Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Frank Shearar-3
Hi Dale,

I'm getting a build failure against Pharo 2.0 [1] with the error
"FileDoesNotExist:
/home/travis/dalehenrich-builderCI-cd2facd/builds/travisCI/TravisTranscript.txt".

I think that's because the before.st says "transcriptStream :=
((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem) workingDirectory / transcriptFileName)
readStream ]" and that file doesn't exist.

Is there a convenient way of saying "please open a readStream on this
file and, if it's not there, make one" ?

(If one semi-replicates the build, by opening a Pharo 2.0 image,
manually loading the ConfigurationOfControl, and running
"ConfigurationOfControl loadDevelopment", one will see Control 1.1.dev
running with a green light for Pharo 2.0!)

frank

[1] http://travis-ci.org/#!/frankshearar/Control/jobs/2282004

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Dale Henrichs
Frank,

I'll try to get the Pharo-2.0 build for builderCI working soon ...

On 31 August 2012 05:04, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I'll try to get the Pharo-2.0 build for builderCI working soon ...

I _think_ it'll be as simple as figuring out how to say "open this
file, creating it first if necessary" in FileSystem-speak. I realise
you've not done Metacello+Pharo2 yet, and asked on list hoping that
one of the FS folk would pipe up with something :)

frank

> Dale

Igor Stasenko
On 31 August 2012 08:10, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 August 2012 05:04, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Frank,
>>
>> I'll try to get the Pharo-2.0 build for builderCI working soon ...
>
> I _think_ it'll be as simple as figuring out how to say "open this
> file, creating it first if necessary" in FileSystem-speak. I realise
> you've not done Metacello+Pharo2 yet, and asked on list hoping that
> one of the FS folk would pipe up with something :)

'asdasd' asFileReference writeStreamDo: [:s |
        s nextPutAll: 'baz' ]

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 August 2012 16:43, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 August 2012 08:10, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 31 August 2012 05:04, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Frank,
>>>
>>> I'll try to get the Pharo-2.0 build for builderCI working soon ...
>>
>> I _think_ it'll be as simple as figuring out how to say "open this
>> file, creating it first if necessary" in FileSystem-speak. I realise
>> you've not done Metacello+Pharo2 yet, and asked on list hoping that
>> one of the FS folk would pipe up with something :)
>>

> 'asdasd' asFileReference writeStreamDo: [:s |
>         s nextPutAll: 'baz' ]

But for reading? My debug output's here:

    http://travis-ci.org/#!/frankshearar/Control/jobs/2288671

and the relevant code (I think) is

    transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem) workingDirectory
/ transcriptFileName) readStream

where transcriptFileName = 'TravisTranscript.txt'.

The "old style" file handling works, and says this:

    transcriptStream := fileDirectoryClass default newFileNamed:
transcriptFileName

frank

>> frank
>>
>>> Dale

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Igor Stasenko
On 31 August 2012 18:00, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 August 2012 16:43, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I _think_ it'll be as simple as figuring out how to say "open this
>>> file, creating it first if necessary" in FileSystem-speak. I realise
>>> you've not done Metacello+Pharo2 yet, and asked on list hoping that
>>> one of the FS folk would pipe up with something :)
>>>

>> 'asdasd' asFileReference writeStreamDo: [:s |
>>         s nextPutAll: 'baz' ]
>
> But for reading? My debug output's here:
>
>     http://travis-ci.org/#!/frankshearar/Control/jobs/2288671

reading non-existent file?

you know, you can always test if file exists before trying to open it.

ref := 'asdasd' asFileReference.
(ref exists and: [ ref isFile and: [ ref isReadable ]]) ifTrue: [ ref
readStream  ....]

i never used FS before.. so to post the code above, i vent to system browser,
and read some method names in FileReference class.
This is something what you can do by yourself, isn't? :)

> and the relevant code (I think) is
>
>     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem) workingDirectory
> / transcriptFileName) readStream

so, why you don't just wrap this thing with exception handler?

[     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem)
workingDirectory / transcriptFileName) readStream

] on: Error do: [ aha... somethign wrong with that file ]

this will prevent image from bailing out to OS. :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Igor Stasenko
And.. basic rule of thumb for headless mode:
 if you don't want image to leave to OS, put an exception handler
around your code.

Because in headless mode , an UnhandledException by default quits to
OS (logging an error before that, of course)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 August 2012 17:23, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 August 2012 18:00, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> 'asdasd' asFileReference writeStreamDo: [:s |
>>>         s nextPutAll: 'baz' ]
>>
>> But for reading? My debug output's here:
>>
>>     http://travis-ci.org/#!/frankshearar/Control/jobs/2288671
>>
> reading non-existent file?
>
> you know, you can always test if file exists before trying to open it.

I had mentioned that in the original mail.

