PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

rshiple
I have Prolog/V back running in a PrologWorkspace under Squeak 3.9 after sorting out a few compile issues (images now save/load fine with Prolog predicates compiled in Prolog and subclassses)

Will get Squeak Map updated as soon as I have a minimal logic browser to ease compiling Prolog predicates ( at the moment files with predicates for a Prolog class need to be filed-in separately to cover a few compile glitches/gotchas ).

Now to see how this an mesh with the BackTalk image that is available and the previous work on SOUL for Squeak.

Robert Shiplett
Smalltalk-Prolog guy

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

Steven Elkins
Good news.  I wonder where my copy of Adventure in Prolog is.

Regards,
Steve

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world.       -- Anne Frank
right now...only much, much better.    -- Laurie Anderson

Re: PROLOG running under Squeak Smalltalk

rshiple
here's one on-line ;-)
http://www.amzi.com/AdventureInProlog/advfrtop.htm

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world. -- Anne Frank
Paradise is exactly where you are
right now...only much, much better. -- Laurie Anderson

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

Andreas.Raab
w00t! Finally a *decent* language to have some fun in ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Robert Shiplett wrote:

> I have Prolog/V back running in a PrologWorkspace under Squeak 3.9 after
> sorting out a few compile issues (images now save/load fine with Prolog
> predicates compiled in Prolog and subclassses)
>
> Will get Squeak Map updated as soon as I have a minimal logic browser to
> ease compiling Prolog predicates ( at the moment files with predicates
> for a Prolog class need to be filed-in separately to cover a few compile
> glitches/gotchas ).
>
> Now to see how this an mesh with the BackTalk image that is available
> and the previous work on SOUL for Squeak.
>

> Robert Shiplett
> Smalltalk-Prolog guy

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

Stéphane Rollandin
Robert Shiplett wrote:
> I have Prolog/V back running in a PrologWorkspace under Squeak 3.9 after sorting out a few compile issues (images now save/load fine with Prolog predicates compiled in Prolog and subclassses)
>
> Will get Squeak Map updated as soon as I have a minimal logic browser to ease compiling Prolog predicates ( at the moment files with predicates for a Prolog class need to be filed-in separately to cover a few compile glitches/gotchas ).
>
> Now to see how this an mesh with the BackTalk image that is available and the previous work on SOUL for Squeak.

don't forget Schelog which runs under ULisp :)

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/schelog/schelog.html

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/lispkit.htm

regards,

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

Guillaume Grondin
Thank you Robert for this promissing news.

I've just updated the BackTalk package (BT-ggf.30.mcz) which is available on squeaksource (for Squeak3.9).
Many bugs remains, but most of examples in "BTSolver class>>runExamples" seem to work fine.
The results are printed on the Transcript.

Guillaume Grondin

Robert Shiplett wrote:
I have Prolog/V back running in a PrologWorkspace under Squeak 3.9 after sorting out a few compile issues (images now save/load fine with Prolog predicates compiled in Prolog and subclassses)

Will get Squeak Map updated as soon as I have a minimal logic browser to ease compiling Prolog predicates ( at the moment files with predicates for a Prolog class need to be filed-in separately to cover a few compile glitches/gotchas ).

Now to see how this an mesh with the BackTalk image that is available and the previous work on SOUL for Squeak.

Robert Shiplett
Smalltalk-Prolog guy

--
Guillaume Grondin
Ph.D candidate in Computer Science
Département IA, École des Mines de Douai
941, rue Charles Bourseul - BP 10838
59508 Douai Cedex
Tel : (+33) (0) 3 27 71 24 53
Fax : (+33) (0) 3 27 71 29 17
Email: [hidden email]
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/grondin

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

Serge Stinckwich-4
Robert Shiplett a écrit :

> I have Prolog/V back running in a PrologWorkspace under Squeak 3.9 after
> sorting out a few compile issues (images now save/load fine with Prolog
> predicates compiled in Prolog and subclassses)
>
> Will get Squeak Map updated as soon as I have a minimal logic browser to
> ease compiling Prolog predicates ( at the moment files with predicates
> for a Prolog class need to be filed-in separately to cover a few compile
> glitches/gotchas ).
>
> Now to see how this an mesh with the BackTalk image that is available
> and the previous work on SOUL for Squeak.

This is available on SqueakMap ? no SqueakSource project ?

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

Robert Shiplett a écrit :

> I have Prolog/V back running in a PrologWorkspace under Squeak 3.9 after
> sorting out a few compile issues (images now save/load fine with Prolog
> predicates compiled in Prolog and subclassses)
>
> Will get Squeak Map updated as soon as I have a minimal logic browser to
> ease compiling Prolog predicates ( at the moment files with predicates
> for a Prolog class need to be filed-in separately to cover a few compile
> glitches/gotchas ).
>
> Now to see how this an mesh with the BackTalk image that is available
> and the previous work on SOUL for Squeak.

