Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

12

Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi,

I recently downloaded the latest Pharo Dev and Web images, and also the 2.8.4 one-click (which seems to be based on the Pharo image and VM too).

And I found out that its performance is terrible, it takes forever (you perceive the delay) to open a browser, browse senders, change a method selection on the OB or even do a "print-it" on a workspace.

However when accessing seaside through the web UI, it's blazing fast. Which makes me think there is something which is not working as it should.

As a side note, I downloaded the latest Cuis image from http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html, and its amazingly fast.

¿Am I missing something?

Best regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Stéphane Ducasse
take the core image.
The default tools in web dev are too slow right now.

Stef

On Jul 13, 2009, at 11:05 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently downloaded the latest Pharo Dev and Web images, and also
> the 2.8.4 one-click (which seems to be based on the Pharo image and
> VM too).
>
> And I found out that its performance is terrible, it takes forever
> (you perceive the delay) to open a browser, browse senders, change a
> method selection on the OB or even do a "print-it" on a workspace.
>
> However when accessing seaside through the web UI, it's blazing
> fast. Which makes me think there is something which is not working
> as it should.
>
> As a side note, I downloaded the latest Cuis image from http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html
> , and its amazingly fast.
>
> ¿Am I missing something?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Michael Rueger-6
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
> take the core image.
> The default tools in web dev are too slow right now.

Maybe we should point that out somewhere as we promote the dev-images
as being "Pharo"?
As we can see from some of the discussion on the Squeak list people
then think Pharo in general is dog slow...

Michael

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Stéphane Ducasse

> Maybe we should point that out somewhere as we promote the dev-images
> as being "Pharo"?
> As we can see from some of the discussion on the Squeak list people
> then think Pharo in general is dog slow...

easy for them.

Damien could you start to make pharo-dev having less tools and
that we see what is the default UI?
David is working on a new version of the browser but in case of speed
problem
we should probably use the one of lukas.

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Hi estaban

> I recently downloaded the latest Pharo Dev and Web images, and also
> the 2.8.4 one-click (which seems to be based on the Pharo image and
> VM too).
>
> And I found out that its performance is terrible, it takes forever
> (you perceive the delay) to open a browser, browse senders, change a
> method selection on the OB or even do a "print-it" on a workspace.
>
> However when accessing seaside through the web UI, it's blazing
> fast. Which makes me think there is something which is not working
> as it should.

PackageInfo and the package browser are slow. We are working on that.
We removed recently the package annotation
in the senders (because they scan all the image because of package
info implementation) but we need this information
to curve out etoys.
You can take the default browser or the browser of lukas to get a much
faster experience.

> As a side note, I downloaded the latest Cuis image from http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html
> , and its amazingly fast.

As a side note. We do not consider ourselves in competition with Cuis.
We integrated more than 1500 bug fixes and improvements (pragmas,
closure compiler, traits....) and even more if we consider the version
used in Cuis.
We support truetype fonts and we are cleaning the system, when the
cruft will be removed we will probably
focus on making it faster. We are rewriting Package info from scratch.
Now it takes time but feel free to join.

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Lukas Renggli
> And I found out that its performance is terrible, it takes forever (you
> perceive the delay) to open a browser, browse senders, change a method
> selection on the OB or even do a "print-it" on a workspace.

I use images that have the same tools loaded as the Seaside One-Click
image for all my development (see the load script
<http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ImageBuildScripts>). I find it
pretty snappy, however I use the standard Squeak look:

    UIThemeStandardSqueak beCurrent

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Adrian Lienhard
We really need to change this situation.

As Lukas pointed out, its not the OmniBrowser implementation that is
slow. There are some extended features of OmniBrowser that use
computation intensive or inefficient parts of the system like
PackageInfo. I really appreciate all these cool new features, but if
they make the browser slow, they defeat the whole purpose.

Users don't know the details and they don't care. If they open a Pharo
image and its slow, then this just gives a bad impression. If people
start telling each other "Pharo is slow", we will loose reputation
that is very hard to win back.

So I suggest to either disable the features that make the browser slow
so that it is snappy again or to replace it with the version Lukas is
using until it is fast enough.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:49 , Michael Rueger wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Stéphane
> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> take the core image.
>> The default tools in web dev are too slow right now.
>
> Maybe we should point that out somewhere as we promote the dev-images
> as being "Pharo"?
> As we can see from some of the discussion on the Squeak list people
> then think Pharo in general is dog slow...
>
> Michael

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Janko Mivšek
Adrian Lienhard pravi:

> We really need to change this situation.
>
> As Lukas pointed out, its not the OmniBrowser implementation that is
> slow. There are some extended features of OmniBrowser that use
> computation intensive or inefficient parts of the system like
> PackageInfo. I really appreciate all these cool new features, but if
> they make the browser slow, they defeat the whole purpose.
>
> Users don't know the details and they don't care. If they open a Pharo
> image and its slow, then this just gives a bad impression. If people
> start telling each other "Pharo is slow", we will loose reputation
> that is very hard to win back.
>
> So I suggest to either disable the features that make the browser slow
> so that it is snappy again or to replace it with the version Lukas is
> using until it is fast enough.

