PetitParser in 3.0?

Martin McClure-2
Anyone using PetitParser in Pharo 3.0?
What's the best repository to find PP for 3.0 in?

Thanks,

-Martin

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Martin McClure-2 wrote
Anyone using PetitParser in Pharo 3.0?
Yes!

1. Open the Config Browser from the World menu
2. Right click in the list pane and switch to the ss3 meta repo
3. Load the PP config
4. ConfigurationOfPetitParser project stableVersion load: 'Core'

HTH
Cheers,
Sean

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On smalltalkhub, Moose/PetitParser
And there is a image build at
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PetitParser/

Stephan

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stephan Eggermont wrote
Interesting. I wonder what the ci is loading, because if I try to load the default group in Pharo 3.0, I get an error (hence I load 'Core' and have no problems)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Stephan Eggermont-3
MetaRepoForPharo20 does not necessarily contain versions that work for Pharo 3 (or 4).
You might want to compare versions. Can't do it from here, as smalltalkhub crashes safari on iOS devices.

Stephan

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Martin McClure-2
On 07/17/2014 04:37 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Martin McClure-2 wrote
>> Anyone using PetitParser in Pharo 3.0?
>
> Yes!
>
> 1. Open the Config Browser from the World menu
> 2. Right click in the list pane and switch to the ss3 meta repo
> 3. Load the PP config
> 4. ConfigurationOfPetitParser project stableVersion load: 'Core'
>
> HTH

Thanks a bunch, Sean!

That loads in the latest 3.0 image, and the test pass.

I gather that the GUI tools have not been ported forward?

Regards,

-Martin

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Tudor Girba-2
It loads #development as any CI job should do.

Doru

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephan Eggermont wrote
Interesting. I wonder what the ci is loading, because if I try to load the
default group in Pharo 3.0, I get an error (hence I load 'Core' and have no
problems)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

EstebanLM
Hi,

This is a question for the moosers :)
Why there is no copy (with stable version) in metarepo of ll configurations that are under the moose umbrella?

cheers,
Esteban

On 18 Jul 2014, at 10:00, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Esteban wrote
>This is a question for the moosers :)
>Why there is no copy (with stable version) in metarepo of ll configurations that are under the moose umbrella?

That's a question of effort vs results. Moose builds on top of Pharo, which has no stable.
There are newer builds of Pharo 3 containing bug-fixes. Moose has no Metacello way to identify
which build it is running on so no way to create a stable. Moose is a large framework exercising
large parts of the Pharo code base so almost all bug-fix releases impact Moose.
The test suite of Pharo contains non-green tests so there is no easy way to track issues.
In addition there are of course the issues in Moose development itself.

Stephan

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

EstebanLM

On 18 Jul 2014, at 14:12, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban wrote
>> This is a question for the moosers :)
>> Why there is no copy (with stable version) in metarepo of ll configurations that are under the moose umbrella?
>
> That's a question of effort vs results. Moose builds on top of Pharo, which has no stable.

Pharo has a stable version, 3.
Bug fix releases are that: bug fixes, and does not break any compatibility.

> There are newer builds of Pharo 3 containing bug-fixes. Moose has no Metacello way to identify
> which build it is running on so no way to create a stable. Moose is a large framework exercising
> large parts of the Pharo code base so almost all bug-fix releases impact Moose.

That’s not true. Bug fixes do not break Pharo and shouldn’t break Moose.
The fact that you do not declare stable versions of Moose is the reason why you cannot provide a loadable version in Pharo3.
You just continued working and breaking backward compatibility. I’m perfectly ok with that (in fact, I really like all the work around moose), but you should provide a stable version for Pharo 3, like you should provide a development version for Pharo 4.

> The test suite of Pharo contains non-green tests so there is no easy way to track issues.

Again, not true. We released Pharo3 with no yellow/red tests.

Esteban

> In addition there are of course the issues in Moose development itself.
>
> Stephan

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Esteban,

Moose 5 is still under development. We will likely reach a stable version within one or two months. In the meantime, it is true that there are some subcomponents that are stable (such as PetitParser), but we do not have yet the capacity and the organization to be able to release it individually easily. Perhaps once we will streamline the use of tooling around Metacello it will get easier.

But, if people want to create a release of PetitParser, they are of course welcome to do it.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

stepharo
Hi martin

in Moose (working on 3.0) all the tools are working so I do not know the
status of the published configuration but it should work.
Have a look at Moose and the configuration repo from there.

Stef

On 18/7/14 04:15, Martin McClure wrote:

> On 07/17/2014 04:37 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>> Martin McClure-2 wrote
>>> Anyone using PetitParser in Pharo 3.0?
>> Yes!
>>
>> 1. Open the Config Browser from the World menu
>> 2. Right click in the list pane and switch to the ss3 meta repo
>> 3. Load the PP config
>> 4. ConfigurationOfPetitParser project stableVersion load: 'Core'
>>
>> HTH
> Thanks a bunch, Sean!
>
> That loads in the latest 3.0 image, and the test pass.
>
> I gather that the GUI tools have not been ported forward?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Martin

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Esteban wrote:
>Pharo has a stable version, 3.
>Bug fix releases are that: bug fixes, and does not break any compatibility.

That is the goal, but not currently the result.

>Again, not true. We released Pharo3 with no yellow/red tests.

The test runner in ci behaves different from the test runner in-image.
We used to have non-deterministic tests, I haven't checked
if they ar wall gone.
Running the test runner in all Pharo 3 builds shows failures and
errors.
(Mac Mavericks 10.9.3, vm356)

30852
30851

30850
30849
30848

Re: PetitParser in 3.0?

Martin McClure-2
On 07/18/2014 07:37 AM, stepharo wrote:
> Hi martin
>
> in Moose (working on 3.0) all the tools are working so I do not know the
> status of the published configuration but it should work.
> Have a look at Moose and the configuration repo from there.

Thanks, Stef (and Phil). I'll try loading from Moose.

Regards,

-Martin