BTW, what is the status of SOUL for Squeak ? There is a SqueakSource
projet SOUL back to Squeak : http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSoul.html
but no code seems to be available ...

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

rshiple
I think Roel Wuyts must know where this is at ... and if there is a grad student or post-doc interested

Robert Shiplett a écrit :
> I think Roel Wuyts must know where this is at ... and if there is a grad
> student or post-doc interested

yes, sure.

I'm looking for a Prolog in Smalltalk in order to implement an
AgentSpeak(L) interpreter. AgentSpeak(L) is an agent langage based on
the BDI (Belief-Desire-Intention) model
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDI_software_agent)

The AgentSpeak(L) language is in fact very similar to Prolog. I would
like to know if Prolog/V or SOUL are flexible enough in order to have a
slighty modified syntax. In Prolog, there is usually an op relation to
do that. Or maybe a better idea is to write an AgentSpeak(L)
meta-interpreter.

Here is a very simple AgentSpeak(L) sentence :

+concert(A,V) : likes(A) :- !book_tickets(A,V).

that means : if the agent perceives that a concert for the artist A at
venue V occurs, then if the agent likes artist A, then the agent got a
new goal : book some tickets. The first part before :, play as a trigger.

Thank you,

-- Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

rshiple
at the moment I am exploring Io as an embedded language to work with a language such as XSB+Logtalk
    http://www.iolanguage.com/about/
while getting back to some Squeak and VW

I have no luck sompileing GNU St ( but GNU Prolog compiles fine and runs fine with Logtalk );  what looks just excellent for embedding is Smalltalk/X

I am also trying to keep an eye on the Parrot vm and Plan9

Sadly, I can never get Slate to compile on my Win32 GNU box ... when most anything that doesn't interest me compiles fine ( configure + make ) if I have the patience.

Speaking of patience: bring up a Cecil image !  But Craig's ideas are terrific about evolving a project towards being safe.  Rather than being forced, as seems to be coming to future ECMAScript and Python ....

Btw, Io compiles fine for me, but not the IoFE or so-called IoFE2 do not.

It is such a pleasure that so many packages load fine into Squeak !

Robert

Robert Shiplett a écrit :
> I think Roel Wuyts must know where this is at ... and if there is a grad
> student or post-doc interested

yes, sure.

I'm looking for a Prolog in Smalltalk in order to implement an
AgentSpeak(L) interpreter. AgentSpeak(L) is an agent langage based on
the BDI (Belief-Desire-Intention) model
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDI_software_agent)

The AgentSpeak(L) language is in fact very similar to Prolog. I would
like to know if Prolog/V or SOUL are flexible enough in order to have a
slighty modified syntax. In Prolog, there is usually an op relation to
do that. Or maybe a better idea is to write an AgentSpeak(L)
meta-interpreter.

Here is a very simple AgentSpeak(L) sentence :

+concert(A,V) : likes(A) :- !book_tickets(A,V).

that means : if the agent perceives that a concert for the artist A at
venue V occurs, then if the agent likes artist A, then the agent got a
new goal : book some tickets. The first part before :, play as a trigger.

Thank you,

-- Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

Lex Spoon-3
Robert Shiplett <[hidden email]> writes:
> Will get Squeak Map updated as soon as I have a minimal logic
> browser to ease compiling Prolog predicates ( at the moment files
> with predicates for a Prolog class need to be filed-in separately to
> cover a few compile glitches/gotchas ).

Robert,

Let me second everyone and say this sounds real fun!

If you have the time, it would be nice of you to post your code to a
the development "package universe" in addition to SqueakMap.  This
package universe is used by Damien Cassou's developer's image, and by
Damien and myself to put together a distribution of packages for 3.10.

Info is here:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3785

What it would boil down to for you, if you play with this, is using a
little Squeak GUI to maintain information about the code you want to
share, e.g. the current version and the URL to download it from.

-Lex

Re: PROLOG/V running under Squeak 3.9-7067

Guillaume Grondin
I've asked the same question last month.
This package is in fact an attempt of Johan Brichau implement SOUL by
reusing a Prolog package. This seems to be a work in progress.

Johan Brichau wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The 'SOUL back to Squeak' project on squeaksource is indeed on hold
> for now. Maybe someday a port to Squeak will be produced again, for
> now, the official version is on the cincom store and for Visualworks
> only.
>
> Sorry about that,
> Johan
Then, Roel sent me two zip files, one of them ("the old one") were very
easy to port to Squeak 3.9 in a monticello package.

Roel Wuyts wrote:
> The old one is really old ;-)
>
> I attached two versions of Soul for you. The first one (Squeak.zip) is
> really old.
>
> The other one should work in Squeak 2.8, so I would give that one a
> try. It even comes with installation instructions and unit tests for
> the Prolog predicates (not really for Soul itself, sorry), etc. Have
> fun :-) Let me know how it goes :-)
I wish it helped ...

Guillaume Grondin