Persistence and worldbase server

Hans N Beck
Hi,

a question to persistence and worldbase servers (not shure if this
occured already in this list):

what kind of persistence  - if any - provides the next available
release ("hedgehog", 1.0) ? I've something read about worldbase
servers, but it sounds like  a big solution for big networks. But I
want to use maybe 5 instances of Croquet in a closed team for storing
and searching issues (requirements or feature requests for example),
what can I do in this case ?
(That the image itself provides some kind of persistence  is clear,
but one great value of databases is making queries )

Regards

Hans

Re: Persistence and worldbase server

Darius Clarke
Hi Hans,

I don't believe that Worldbase Servers are available or programmed yet.

In principle, lots of continuously running servers with an "invisible"
avatar in each Croquet world would keep a copy of the world alive and
in memory for clients to instantly visit as needed.

A lot depends on what you want to persist, how frequently it changes,
if the instance currently used and persisted at the same time, how
large is the data set, how many users need access to the data
simultaneously if at all, will this be peer-to-peer or will you have a
server available, will you be archiving avatars, 3D players/costumes
or other 3D artifacts, etc.

Squeak's "Magma" OODB can run a small workgroup of concurrent users
and save instances of many kinds of classes, including indexing and
sorting classes. It can run inside the user's image or run in a
separate instance on the same computer or run on a separate server.

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2665

Mailing list:
[hidden email]

Archives / Subscribe:
http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-browse?list=magma

Other Squeak persistency solutions which may match more familar data structures:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3582

Cheers,
Darius

Re: Persistence and worldbase server

Mark P. McCahill

On Jan 23, 2006, at 7:07 AM, Howard Stearns wrote:

>>    But Croquet is part of a larger context of computers and the
>> Internet at large.  For example, you can have a Jabber chat window
>> within Croquet, and use this to communicate 'out-of-band' with
>> people who are not using Croquet.

Jabber is also a way to advertise that you are "present" in a Croquet
world to people who are not in-world with you. The combination of
being able to chat and advertise presence is why my group has been
integrating Jabber into Croquet for a while now. See the demo at
C5 :-). Ideally one should also be able to do VoIP to call people
outside of the Croquet space, do video conferencing across the semi-
permeable membrane that separates the Croquet world from the "real"
world, and so on.

Serializing objects and meta information, and stuffing them into an
external, searchable database is also something that has been going
on for a while now,
and the experimental WorldBase we have been running is another
example of allowing for a semi-permeable membrane between the two
worlds (Croquet/real).

>> And you can go around serializing the state of Croquet objects and
>> put them in an external database. You can query such a database
>> and unserialize the data back into Croquet as different copies.
>> The distinction (in my mind) is that the out-of-band stuff aren't
>> live objects situated in context.
>>
>> Jasmine already has a basic out-of-band Worldbase interface. The
>> University of Minnesota runs an open SQL server for experimental
>> use, and you can use that as a model and set up your own to meet
>> your needs.

yup.

Re: Persistence and worldbase server

Bob Courchaine
[oops! Only sent this to Mark the first time.]

Mark P. McCahill wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2006, at 7:07 AM, Howard Stearns wrote:
>

>>>    But Croquet is part of a larger context of computers and the
>>> Internet at large.  For example, you can have a Jabber chat window
>>> within Croquet, and use this to communicate 'out-of-band' with
>>> people who are not using Croquet.
>

> Jabber is also a way to advertise that you are "present" in a Croquet
> world to people who are not in-world with you. The combination of  being
> able to chat and advertise presence is why my group has been
> integrating Jabber into Croquet for a while now. See the demo at  C5
> :-).

Which demo, Mark? Which C5?

Anyone know of a free link (non-IEEE or -ACM) to the demo?

Jabber's a very interesting protocol that may enable ways to integrate
lower powered devices into Croquet worlds.

TIA!

Bob

On Jan 23, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Bob Courchaine wrote:

>> Jabber is also a way to advertise that you are "present" in a Croquet
>> world to people who are not in-world with you. The combination of
>> being
>> able to chat and advertise presence is why my group has been
>> integrating Jabber into Croquet for a while now. See the demo at  C5
>> :-).
>
> Which demo, Mark? Which C5?

the demo I'll do this week (thursday) at C5-2006 for the
Vector Fields, Vehicles, and Virtual Presence paper.

> Anyone know of a free link (non-IEEE or -ACM) to the demo?
>
> Jabber's a very interesting protocol that may enable ways to integrate
> lower powered devices into Croquet worlds.
>
> TIA!
>
> Bob

Re: Persistence and worldbase server

Darius Clarke
Is anyone videoing the sessions at the conference?

Cheers,
Darius