Lazarević wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious ...
>>>
>>> On Ubuntu I get a merely 25 fps doing the OpenGL example. If I move
>>> the mouse it starts to get faster and reaches about 60 fps. Why? Now
>>> on Windows7 running inside VirtualBox(!) on the very same hardware I
>>> get up to 400 fps and there is no influence by moving the mouse. Are
>>> there some magic buttons I have to press before using OpenGL on
>>> Linux/Ubuntu?
>> I guess it's a driver issue. I'm sure there are OpenGL benchmarks written in C out there, so you can easily check this.
> I've seen the "need to move mouse to cause anything to happen" issue even without using OpenGL. We never really figured that one out. It's not easily reproducible across systems.
>
> There also was a possibly related problem in that our squeaksource server would freeze, and wiggling the mouse would get it unstuck.
>
> - Bert -

A hunch for Linux: interrupts from mouse/ mouse-driver trigger early
return of system calls (with errors EINTR/EAGAIN) and the surrounding
code simply fails silently rather than do an immediate retry. IIRC
*any/all* sys calls can be interrupted in this way.

-D