Our ancient ancestor

timrowledge
http://www.wadlow.org/xerox-alto.html

tim
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.

Re: Our ancient ancestor

Bert Freudenberg

Re: Our ancient ancestor

Alexander Lazarević
Thanks for the links!!

Alex

Re: Our ancient ancestor

Hannes Hirzel
And the wide bodied Alto had 512kB of memory = 1/2 MB, right?

RaspberryPi has a thousand times more.

So Squeak _should_ run on it properly... Does it?

--Hannes

On 4/30/13, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the links!!
>
> Alex
>

> 2013/4/30 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>

>> On 2013-04-25, at 19:07, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.wadlow.org/xerox-alto.html
>>

>> With images:
>>
>> http://archive.org/stream/byte-magazine-1981-09/BYTE_Vol_06-09_1981-09_Artifical_Intelligence#page/n59/mode/2up
>>
>> And the month earlier was of course the famous Smalltalk issue:
>>
>> http://archive.org/stream/byte-magazine-1981-08/1981_08_BYTE_06-08_Smalltalk#page/n0/mode/2up
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: Our ancient ancestor

timrowledge

On 01-05-2013, at 11:58 AM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And the wide bodied Alto had 512kB of memory = 1/2 MB, right?
>
> RaspberryPi has a thousand times more.
>
> So Squeak _should_ run on it properly... Does it?

It certainly runs 'properly'. The raw performance (currently with the plain interpreter, stackvm coming soon and Cog sometime) is rather good at around 40mbc/s & 1.4msends/s, which is probably around 400 times faster than an Alto. Morphic UI performance is not so good but that is mostly because it's terrible on *all* machines with current high-end Macs etc managing to cover it up with brute power. Run an older image - say 2.8 era - and consider how we have managed to ruin the UI speed. Try an old image on a Pi and be amazed.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. = I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Re: Our ancient ancestor

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Quoting tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

> On 01-05-2013, at 11:58 AM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And the wide bodied Alto had 512kB of memory = 1/2 MB, right?
>>
>> RaspberryPi has a thousand times more.
>>
>> So Squeak _should_ run on it properly... Does it?
>
> It certainly runs 'properly'. The raw performance (currently with
> the plain interpreter, stackvm coming soon and Cog sometime) is
> rather good at around 40mbc/s & 1.4msends/s, which is probably
> around 400 times faster than an Alto. Morphic UI performance is not
> so good but that is mostly because it's terrible on *all* machines
> with current high-end Macs etc managing to cover it up with brute
> power. Run an older image - say 2.8 era - and consider how we have
> managed to ruin the UI speed. Try an old image on a Pi and be amazed.

Or try Cuis on it. As responsive as the 2.8 (in a Morphic project),
but also looks good.

> tim
> Useful Latin Phrases:- Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est
> in aure. = I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Our ancient ancestor

timrowledge

On 01-05-2013, at 4:01 PM, "Juan Vuletich (mail lists)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:
>

>> On 01-05-2013, at 11:58 AM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> And the wide bodied Alto had 512kB of memory = 1/2 MB, right?
>>>
>>> RaspberryPi has a thousand times more.
>>>
>>> So Squeak _should_ run on it properly... Does it?
>>
>> It certainly runs 'properly'. The raw performance (currently with the plain interpreter, stackvm coming soon and Cog sometime) is rather good at around 40mbc/s & 1.4msends/s, which is probably around 400 times faster than an Alto. Morphic UI performance is not so good but that is mostly because it's terrible on *all* machines with current high-end Macs etc managing to cover it up with brute power. Run an older image - say 2.8 era - and consider how we have managed to ruin the UI speed. Try an old image on a Pi and be amazed.
>
> Or try Cuis on it. As responsive as the 2.8 (in a Morphic project), but also looks good.

Quite right - I should have remembered to say that.

tim
Strange OpCodes: RSC: Rewind System Clock