> ref := 'asdasd' asFileReference.
> (ref exists and: [ ref isFile and: [ ref isReadable ]]) ifTrue: [ ref
> readStream  ....]
>
> i never used FS before.. so to post the code above, i vent to system browser,
> and read some method names in FileReference class.
> This is something what you can do by yourself, isn't? :)

Sure. And maybe I would have, if I didn't first have to get a Pharo
2.0 image and then install it and then figure out the various new APIs
and so on and so on. So instead I wimped out and asked a clear
question in a place where the experts on the relevant APIs would have
a chance to see it :P

>> and the relevant code (I think) is
>>
>>     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem) workingDirectory
>> / transcriptFileName) readStream
>>
> so, why you don't just wrap this thing with exception handler?
>
> [     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem)
> workingDirectory / transcriptFileName) readStream
>
> ] on: Error do: [ aha... somethign wrong with that file ]
>
> this will prevent image from bailing out to OS. :)

Well, no. Catching Error is a terrible idea. I'll just touch the file
if it doesn't already exist.

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer the question, Igor. If it's
any consolation, this means Dale & I can get our CI stuff working for
Pharo 2.0 that must quicker.

frank

>> where transcriptFileName = 'TravisTranscript.txt'.
>>
>> The "old style" file handling works, and says this:
>>
>>     transcriptStream := fileDirectoryClass default newFileNamed:
>> transcriptFileName
>>
>> frank

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Stéphane Ducasse

> Sure. And maybe I would have, if I didn't first have to get a Pharo
> 2.0 image and then install it and then figure out the various new APIs
> and so on and so on. So instead I wimped out and asked a clear
> question in a place where the experts on the relevant APIs would have
> a chance to see it :P

:)

>>> and the relevant code (I think) is
>>>
>>>    transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem) workingDirectory
>>> / transcriptFileName) readStream
>>>
>> so, why you don't just wrap this thing with exception handler?
>>
>> [     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem)
>> workingDirectory / transcriptFileName) readStream
>>
>> ] on: Error do: [ aha... somethign wrong with that file ]
>>
>> this will prevent image from bailing out to OS. :)
>
> Well, no. Catching Error is a terrible idea. I'll just touch the file
> if it doesn't already exist.
>
> Thanks for taking the trouble to answer the question, Igor. If it's
> any consolation, this means Dale & I can get our CI stuff working for
> Pharo 2.0 that must quicker.

Pay attention that 2.0 is bleeding edge for real.
We will take some action this week to improve the situation.

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Frank Shearar-3 wrote
> 'asdasd' asFileReference writeStreamDo: [:s |
>         s nextPutAll: 'baz' ]
First rule of filesystem... write something beautiful and it will probably work...
'path' asFileReference ensureFile ... pick a stream...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 August 2012 18:55, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Sure. And maybe I would have, if I didn't first have to get a Pharo
>> 2.0 image and then install it and then figure out the various new APIs
>> and so on and so on. So instead I wimped out and asked a clear
>> question in a place where the experts on the relevant APIs would have
>> a chance to see it :P
>
> :)

>>> so, why you don't just wrap this thing with exception handler?
>>>
>>> [     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem)
>>> workingDirectory / transcriptFileName) readStream
>>>
>>> ] on: Error do: [ aha... somethign wrong with that file ]
>>>
>>> this will prevent image from bailing out to OS. :)
>>
>> Well, no. Catching Error is a terrible idea. I'll just touch the file
>> if it doesn't already exist.
>>
>> Thanks for taking the trouble to answer the question, Igor. If it's
>> any consolation, this means Dale & I can get our CI stuff working for
>> Pharo 2.0 that must quicker.
>
> Pay attention that 2.0 is bleeding edge for real.
> We will take some action this week to improve the situation.

I understand :) In this particular case it's probably just
unfamiliarity on my part.

I know, at least, that my Control library works in both Pharo 1.4 and
2.0, and while ContextPart's left alone I shouldn't need to touch code
much to keep it working. It's just the CI part that's currently
broken, again, probably because I haven't bothered reading the
documentation properly yet :)

frank

> Stef

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 August 2012 19:03, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frank Shearar-3 wrote
>>
>>> 'asdasd' asFileReference writeStreamDo: [:s |
>>>         s nextPutAll: 'baz' ]
>>

> First rule of filesystem... write something beautiful and it will probably
> work...
> 'path' asFileReference ensureFile ... pick a stream...

Now _that_ looks like what I was looking for! Thanks!

At any rate, it turns out Dale's all over the issue, and resolved
everything (but I've not tested it yet :) ):
https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/commit/7ce30ca1b78f9c3f34977614f148f60036573c78

frank

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Igor Stasenko
On 31 August 2012 20:03, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frank Shearar-3 wrote
>>
>>> 'asdasd' asFileReference writeStreamDo: [:s |
>>>         s nextPutAll: 'baz' ]
>>

> First rule of filesystem... write something beautiful and it will probably
> work...
> 'path' asFileReference ensureFile ... pick a stream...

well, i was unsure if the intent was to create a file if it not exists.
And reading from 0-sized file, you just created, don't looks like a
good idea either.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 August 2012 19:25, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 August 2012 20:03, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Frank Shearar-3 wrote

>> First rule of filesystem... write something beautiful and it will probably
>> work...
>> 'path' asFileReference ensureFile ... pick a stream...
>>
> well, i was unsure if the intent was to create a file if it not exists.
> And reading from 0-sized file, you just created, don't looks like a
> good idea either.

touch foo.txt; tail -f foo.txt

Something else then writes to the file.