I agree completely with Adrian here. Please switch off those dynamic
category features and similar until they will run efficiently.

Current impression speed-wise is actually very bad and only for the
people with strong nerves. But for competition with other Smalltalks, no
chance! And a chance with 1.0 release will be lost in a reputation
you'll improve back very hard.

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Yes david is working on that.
I removed the package in senders and 'm working on a replacement for
Package info (but not for tomorrow),
Stef

On Jul 14, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> We really need to change this situation.
>
> As Lukas pointed out, its not the OmniBrowser implementation that is
> slow. There are some extended features of OmniBrowser that use
> computation intensive or inefficient parts of the system like
> PackageInfo. I really appreciate all these cool new features, but if
> they make the browser slow, they defeat the whole purpose.
>
> Users don't know the details and they don't care. If they open a Pharo
> image and its slow, then this just gives a bad impression. If people
> start telling each other "Pharo is slow", we will loose reputation
> that is very hard to win back.
>
> So I suggest to either disable the features that make the browser slow
> so that it is snappy again or to replace it with the version Lukas is
> using until it is fast enough.
>

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:49 , Michael Rueger wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Stéphane
>> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> take the core image.
>>> The default tools in web dev are too slow right now.
>>
>> Maybe we should point that out somewhere as we promote the dev-images
>> as being "Pharo"?
>> As we can see from some of the discussion on the Squeak list people
>> then think Pharo in general is dog slow...
>>
>> Michael

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Mariano Martinez Peck
.

Users don't know the details and they don't care. If they open a Pharo
image and its slow, then this just gives a bad impression. If people
start telling each other "Pharo is slow", we will loose reputation
that is very hard to win back.

+9999999999999999999999999999

I recommend Pharo to a lot of people that was using Squeak and this is the first thing they told me and the first thing that happens. It doesn't matter how many fixes you did, or closures or traits. If you open a browser and takes 1 seconds. You close it. You even don't see all of the real features. And as Andrian says, they doesn't know why it is slow, or how to have a faster Pharo . They don't know what to remove or whateever.

Please, we are loosing gays for this topic.

So I suggest to either disable the features that make the browser slow
so that it is snappy again or to replace it with the version Lukas is
using until it is fast enough.

As I said, +999999999999999999999

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:49 , Michael Rueger wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Stéphane
> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> take the core image.
>> The default tools in web dev are too slow right now.
>
> Maybe we should point that out somewhere as we promote the dev-images
> as being "Pharo"?
> As we can see from some of the discussion on the Squeak list people
> then think Pharo in general is dog slow...
>
> Michael

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Stef,

2009/7/14 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Hi estaban
[SNIP]

>> As a side note, I downloaded the latest Cuis image from http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html
>> , and its amazingly fast.

> As a side note. We do not consider ourselves in competition with Cuis.
> We integrated more than 1500 bug fixes and improvements (pragmas,
> closure compiler, traits....) and even more if we consider the version
> used in Cuis.

I know you're not competition, just put the example as a comparison of
how fast a minimum image can run on actual hardware.

I know Pharo is a superior alternative, with not only speed in mind.
And I like its objective.

> We support truetype fonts and we are cleaning the system, when the
> cruft will be removed we will probably focus on making it faster.

I understand, it just surprised me that an alpha release was such
slow, as somebody said below its simple dissuasive to "give Pharo a
try now it's alpha" and find that.

> We are rewriting Package info from scratch.
> Now it takes time but feel free to join.

I hope to contribute with something, even if it's just a bug report/fix.

Regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi all,

2009/7/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Users don't know the details and they don't care. If they open a Pharo
>> image and its slow, then this just gives a bad impression. If people
>> start telling each other "Pharo is slow", we will loose reputation
>> that is very hard to win back.

> +9999999999999999999999999999

+1 to that.

> I recommend Pharo to a lot of people that was using Squeak and this is the
> first thing they told me and the first thing that happens. It doesn't matter
> how many fixes you did, or closures or traits. If you open a browser and
> takes 1 seconds. You close it. You even don't see all of the real features.
> And as Andrian says, they doesn't know why it is slow, or how to have a
> faster Pharo . They don't know what to remove or whateever.
>
> Please, we are loosing gays for this topic.

An guys too ;-)

>> So I suggest to either disable the features that make the browser slow
>> so that it is snappy again or to replace it with the version Lukas is
>> using until it is fast enough.
>
> As I said, +999999999999999999999

+1

Regards,

--
Esteban.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

2009/7/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Users don't know the details and they don't care. If they open a Pharo
>> image and its slow, then this just gives a bad impression. If people
>> start telling each other "Pharo is slow", we will loose reputation
>> that is very hard to win back.

> +9999999999999999999999999999

+1 to that.

