Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

12

Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Frank Shearar
I did this before I read your mail, Andreas :)

But at any rate, there's also a copy here:
http://www.angband.za.org/~frank/Squeak-4.1-9745-100326-installer.exe

frank

Andreas Raab wrote:

> I put a copy on:
>
>   http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/install/
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
> On 3/26/2010 12:22 AM, Ian Trudel wrote:
>> People hi,
>>
>> This is a small update on an installer for testing purpose, feedback
>> are welcomed. I'd be grateful if someone (Hi Frank!) would host the
>> installer somewhere. Rapidshare does allow limited download only.
>>
>> http://rapidshare.com/files/368276151/Squeak-4.1-9745-100326-installer.exe.html
>>

>> Changes log:
>>
>> * Updated installer filename
>> * Changed installer splash screen
>> * Updated other installer images
>> * Corrected some texts
>> * Added a desktop shortcut, optional
>> * Autoclose on uninstall, popup window on success
>> * No more ZipDLL dependency
>>
>> Anyone up to test uninstall + reboot? I'd like to know if the
>> directory is properly wiped out. Try also to uninstall while using
>> Squeak and then reboot. Make sure you know where you have installed
>> your files before doing this test. :)
>>
>> Ian.

Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Gary Dunn
On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 00:31 -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> I put a copy on:
>
>    http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/install/
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
>
> On 3/26/2010 12:22 AM, Ian Trudel wrote:
> > People hi,
> >
> > This is a small update on an installer for testing purpose, feedback
> > are welcomed. I'd be grateful if someone (Hi Frank!) would host the
> > installer somewhere. Rapidshare does allow limited download only.

Ian, Andreas, et al. --

Great work! I installed on Win 7, went smooth. Very attractive looking
with the Squeak logo.

A few nit picks:

1. Everything installed in \Users\gary\AppData\Local\Squeak 4.1 Alpha.
This is fine *except* that Windows default configuration has AppData
hidden, so to all but the most experienced Windows users Squeak will be
invisible and unreachable. I would prefer a folder named Squeak located
for XP under My Documents and for Win 7 a sibling of Documents, Photos,
Music, etc. which would be for storing things the user can change, such
as images files and projects. The VM should go in \Program Files\Squeak.
I have not had enough experience to say where the sources file should
go.

2. When I start Squeak with the Start menu shortcut or the desktop icon
an image selection dialog opens on \Users\gary\My Documents.

    - My new 4.1 image was not there
    - "My Documents" is the XP name, although Windows "understands"

3. There is no entry in the Remove Software control panel. I found an
uninstall program, did not test. This should be mentioned prominently
during installation.

4. Will this installer do the right thing with upgrades? I tend to put
all images in one folder. Is it better to put all 4.1 based images in a
Squeak 4.1 folder and, later, all 4.2 based images under a sibling
Squeak 4.2 folder? Upgrades have more of an effect on the VM, right? But
then there are the sources, and the ffi and other bits.

5. IMHO, the text in the Squeak desktop is too technical for first time
users. Leave Whats New on the desktop but minimized, and instead display
a welcome window that tells a first time user what to do ... how to
exit, how to open and close Squeak windows (the circle), links to
on-line tutorials and videos. Let's not have Squeak feel like an
Adventure game. (Anybody been around long enough to have played
Adventure, to experience the wonder of the Colossal Cave?)

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]

Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Ian Trudel-2
2010/3/26 Gary Dunn <[hidden email]>:
> Ian, Andreas, et al. --

Hi Gary,

> Great work! I installed on Win 7, went smooth. Very attractive looking
> with the Squeak logo.

Reminds me, does anyone has a vectorized version of the logo? It would
be much easier to work with.

> A few nit picks:
>
> 1. Everything installed in \Users\gary\AppData\Local\Squeak 4.1 Alpha.
> This is fine *except* that Windows default configuration has AppData
> hidden, so to all but the most experienced Windows users Squeak will be
> invisible and unreachable. I would prefer a folder named Squeak located
> for XP under My Documents and for Win 7 a sibling of Documents, Photos,
> Music, etc. which would be for storing things the user can change, such
> as images files and projects. The VM should go in \Program Files\Squeak.
> I have not had enough experience to say where the sources file should
> go.

My favourite approach would support multi-user environment but would
probably require to copy the image/source in every account - at least
on the first start-up. For this reason, I'd like to suggest we stick
to a single user install until it becomes a necessity to support a
multi-user install.

%LocalAppData% is currently used but I would gladly change it to
%UserProfile%\Documents\ if this is what people wants. Anyone else
for/against the change?

> 2. When I start Squeak with the Start menu shortcut or the desktop icon
> an image selection dialog opens on \Users\gary\My Documents.
>
>    - My new 4.1 image was not there
>    - "My Documents" is the XP name, although Windows "understands"

The behaviour was as expected here. It's easy to fix and I will add
the default directory to start in to the configuration file.

> 3. There is no entry in the Remove Software control panel. I found an
> uninstall program, did not test. This should be mentioned prominently
> during installation.

Good catch. I will look to add Squeak in the Remove Software control panel.

> 4. Will this installer do the right thing with upgrades? I tend to put
> all images in one folder. Is it better to put all 4.1 based images in a
> Squeak 4.1 folder and, later, all 4.2 based images under a sibling
> Squeak 4.2 folder? Upgrades have more of an effect on the VM, right? But
> then there are the sources, and the ffi and other bits.