But as I mention in another mail, it looks like Dale's fixed the issue already.

frank

>> --

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Igor Stasenko
On 31 August 2012 18:54, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> This is something what you can do by yourself, isn't? :)
>
> Sure. And maybe I would have, if I didn't first have to get a Pharo
> 2.0 image and then install it and then figure out the various new APIs
> and so on and so on. So instead I wimped out and asked a clear
> question in a place where the experts on the relevant APIs would have
> a chance to see it :P

i lost in negations  :)
clearly, i am not an expert in FS API (as most of others here).

>>> and the relevant code (I think) is
>>>
>>>     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem) workingDirectory
>>> / transcriptFileName) readStream
>>>
>> so, why you don't just wrap this thing with exception handler?
>>
>> [     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem)
>> workingDirectory / transcriptFileName) readStream
>>
>> ] on: Error do: [ aha... somethign wrong with that file ]
>>
>> this will prevent image from bailing out to OS. :)
>
> Well, no. Catching Error is a terrible idea. I'll just touch the file
> if it doesn't already exist.

so, then, following Sean's rule, it should be something beautiful like:

'bajsjn' asFileReference touch.

Because i understood your question ("please open a readStream on this
file and, if it's not there, make one") as:
- if file exists, open it for reading and read smthng
- if file doesn't exists create it (but apparently there will be
nothing to read from)

> Thanks for taking the trouble to answer the question, Igor. If it's
> any consolation, this means Dale & I can get our CI stuff working for
> Pharo 2.0 that must quicker.

yes, that would be nice consolation :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Dale Henrichs
I am poised for getting the Metacello Preview running in Pharo2.0, but there are a couple of stability issues that are outstanding at the moment, but I believe Esteban and co. will hit that hard this week...

Dale

| On 31 August 2012 18:54, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
|
| >> This is something what you can do by yourself, isn't? :)
| >
| > Sure. And maybe I would have, if I didn't first have to get a Pharo
| > 2.0 image and then install it and then figure out the various new
| > APIs
| > and so on and so on. So instead I wimped out and asked a clear
| > question in a place where the experts on the relevant APIs would
| > have
| > a chance to see it :P
|
| i lost in negations  :)
| clearly, i am not an expert in FS API (as most of others here).

| >> so, why you don't just wrap this thing with exception handler?
| >>
| >> [     transcriptStream := ((Smalltalk at: #FileSystem)
| >> workingDirectory / transcriptFileName) readStream
| >>
| >> ] on: Error do: [ aha... somethign wrong with that file ]
| >>
| >> this will prevent image from bailing out to OS. :)
| >
| > Well, no. Catching Error is a terrible idea. I'll just touch the
| > file
| > if it doesn't already exist.
| >

| so, then, following Sean's rule, it should be something beautiful
| like:
|
| 'bajsjn' asFileReference touch.
|
| Because i understood your question ("please open a readStream on this
| file and, if it's not there, make one") as:
| - if file exists, open it for reading and read smthng
| - if file doesn't exists create it (but apparently there will be
| nothing to read from)
|
| > Thanks for taking the trouble to answer the question, Igor. If it's
| > any consolation, this means Dale & I can get our CI stuff working
| > for
| > Pharo 2.0 that must quicker.
| >

| yes, that would be nice consolation :)
|
| > frank
|

| --
| Best regards,
| Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

EstebanLM
yeah, we are working on that... but there are still some RPackage issues non completely handled :(

I suppose for week-end we'll be back in a stable stage :)

Esteban

On Sep 5, 2012, at 7:20 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am poised for getting the Metacello Preview running in Pharo2.0, but there are a couple of stability issues that are outstanding at the moment, but I believe Esteban and co. will hit that hard this week...
>
> Dale

Re: Pharo 2.0 + Travis = ?

Dale Henrichs
When the RPackage issues are resolved I'll take another crack at loading the Metacello Preview into pahro-2.0:)

Dale

| yeah, we are working on that... but there are still some RPackage
| issues non completely handled :(
|
| I suppose for week-end we'll be back in a stable stage :)
|
| Esteban
|
| On Sep 5, 2012, at 7:20 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
|
| > I am poised for getting the Metacello Preview running in Pharo2.0,
| > but there are a couple of stability issues that are outstanding at
| > the moment, but I believe Esteban and co. will hit that hard this
| > week...
| >
| > Dale

| > |
| > | On 31 August 2012 18:54, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
| > | wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | i lost in negations  :)
| > | clearly, i am not an expert in FS API (as most of others here).
| > |

| > |
| > | so, then, following Sean's rule, it should be something beautiful
| > | like:
| > |
| > | 'bajsjn' asFileReference touch.
| > |
| > | Because i understood your question ("please open a readStream on
| > | this
| > | file and, if it's not there, make one") as:
| > | - if file exists, open it for reading and read smthng
| > | - if file doesn't exists create it (but apparently there will be
| > | nothing to read from)
| > |

| > |
| > | yes, that would be nice consolation :)