Packages and dependencies (squeakmap and monticello)

Packages and dependencies (squeakmap and monticello)

Sophie424
I am a bit surprised that packages in squeakmap (and monticello?) do not
seem to be aware of package dependencies. There may be historical or
technical reasons for this, but for someone coming from Ruby I really miss
the equivalent of Ruby's "gem" package system:

    gem install foobar

will inspect meta-data on the foobar package, and then locate and install
any required packages as well if they are not present already, before
installing foobar. It is also version aware.

Is there a way to do this with squeak packages? Some specific reason for not
doing this?

Thanks.

Re: Packages and dependencies (squeakmap and monticello)

Damien Cassou-3
itsme213 wrote:

> I am a bit surprised that packages in squeakmap (and monticello?) do not
> seem to be aware of package dependencies. There may be historical or
> technical reasons for this, but for someone coming from Ruby I really
> miss the equivalent of Ruby's "gem" package system:
>
>    gem install foobar
>
> will inspect meta-data on the foobar package, and then locate and
> install any required packages as well if they are not present already,
> before installing foobar. It is also version aware.
>
> Is there a way to do this with squeak packages? Some specific reason for
> not doing this?

This is a real problem currently. However, someone is working on
creating debian-like packages for squeak which will just be perfect in
my opinion.

Some package mainteners write scripts that are launched during the
installation and install the necessary dependencies. Lukas wrote one for
pier and one for Seaside. Normally, SeasideInstaller and Pier on
SqueakMap should install the dependencies.

Bye

Re: Packages and dependencies (squeakmap and monticello)

stéphane ducasse-2

On 13 août 06, at 17:22, Damien Cassou wrote:

> itsme213 wrote:
>> I am a bit surprised that packages in squeakmap (and monticello?)
>> do not seem to be aware of package dependencies. There may be
>> historical or technical reasons for this, but for someone coming
>> from Ruby I really miss the equivalent of Ruby's "gem" package
>> system:
>>    gem install foobar
>> will inspect meta-data on the foobar package, and then locate and
>> install any required packages as well if they are not present
>> already, before installing foobar. It is also version aware.
>> Is there a way to do this with squeak packages? Some specific
>> reason for not doing this?
>
> This is a real problem currently. However, someone is working on
> creating debian-like packages for squeak which will just be perfect
> in my opinion.

who?
so far nobody!

> Some package mainteners write scripts that are launched during the
> installation and install the necessary dependencies. Lukas wrote
> one for pier and one for Seaside. Normally, SeasideInstaller and
> Pier on SqueakMap should install the dependencies.
>

> Bye

Re: Packages and dependencies (squeakmap and monticello)

Damien Cassou-3
>> This is a real problem currently. However, someone is working on
>> creating debian-like packages for squeak which will just be perfect in
>> my opinion.
>
> who?
> so far nobody!

Ok, it seems I misunderstood what Damien Pollet told me a month before.
But, he is working on package dependency and automatic installation, so
this still answers the question :-)

Re: Packages and dependencies (squeakmap and monticello)

stéphane ducasse-2
> Ok, it seems I misunderstood what Damien Pollet told me a month
> before. But, he is working on package dependency and automatic
> installation, so this still answers the question :-)

I will push damien to work on that :)