The current behaviour stipulates the default directory created also
use Squeak version number and Squeak tag. This means versions won't
collide in any way. There is currently no upgrade support for the
VM/plugins/etc. Other Squeak related upgrades are naturally pushed in
with upgrade button within Squeak or whatever will be available with
the version packaged.

> 5. IMHO, the text in the Squeak desktop is too technical for first time
> users. Leave Whats New on the desktop but minimized, and instead display
> a welcome window that tells a first time user what to do ... how to
> exit, how to open and close Squeak windows (the circle), links to
> on-line tutorials and videos. Let's not have Squeak feel like an
> Adventure game. (Anybody been around long enough to have played
> Adventure, to experience the wonder of the Colossal Cave?)

Yes, that would be great. I'll update the installer with whatever will
be provided.

Thanks for your feedback, Gary.

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Chris Cunnington
IT:

http://www.sushistoreobject.com/squeak-logo.svg.zip

2010/3/26 Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]>:
> IT:
>
> "Reminds me, does anyone has a vectorized version of the logo? It would
> be much easier to work with."
>
> http://www.sushistoreobject.com/squeak-logo.svg.zip

Rock on. Thanks, Chris!

Andreas, it would be great to place such graphic resources on Squeak ftp.

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Bert Freudenberg
On 26.03.2010, at 19:44, Ian Trudel wrote:

> 2010/3/26 Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]>:
>> IT:
>>
>> "Reminds me, does anyone has a vectorized version of the logo? It would
>> be much easier to work with."
>>
>> http://www.sushistoreobject.com/squeak-logo.svg.zip
>

> Rock on. Thanks, Chris!
>
> Andreas, it would be great to place such graphic resources on Squeak ftp.
>
> Ian.
> --
> http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Tim's original artwork is at

http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/

- Bert -

Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Ian Trudel-2
People hi,

Another round for your own pleasure. It'd be handy if someone would
host the file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/368514200/Squeak-4.1-9745-100326-installer.exe.html

Changes log:
* Default install on %UserProfile%\Documents\<Squeak Directory>
* Fixed desktop shortcut
* Corrected product information
* Added Squeak to Remove Software / Control Panel

The software has to be installed with admin rights in order to fully
benefit from Remove Software / Control Panel. Shall I require admin
rights to install? It may be limiting some users depending on their
rights in a multi-user environment.

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Randal L. Schwartz

Ian> http://rapidshare.com/files/368514200/Squeak-4.1-9745-100326-installer.exe.html

If you have less than 100MB to transfer, check out drop.io (free!) without
all the weirdness that rapidshare.com has.  That won't work for permanent
hosting, but I like sharing drop.io when I can.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Casey Ransberger-2
And you can easily configure a kick-ass paisley wallpaper in colors worthy of Squeak!

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Ian> http://rapidshare.com/files/368514200/Squeak-4.1-9745-100326-installer.exe.html
>
> If you have less than 100MB to transfer, check out drop.io (free!) without
> all the weirdness that rapidshare.com has.  That won't work for permanent
> hosting, but I like sharing drop.io when I can.

In the meantime, I've put a copy up here:
http://www.angband.za.org/~frank/Squeak-4.1-9745-100326-installer.exe

frank

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 16:26 -0400, Ian Trudel wrote:

> People hi,
>
> Another round for your own pleasure. It'd be handy if someone would
> host the file.
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/368514200/Squeak-4.1-9745-100326-installer.exe.html
>
> Changes log:
> * Default install on %UserProfile%\Documents\<Squeak Directory>
> * Fixed desktop shortcut
> * Corrected product information
> * Added Squeak to Remove Software / Control Panel
>
> The software has to be installed with admin rights in order to fully
> benefit from Remove Software / Control Panel. Shall I require admin
> rights to install? It may be limiting some users depending on their
> rights in a multi-user environment.
>
> Ian.

Just tested. Works fine. In Win 7 everything installs under Documents,
which works fine and is nice because everything is in one place. As
unprivileged user there was no uninstall in Control Panel, but the
uninstall.exe worked well enough ... strange dialog box at the end about
program not installing successfully, just close it. Right-click
installer and run as administrator produces exactly the same result and
the Control Panel uninstall is there. Recommend this be explained on the
download web page.

If it isn't too hard I suggest putting in a donation pitch at the end
with info on where satisfied users can send some money. But first
someone needs to take care of that on the web site; I looked and could
not find any info on making a donation.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]

2010/3/31 Gary Dunn <[hidden email]>:
> Just tested. Works fine. In Win 7 everything installs under Documents,
> which works fine and is nice because everything is in one place. As
> unprivileged user there was no uninstall in Control Panel, but the
> uninstall.exe worked well enough ... strange dialog box at the end about
> program not installing successfully, just close it. Right-click
> installer and run as administrator produces exactly the same result and
> the Control Panel uninstall is there. Recommend this be explained on the
> download web page.

Thanks for testing, Gary. I am looking for alternatives available at
user level and some of them are probably available. I have also
noticed that many other open source projects demand admin level to use
their installer; few examples: jdk, 7z, gvim, FreeMind, NetBeans, NSIS
Unicode, OOo, etc. In all consideration, it might not be a problem to
demand admin level.

> If it isn't too hard I suggest putting in a donation pitch at the end
> with info on where satisfied users can send some money. But first
> someone needs to take care of that on the web site; I looked and could
> not find any info on making a donation.

It's never too hard but we are all very busy. ;)

The idea is however fantastic and I love it. Can anyone provide
information, graphics/buttons, web page, etc? I believe to have read
that SOB will set-up something once everything is approved with SFC.
It'd be great to coordinate this with the upcoming official release.

Ian.
--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

12