Pharo DatabaseField new disabled

Brad Selfridge
I'm curious as to why the "DatabaseField new" method has been disabled/overridden? Is this strategic in any way?

I'm working on a Pharo Glorp GUI and am kind of needing the "new" method to be usable.
Brad Selfridge

Re: Pharo DatabaseField new disabled

Esteban A. Maringolo
You can always use #basicNew, hopefully followed by #initialize, but
not strictly necessary if you are doing a lot of internal state
manipulation and can handle "uninitialized" object state.

Best regards,
Esteban A. Maringolo

> I'm curious as to why the "DatabaseField new" method has been
> disabled/overridden? Is this strategic in any way?
>
> I'm working on a Pharo Glorp GUI and am kind of needing the "new" method to
> be usable.
>

> -----
> Brad Selfridge

Re: Pharo DatabaseField new disabled

Alan Knight
Depending what you're trying to do, you could also use some kind of a builder pattern that has a field representation that won't be turned into a real field until it's saved, when it has enough information. Or you could use named:type: with a default name and type and change them later.