POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Simon Michael
Good day all (and apologies for the misfire),

should we merge planet.croquet.org with planet.squeak.org ?

Against:

- some people interested in croquet won't want to read all of the general
squeak stuff, and vice-versa, especially in future as both squeak and
croquet posts increase.

For:

- blogs don't fall cleanly into the squeak or croquet camp; they touch on
both topics, vary over time, and it's not always possible to segment the
feed by category tags. If you include blogs on both, readers of both
planets will see annoying duplicates. If you don't, readers of one planet
will miss some interesting posts on the other.

- both planets are fairly low volume at this point in time, and at least
for now one planet would be simpler and more convenient for some readers.

Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Noury Bouraqadi
Please do merge them.

Noury
Le 9 avr. 07 à 21:19, Simon Michael a écrit :

> Good day all (and apologies for the misfire),
>
> should we merge planet.croquet.org with planet.squeak.org ?
>
> Against:
>
> - some people interested in croquet won't want to read all of the
> general squeak stuff, and vice-versa, especially in future as both
> squeak and croquet posts increase.
>
> For:
>
> - blogs don't fall cleanly into the squeak or croquet camp; they
> touch on both topics, vary over time, and it's not always possible
> to segment the feed by category tags. If you include blogs on both,
> readers of both planets will see annoying duplicates. If you don't,
> readers of one planet will miss some interesting posts on the other.
>
> - both planets are fairly low volume at this point in time, and at
> least for now one planet would be simpler and more convenient for
> some readers.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'option I.S.I.C.
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Hans N Beck-2

Hi,

I would vote against merging, in principle.

My reason: Squeak and Croquet have different goals, people, organisation (at least this is my observation from outer point of view). So I would not bother each other. But I can see it would be practical at this moment if posts are low. So if we can going back any time, make what is the best for practice, but in general I would keep them distinct.

Regards

Hans

Le 9 avr. 07 à 21:19, Simon Michael a écrit :

> Good day all (and apologies for the misfire),
>
> should we merge planet.croquet.org with planet.squeak.org ?
>
> Against:
>
> - some people interested in croquet won't want to read all of the
> general squeak stuff, and vice-versa, especially in future as both
> squeak and croquet posts increase.
>
> For:
>
> - blogs don't fall cleanly into the squeak or croquet camp; they
> touch on both topics, vary over time, and it's not always possible
> to segment the feed by category tags. If you include blogs on both,
> readers of both planets will see annoying duplicates. If you don't,
> readers of one planet will miss some interesting posts on the other.
>
> - both planets are fairly low volume at this point in time, and at
> least for now one planet would be simpler and more convenient for
> some readers.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'option I.S.I.C.
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Simon Michael
Thanks. That's one for and one against, so it seems we are keeping the
status quo (separate planets).

When blogs cover both (like propella.*, recently suggested for planet
squeak by Bert) I'll try to subscribe them using topic-specific feeds if
available, otherwise it will be a judgement call whether to subscribe them
to just one or to both. Your corrections and darcs patches will help keep
this current.

how to make your blog more syndicatable (Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?)

Simon Michael
Simon Michael wrote:
> otherwise it will be a judgement call whether to subscribe
> them to just one or to both.

PS, to recap: in the first case above, some interesting posts will be
missed by one of the planets from time to time.

In the second case, enthusiasts who follow both planets (eg in google
reader, like me) will see duplicated posts fairly often.

I guess I'll propose, then, if you are a blogspot author posting on both
general squeak and croquet topics, please consider enabling and using the
topic tags ("Labels") feature. (And any equivalent if you use some other
blog software).

You may need to upgrade to the newer version of blogspot, which is a good
idea in any case. Then you can tag some posts with "croquet", some with
"squeak", some with both - and the planets can subscribe to
".../search/label/squeak" and ".../search/label/croquet". You get the idea.
I know it's a bit more hassle when you just want to blog, but it seems like
the best way to deliver the content people want to see. Comments and
alternatives welcome.

Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Damien Cassou-3
I would prefer not to have Croquet related stuffs in the Squeak planet.

--
Damien Cassou