> I recommend Pharo to a lot of people that was using Squeak and this is the
> first thing they told me and the first thing that happens. It doesn't matter
> how many fixes you did, or closures or traits. If you open a browser and
> takes 1 seconds. You close it. You even don't see all of the real features.
> And as Andrian says, they doesn't know why it is slow, or how to have a
> faster Pharo . They don't know what to remove or whateever.
>
> Please, we are loosing gays for this topic.

An guys too ;-)

hehehehe sorry. You understood me :)

>> So I suggest to either disable the features that make the browser slow
>> so that it is snappy again or to replace it with the version Lukas is
>> using until it is fast enough.
>
> As I said, +999999999999999999999

+1

Regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

keith1y
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi estaban
>

>> I recently downloaded the latest Pharo Dev and Web images, and also
>> the 2.8.4 one-click (which seems to be based on the Pharo image and
>> VM too).
>>
>> And I found out that its performance is terrible, it takes forever
>> (you perceive the delay) to open a browser, browse senders, change a
>> method selection on the OB or even do a "print-it" on a workspace.
>>
>> However when accessing seaside through the web UI, it's blazing
>> fast. Which makes me think there is something which is not working
>> as it should.
>>

> PackageInfo and the package browser are slow.
as I said Matthew already sped up PackageInfo by at least a factor of 10
in MC1.5

Keith

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Ok we will fix that for 1.0
right now we are not even in beta.

Stef

> Users don't know the details and they don't care. If they open a Pharo
> image and its slow, then this just gives a bad impression. If people
> start telling each other "Pharo is slow", we will loose reputation
> that is very hard to win back.
>
> +9999999999999999999999999999
>
> I recommend Pharo to a lot of people that was using Squeak and this
> is the first thing they told me and the first thing that happens. It
> doesn't matter how many fixes you did, or closures or traits. If you
> open a browser and takes 1 seconds. You close it. You even don't see
> all of the real features. And as Andrian says, they doesn't know why
> it is slow, or how to have a faster Pharo . They don't know what to
> remove or whateever.
>
> Please, we are loosing gays for this topic.
>

> So I suggest to either disable the features that make the browser slow
> so that it is snappy again or to replace it with the version Lukas is
> using until it is fast enough.
>
> As I said, +999999999999999999999
>

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:49 , Michael Rueger wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Stéphane
> > Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> take the core image.
> >> The default tools in web dev are too slow right now.
> >
> > Maybe we should point that out somewhere as we promote the dev-
> images
> > as being "Pharo"?
> > As we can see from some of the discussion on the Squeak list people
> > then think Pharo in general is dog slow...
> >
> > Michael

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

Thanks esteban.

> Hi Stef,
>
> 2009/7/14 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi estaban
> [SNIP]
>
>>> As a side note, I downloaded the latest Cuis image from http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html
>>> , and its amazingly fast.
>
>> As a side note. We do not consider ourselves in competition with
>> Cuis.
>> We integrated more than 1500 bug fixes and improvements (pragmas,
>> closure compiler, traits....) and even more if we consider the
>> version
>> used in Cuis.
>
> I know you're not competition, just put the example as a comparison of
> how fast a minimum image can run on actual hardware.
>
> I know Pharo is a superior alternative, with not only speed in mind.
> And I like its objective.
>
>> We support truetype fonts and we are cleaning the system, when the
>> cruft will be removed we will probably focus on making it faster.
>
> I understand, it just surprised me that an alpha release was such
> slow, as somebody said below its simple dissuasive to "give Pharo a
> try now it's alpha" and find that.
>
>> We are rewriting Package info from scratch.
>> Now it takes time but feel free to join.
>
> I hope to contribute with something, even if it's just a bug report/
> fix.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Esteban.

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

hernanmd
Dear Keith
  Can you please specify what's the proper way to update Monticello? Is there a way to do it without the Installer package? If the Installer package is really a must for updating Monticello, can you point what is the right way to install the Installer? Does the same procedure work equally for 3.9, 3.10 and Pharo images?
Thanks in advance

Hernán

2009/7/14 Keith Hodges <[hidden email]>

> PackageInfo and the package browser are slow.
as I said Matthew already sped up PackageInfo by at least a factor of 10
in MC1.5

Keith

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

hernanmd
I mean Monticello/PackageInfo

Hernán

Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
> Dear Keith
>   Can you please specify what's the proper way to update Monticello?
> Is there a way to do it without the Installer package? If the
> Installer package is really a must for updating Monticello, can you
> point what is the right way to install the Installer? Does the same
> procedure work equally for 3.9, 3.10 and Pharo images?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Hernán
See previous email.

Also Universes has an entry for Monticello1.5 and 1.6

Installer can load the source.st file from a mcz, this is needed to load
Monticello. All the scripts for loading Monticello into various images
are in InstallerScripts.

Keith

Re: Pharo-Dev/web Image slowness

hernanmd
So, please correct me if I am wrong:

1) The most secure cross-fork way to update Monticello for clean images is

HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'ftp.squeak.org/3.11/scripts/LPF.st'.

2) Installer is necessary to update Monticello to 1.5 or 1.6

3) It is well-know that packages like OmniBrowser doesn't load after this update is done? (at least in Squeak images)

See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7369